Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_dyer

Guest bedroom - curtain color?

Jlodyer
9 years ago

Ok, so while I'm waiting to move along with our master bedroom. I'm going to start doing our guest room. I just ordered a new bed from pottery barn and plan on using a duvet cover I have had from pottery barn for the colors. I am afraid of color and always go to the safe neutrals but thought I would ask.

The room is painted in SW Silverpoint with an accent wall in earl gray and white trim. I was just thinking of ordering basic white cotton curtains but maybe there are better ideas?

Showing the bed I ordered and the duvet. Thank you for any suggestions to move forward in curtains, decorative pillows and/or rug. Room does have carpet the color that is pictured next to the duvet, laying on floor. I also ordered a white quilt just in case I chicken out from using color !!

Comments (38)

• User
    9 years ago

That duvet is GORGEOUS! Just toss a few pillows in aqua, white and gray on it to tie the duvet to the walls. For a guest room, you might get away with the white rug and drapes.

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you sooz001, I feel better about using it if people like the colors. I know I can be a bit bland so was afraid I was being too boring using white curtains! The pillows said like great colors, just wasn't sure how to balance them out, 3 of 1 color and 2 of another, or 1 of each color? I struggle with something so silly but will take me hours of looking and still afraid to push the purchase button afraid of making a mistake.

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, should the rug have a pattern or just a solid color since there is so much going on in the duvet cover?

• anne dee
    9 years ago

For contrast I would add taupe accents as seen in the ref pic

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very pretty anne dee, I would have never thought of taupe. I always thought of taupe as having a purple tint, but there it looks good with the blue.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Really nice duvet, & I love the bed. What size bed what size room.

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you sandraclark! Bed is queen, the room is a 12 x 12 w 3 windows

• anne dee
    9 years ago

taupe is actually brown/grey
    You might consider a striped rug that coordinates with the blue colour in yr duvet

check this site to see if anything appeals to you

http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/blue-and-white-striped-rug

• Janice Robinson
    9 years ago
    Add some ribbon trim to plain white curtains...pull the ribbon colors from the duvet.
  • Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

Love the taupe idea - consider an open weave linen look. I'd add a solid taupe cozy rug. If you have carpeting, you may not need a rug at all. Unless you're going for cozy cottage look, which you easily can do.

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the idea with the taupes/linens, it's like being able to stick with some neutrals, which I love! Thank you all, helping me see it in a different direction. Great idea Janice, then I could change accordingly .. I like to change my rooms from spring/summer to fall/winter.!

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I've decided that I would like to see country French eclectic in my guest room with the duvet pictured and the bed is on it's way, so excited to get it!

If I add some off-whites, I'm still ok to add whites correct? Also, found these curtains with a bit of pattern and this rug, am I heading in the right direction? I want to use these ticking stripe pillow shams w the duvet and white layered bedding, sheets and quilt with the duvet folded back... am I on the right track?

These curtains in spa blue same as shams?

Braided Country Oval Rug (8 ft. x 5 ft.) · More Info

Something like this rug above or this rug ?

Ivan Hand Tufted Rug, Silver / Ivory 8'x10' · More Info

Going to use one wooden tone nightstand that matches the bed and paint another in either Annie Sloan duck blue, or French linen, or could go white?

I have mercury glass lamps to use w/ linen shades, will need to get wall décor but just want to know what everyone thinks of the items here if I should go forward?

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the duvet, it's so far above:

• wickedwhite
    9 years ago
    I think you should be careful mixing patterns. The patterns in the rug and curtains are too similar in scale and motif to the duvet. You would be better off with stripes or a geometric. Can we see a picture of the room? I'm not sure you need a rug at all. And I think you would be happier with a solid drape.. Maybe a natural linen.. Wood blinds might work as well.
  • Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I was really trying to get eclectic by mixing the patterns. I did see some stripe rugs I liked as well. I started out thinking plain white curtains but then I saw those and thought it would be more eclectic! I'm not very good at mixing and always seem to decorate plain jane. Natural linen, you mean in flax or white?

I will get a picture of the room this weekend. Daughter is moving out and needless to say she has a disaster, not good for picture taking! Once it's empty I can put it on here as well.

The room does have the carpet, I just thought maybe a rug would give a more layered look so it's not so dull.

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, that headboard looks just like it. I've been looking through photos and didn't se that one at all! Thank you....... I do agree about the textures. I get side tracked easily, was really trying to be eclectic. I see rooms and they look so good with all the patterns, you're right it's very tricky!

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, found a couple different choices, drapes either white linen or lattice voile, I love both so not sure which would be a better? I still love the ticking striped pillow shams in spa blue. A couple toss pillows in velvet and silk for texture in grey to pull in grey from SW silverpointe wall color

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hit enter to fast, if I use grey, white and spa blue for the 3 colors and add the texture, will this work?

I don't know if I need the rug yet will wait and see once I get everything else put together but I do have a chunky jute rug I could use that would be more texture. Do I need another color in the pillows?

• Geneviève
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Take a sham to the paint store with you and have them match the blue or green of the print .

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The SW Silverpointe doesn't go well enough?

I really hadn't thought about painting the SW Silverpointe has a tint of blue when reflected on the wall and the room is bright with 3 windows.

• Geneviève
    9 years ago

A little more blue into it perhaps :) Like this !

[

Emerald Hills addition/ remodel · More Info
    Benjamin Moore Wales Gray 1585 · More Info

Jlodyer thanked Geneviève
  • Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    wall color now with ascent wall earl grey, have this quilt but also ordered one in white.....if I use blue quilt would it be to much blue on walls too?
  • Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BM Wales Gray is a beautiful color!

• Geneviève
    9 years ago

And so is your choice in bedding ,I love it. The blue blanket can be a the end of the bed fold ed add white pillows if you like .

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Genevieve! I just always have trouble putting all the small details together to tie it all in.

• Geneviève
    9 years ago

Take a look at these colours together

Cup of Forget Me Not Print on Canvas by Photos.com by Getty Images · More Info

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I LOVE that! colors are gorgeous!

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks more of a putty color than white? Should I stay away from using white?

• Geneviève
    9 years ago

Is the back ground of the fabric white or ivory? the Forget me not have white in them ,then you have the blue ,the ivory,and the grey ,they all work well .

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here it is against a white mirror, I really think it can go either way?
  • Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great, I love it. I wasn't sure if I mixed white and off white if it would make the off white just look dingy so that really helps!

• Geneviève
    9 years ago

Looking good from here ,enjoy your beautiful bedding :)

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your help Genevieve, will post pics when I get it all together!

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Curtains are up, bed being delivered Friday. Should I paint the table since the nightstand and bed are wood tone? Not use sofa table at all?

Also, I have set of quilted white sham shown, also pom pom euro with spa blue pom poms (hard to see), should I add more blue in pillows or go with some gray velvet? Also will have white linen pillows as well.
  • Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Like this in spa blue or gray?

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not using the blue quilt laying on bed now, waiting on the white one that matches the pillow shams and white linen sheets.

• Jlodyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    UPDATE: Got the bed set up and room starting to come together. Waiting on white quilt I ordered to use instead of blue and needs some final touches, any comments or suggestions on what else I can do to pull room together for a finished look? Add or delete?