What color should I paint/stain my deck?
Marcia
I have a gray house (plan on replacing the white shutters with black louver) and a 12 x 8 foot deck in back. It's just 2 years old but already looking like it needs updating even though it was built with treated lumber. Any suggestions on what color to paint or stain my deck would be greatly appreciated as I am a first time home owner. Oh, and the picture of the house was taken right after I purchased it, I have done some landscaping since...just haven't taken any new pictures! Also, hate the white skirting that makes it look like a double wide trailer, anyone know any brick-looking replacement ideas in SE Minnesota?
Interiors International, Inc.
I am from MN. and still have a home and office there. Your best friend is the contractors building dept at Menards. They can help you with all your questions and problems.
January 3, 2013 at 2:59pm   
Marcia
Thanks! I am definitely a regular Menards costumer having just retiled my fireplace surround and hearth, tiled a kitchen backsplash, and am in the process of painting my interior (just there last weekend for the 20% off sale buying bedroom paint!). I was just hoping for some color suggestions before going in to purchase the stain.
January 3, 2013 at 3:06pm   
getgrowing
I would go tone on tone to the siding on the floor of the deck, then introduce a fun colour with the cushions and extras that can be easily changed!
January 3, 2013 at 3:11pm     
Jayme H.
I live on Mn/ND border and used to buy and sell mobile homes. You are correct, it looks like a double wide. I would get rid of that skirting...what is under it? Do u have a block basement? Wood? If it's concrete, it can be painted, which is cheap to do..I would paint it darker than the siding. You could put brick or stone veneer. There is a bit of a job to it from what I have seen. Either way, once u change it u can landscape to draw less attention to it, unless u want to if it's a nice stone or something. For decking...correct, lumbar yards..but please bring home samples.. Never seems to work out well when I don't- I would also want the stain to coordinate/compliment nicely with whatever u put on the foundation...compare colors to your siding and in the daylight to see how it looks together.. If your windows had wider trim it would look less trailer-like...
January 3, 2013 at 3:11pm   
Marcia
My house is set on a cement slab. Our town was ravaged by flood in 2007 so there are a lot of manufactured homes in the area (I purchased the lot 2 years ago and put the house on it). The guy across the street has skirting that looks like a basement, that's what I'd like to have...but he bought it from a local dealer and it was quite expensive so I was hoping for something similar that I could hire a contractor to do for less. I have planted some shrubs in front but they're still small. Not big enough to hide that awful skirting!
January 3, 2013 at 3:34pm   
Jayme H.
The frame underneath the skirting is a consideration. Depending on what u choose to put on, it may need revising. If you could attach new material to what base is already there, it should be cheaper. Ie: some kind of siding in sheets or other material. Using a 4x8 siding of some type/staining that to match your deck could work. Try to plan it to cut it in half vertically so u get two pieces out of the sheet. You could then back fill against it, sloping away from house and/or add in landscaping, maybe a couple rows of landscape block/bricks, etc. Just a suggestion...I would try to reduce the visibillity of the white skirted area as that is of such a height as to make the home look trailer-like.
January 3, 2013 at 5:41pm   
Mantel help
My ceiling is 10ft high how high should I place a mantel?...
Need help with under cabinet LED lighting
I'm having MAJOR stress figuring out what to use for...
What decorative items do you hate the most?
It does not have to be overused or trend that should...
One piece toilet?
Our master bathroom is TINY, more so than even the...
Redo Family Room
Need help with paint colors, accent colors and arrangement!...