We have a cedar ceiling cathedral and we want to install pot lights.
lookingg
Currently, the light fixtures are on the exterior of the ceiling. We want to remove them and install pot lights.
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
You'll need to be able to install the recessed lighting in insulated electrical boxes and there won't likely be any way to do this in a cathedral ceiling, unfortunately.
   January 3, 2013 at 3:01PM
jagood
Unless the ceiling isn't the underside of the roof - we have a cathedral ceiling of cedar, with attic space above it. Can you go up in the attic and see how your roof is constructed in that area?
   January 3, 2013 at 3:29PM
Walden Design Group - Cynthia Walden
Not sure what your question is. There are recessed housings designed for sloped ceilings. Your existing conditions and local building codes will determine if you can use what is commonly referred to as a remodel housing or if you will need the ic-airseal type. If the latter and if you don't have attic crawl space access between the cathedral ceiling and your roof, you will need to remove some of the cedar ceiling to install the housing. That could be a costly project. Alternative down lighting approaches for cathedral ceiling spaces include low voltage cable or monorail systems. The materials will be more expensive; however, they can likely be installed without disturbing your ceiling.
   January 3, 2013 at 3:58PM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Yes, good points. I was thinking this was a cathedral ceiling that was the underside of a roof where there wouldn't be the depth to accommodate proper boxes. We definitely need more information!
   January 3, 2013 at 6:37PM
need help with a bathroom
I have a 7 by 10 space that I want to put a small bathroom...
Glass shower needs robe/towel hooks
I see lots of gorgeous showers of all glass but they...
Can't find lights I want for kitchen island in silver finish
I've search through hundreds of pages of lighting but...
Choosing whites for kitchen cabinet and walls
We are creating a 2-tone kitchen with white wall, white...
Experienced dog owners,please help !
We got a puppy ,she is 4 months old now and my life...