Who chooses floor plans and approximate layouts?
Ilija Pavlic
January 4, 2013 in Other
As is often the case, seems to be overlaps between the roles of architects, construction workers, interior decorators and designers.

In some older building in my period, I'm noticing that the floor plans are well thought-out (according to the living standards of that period). If there are adjoined flats, the noisy living spaces are adjacent to each other or the hallways (living rooms, kitchens), and the quiet rooms are adjacent to other quiet rooms.

It goes further than that. The living room usually has the floor plan to accommodate the usual functions (entertaining, listening to radio or watching TV, balcony doors), and all the piping is in logical places for the kitchen and the bathrooms and toilets, making it easier for contractors to work.

(In some newer constructions, profit sometimes goes first and the floor plans are much worse to squeeze an extra flat to the building floor.)

It seems like the floor plans are made with furniture in mind, and the furniture is chosen with floor plans in mind.

Are architects supposed to do that? Do interior designers work within the small space of liberty provided by the floor plans?

Thank you!
There are basically 2 parts to this question depending on the type of residential housing you are dealing with.

1. Developers usually have in house designers or architects who draw up numerous sets of standard floor plans. But the creativity is limited to the cost per square feet and what plans are popular, not necessary have the best furniture layout in mind.

2. Custom homes designed by architects will have more freedom and well tailored to the home owner's needs.
January 4, 2013 at 7:58am   
choosing ceiling color for an floor plan layout
I'm not sure which colours I would like on my wall....
Need Help for floor plan layout for a 100sq meter lot
Hi guys. Is it possible for me to ask for some sugestions...
Floor plan/ layout
My husband and I are about to build a home in Charleston/...
Need ideas for exterior update
Ok- here is the front of our house- blech! The yellowish...
Kitchen chairs - what color?
We remodeled our kitchen and are building a maple farm...
Front door
We live close to a road and the front door was never...
Need help with kitchen floorplan
We get the keys to our first place July 31 and are...
VOTE: What color Fireplace?
Room will be cleared out and painted SW Meiga Greige....