Is artificial grass cat-safe?
manzmama
January 3, 2013 in Photo Questions
Some time ago, one of our cats swallowed a small plastic object that resulted in an infection of the intestines and required a painful operation to remove. The vet advised that he will not survive another similar incident.
Our landscaping designer has proposed the use of artificial grass, is it totally cat-safe?
saltywisps
I believe there are some considerations you to to think about regarding the "turf" that may have relevance on it being cat safe or not.

Synthetic Lawn is plastic so it get's really hot in the sun during the summer. It get's so hot that it is not easy to walk on barefoot. Some sports fields install a sprinkler system to spray it down so that it can cool before being used.

Synthetic lawn also needs to be cleaned with a synthetic lawn vacuum (or sprayed off). I'm not sure how strong the vacuum is but you should think about the fact that dirt and bacteria will get caught in the plastic over time and the lawn could house disease in certain areas that maybe drain less or continually get dirty.

I'm all for synthetic lawn but there are draw backs,
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:32PM
Team Sports Industry Ltd.
Yes the temperature on artificial grass surface will be a little higher than natural grass, it is one of the disadvantages of artificial lawn. But in the recent years it goes better because the industry had invested a lot to research on this and the feelings improved.

The dirty things will not go deeply into the artificial grass system. As we recommend to infill silica sands into the artificial grass to keep the fibers stand up and make the system last for a longer period of time. The sands should be 2/3-3/4 of the grass thickness. The rain will clear the surface regularly. Certainly the surface will look better if you can brush the grass every one or two months.

The latest generation of artificial grass contains no heavy metals and safe for kids, pets and players. There are disadvantages, but the advantages to use artificial grass is also obviously: No watering, no mowing, no fertilizer, beautiful and clean area all the year round.
1 Like   March 27, 2013 at 6:20PM
EasyTurf
TSIL is right on the money .... synthetic turf is definitely safe for pets and kids. We've come a long way from the Astroturf of yesteryear ...

The main differentiation in EasyTurf products is the MaxxFlow backing, a proprietary 100% permeable backing that drains faster and cleaner than any other turf backing, standing toe to toe with the best permeable paver technology. (video here www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPiptLLbaqs)

Other artificial grass brands either have holes punched into the back for drainage or have to come to complete saturation before draining, absorbing bacteria, allergens, urine and other materials before draining.

Bottom line ... we believe EasyTurf is unmatched in durability, look and feel, and is the best for pets ...
Check us out at www.easyturf.com

Here's a few of our recent installs ....

let me know if you have any questions ... I'd be happy to help.
George
0 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 8:43PM
Team Sports Industry Ltd.
Hi, EasyTurf, will you consider to import artificial grass for some of your projects?
0 Likes   April 2, 2013 at 8:22AM
EasyTurf
Presently, FieldTurf leads the synthetic grass industry in manufacturing excellence and product innovation. EasyTurf, the landscape arm of FieldTurf, supplies turf to commercial and residential clients throughout North America. Our turf is manufactured in Calhoun, Georgia.
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 2:28PM
Team Sports Industry Ltd.
Yes Field Turf is a big brother in the industry, a great company.
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 8:27PM
need cat safe furniture
I have six cats who have scratched my furniture to...
How can I close in my porch so my cats can go out there safely?
I'm having my porch rebuilt and I'd like to make it...
Need help choosing plants safe for our cats
Would like large floor plants like palms or ferns plus...
Know any artificial grass rug that is comfy to the feet?
Does anyone know where I can get a rug of artificial...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Plank wall bedroom -- color scheme & furniture ideas?
We have this beautiful plank wall in our bedroom, inspired...
Matching cabainets in kitchen/stairs/bathroom
My kitchen is a dark chocolate and my staircase is...
Need help exterior paint ideas. Florida living
House was built in 1941 . Tile roof light gray tones...
Will this kitchen function?
One of our wishes was to have enough seating for five...