Small room with sloped ceilings - What to Do?
war_eagle_rto
I need some help. I have a small 10 ft long by 8 ft wide room with a sloped ceiling on two sides. The walls on each side of the room are 5 ft tall before they start to slope in. This room is currently a blank canvus. I would like to turn it into a home office but have no idea where to start. I would like it to have a rustic or modern look. This room is also located off the side of a bigger 18 ft long by 14 ft wide room, so I would like to be able to tie the rooms together somehow. I attached pictures but please note the panaramic shot of the all white room with sloped ceilings makes the room look bigger than actual. Any help would be amazing as I am totally lost.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 2:20PM
Jayme H.
My first home had two bedrooms like this one...I did the planking, pale grey/almost whitish semi transparent stain on planking similar to the above posted...it was sooo cute!! I miss that house!! We did ceilings, walls, but had off white carpet.
    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 2:24PM
war_eagle_rto
Thanks for the help. I want to use the space for an office, can't believe I forgot to put that in.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 6:00PM
lizharen1916
In my humble non-decorator opinion, I would create built in bookshelves surrounding the window. I would put a great desk in front of the window facing out. A beautiful area rug in the center of the room. A loveseat to the right or left as you go in the door along with a beautiful chair on the opposite side with a lamp next to the chair so you can sit and read. Printers are wireless these days so you can put that in a closet if you're using it for a full fledged office. That room has a lot of potential. Good luck!
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 6:20PM
lizharen1916
BTW, you have some beautiful photos saved in your idea book. I found that looking at the photos here allowed me to narrow down my likes, but it also blew my mind out. I had to take a break from it.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 6:57PM
Barnhart Gallery
What a cozy office space this will be. I'd run countertop desk space over file/storage cabs with loads of leg room -- my trick for unseen countertop support is the 20 inch, $10 mailbox bracket from the Home Depot -- all along the short walls. Here is some inspiration: http://www.houzz.com/attic-office
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 7:06PM
cghdesign
Build in bookshelves into the 5' walls under the slope. There should be attic space behind those walls. Float a desk in the middle of the room to take advantage of the light from the window.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 7:21PM
smldesigns
Agree with cghdesign - I wouldn't clutter up the window wall with bookshelves. Keep it simple and let the desk be the focal point.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 7:49PM
lizharen1916
Books warm a room up for me, but...that's me.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 8:41PM
Sloped ceilings
We have about a foot and a half of space above our...
caitybear
Our ridiculous sloped ceiling and paint challenge!
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to paint...
sugar_berry
Need help for our living room - how to decorate sloped/slanted ceiling
Hi, I are planning to update our living room and would...
homeplenty
Need help chosing vanity size in half bath w/ sloped ceiling
I am in the process of having a cedar closet upstairs...
stayghost
Need help with designs and ideas for breakfastbar/bar
we are in the process of remodeling kitchen I have...
Rhonda Thomas
Wanting a newer look
I want to change the colour and tile. Any suggestions...
lorifritz
Colour dilemma
I am building a new house and have chosen hand made...
rossallan
Ethan Allen Chairs: old or old and cool.
If I recushion and reupholster, would these look cool...
Laura Zinter
What can I put here?
Hi all Could you please help me with this empty wall? Thank...
alaahq