Seating distance from large screen TV
sh3ll
Was told to post here instead of Other as I got no response til recently. I will be doing a budget TV room in finished basement. Only wide enough for 3 across big recliner/sectional style seating w/ the cup holders. If I got a 60" TV, prob LCD (that may be too big) how far away must the 1st row be so that it doesn't feel like it's smacking you in face? Is there a formula? Do I need to go to the mfgr to find out? Any advice on size? 8' ceiling w/ soffet at left 7' Ignore the wall speakers, they will be taken out. Thank you
I do not have a formula for you, though I'm sure others with more experience will be able to help. I just wanted to show you this lovely photo of a basement TV/Screening room that captures my ideal of the genre:

January 3, 2013 at 6:45AM   
faeryleila
The employees at your electronic store will be able to answer your question. They have a formula that they go by. I recently bought a tv as well and they helped me to choose the correct size ;-)
January 3, 2013 at 6:50AM   
mmilos
This article should be helpful in answering your questions: http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html
January 3, 2013 at 7:01AM   
Diamondflame
For 60" screen the recommended viewing distance is 15 feet. However I'd like to point out your personal preferences should take precedence. I for one love to get immersed in a movie and would usually opt for the front rows in a cinema. My current set up with a 42" plasma screen has me viewing from 6 feet away even though the recommended distance is 10 ft.
January 3, 2013 at 7:05AM   
sh3ll
Thank you all esp Diamondflame...I will have to go smaller so this is a great start, but now I can take my tape measure and go from there.
January 4, 2013 at 5:28AM   
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
Kitchen back splash tiles
This kitchen is tiny and very dark with black cabinets,...
Lighting, paint, media center in my living room
Hello, I have uploaded a discussion about my living...
Need help to revamp my house maybe adding trims...
I would like to add trims to the front of my house...
Suggestions for living room
Now that we finally have the main pieces purchased...