Need help giving this Beach Cottage curb appeal Any ideas??
joybushwell
This a newly purchased Beach house 3 houses from the Ocean I need ideas that would help give it some curb appeal
creeser
Are you in an area that palm trees thrive? Is so, one to the left of the sidewalk by the steps would be nice. If palms aren't for your area, maybe a small flowering tree to give it color.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 6:32AM
Terri Williams
Hi Joybushwell, I would remove the upright evergreen and whatever you have in front of it. Look for something with a little more height, a climbing rose or clematis. Front that with perennial geraniums (not the annual geraniums-really pelargoniums) intersperse with medium high grasses like a liriodendron or a fescue. Consider changing the color schemes on the house. A cooler blue gray with the white trim would be nice. And don't forget the stairs. Are they concrete? Stain them with concrete color. Whimsy is great in a cottage look, consider a rose or lilaq.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 6:37AM
Terri Williams
I wasn't sure if the area to the left of the porch was yours. If so, replace the pavers with local flagstone and put in some of the plants from the front to tie them together.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 6:39AM
Dar Eckert
One long window box along the front overflowing with bright flowers. Find a new spot for the garbage cans.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 6:49AM
Platinum Site Development
Stick with the beach community look, remove the current landscape and replace with ornamental grasses and native low lying planting. Beach houses are typically kept low maintenance.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 6:54AM
joybushwell
thank you for the suggestions ....I am not in a palm tree area house is in South Jersey.. the stairs are all wood. there are zoo many colors out there do you have a cool blue gray in mind. I was also considering getting rid of the garage door as I am going to finish the basement/garage would you leave it or out another window in?
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 7:43AM
Terri Williams
I don't have a particular brand/color in mind. I think if you went with a gray with just a touch of blue, like it was wind worn, and picked your favorite it would be great. If you want your house to pop out of the landscape go with a deeper shade, if you want the house to blend in more a lighter shade. Wooden stairs in a similar color, but a little brighter would be terrific. I agree with Platinum Site that a beach house should be low maintenance. But that plants I suggested have a lot of native varieties and perennials add charm and need very little attention. I can't imagine a "cottage" feel with some blooming color.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 7:52AM
Huy Ho
I would say change the white to something more lively and vibrant but use a contrast color for trim and openings. The stone can always be stuccoed over to fit whatever color you decide to paint
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 2:41PM
Kim D
Beach house, three houses from the ocean deserves a prettier front door. I think its the law or something....
    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 5:20AM
Kevin Strader
Planter boxes, either lighter than the siding or the color of the steps. Paint the columns and the area around the barrage door the color of the steps to focus the eye more on the upper area of the structure. A bright color on the door. Just some ideas.
    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 6:27AM
mefor
Have some fun and go completely beach cottage colors. All of these are great shore looks. :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 6:41AM
Dar Eckert
Love those pale blue colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 8:11AM
mefor
Lots of white, pink/coral flowers. Maybe a hydrangea, Shasta daisies, Mini fountain grass, hibiscus in a pot, loads of cascading flowers in flower box across the whole frontage under windows. I'd also put narrow flower boxes all along the cinderblock wall between driveways.
    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 8:21AM
mefor
I'd also suggest a coral/pink crape myrtle, but not sure if you have enough room in the front? Maybe in the back garden?
    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 8:39AM
Craig CraigMDesigns
Have some fun with the color like mforr said! Even a deep coral or yellow door with the sea foams/blues/turquoise . Maybe gradation of color as it goes up the stairs.
    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:02AM
deasy2323
Kaya2nya bsk malem ada yg di potong burungnya sama istrinya
    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:10AM
Cottage needs curb appeal
House in village near Lake Mi. Needs curb appeal....
aklooster
Need Help with Curb Appeal / Freshen Up Old House
Need help picking paint colors, Adding curb appeal,...
tdavis73
Need ideas for curb appeal
We would greatly appreciate suggestions/ideas to improve...
nidiambge
need a few curb appeal ideas
My girlfriend and I just bought our first rental house....
theonlyjon
Ugly lake cottage needs curb appeal
This modular house was put on the lot backwards! The...
snowbird45
does anyone think this backsplash will work?
thinking of installing Avenue Mosaic Weave Jacquard...
kathleen
wicht is more stylysh a doubble front door or a singel?
we are in difficulty to come to the best conclusion...
gduso
Help for Dorm Room
This is a new post related to my dorm room. I have...
wthrwthr
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
Jenna Carr
Basement Design/Layout help!?!?
So this summer I had some funds to finally add an egress...
jessb_55