Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lifeontherivah

You won't hurt my feelings....

Maribeth
9 years ago
Struggling w bedding to "go with" my rug of many years. Picked out Pottery Barn's koi, but store didn't have it and I saw this and thought it might work w bed and Stonington gray walls and rug. Horrible pics as we just moved; no art, pillows, etc. I can easily exchange for something else. Thoughts? Reactions? Thx!

Comments (35)

• Emily Vallevand
    9 years ago

I think you are trying to hard to find a pattern that matches your area rug. By adding pattern to pattern your eye doesn't know where to focus and therefore it will continue to wander and not be able to focus on anything. I suggest using the colours from the rug, but using solid colours. I would use a combination of the blood orange, navy and white. You can find pillows with these colours in patterns so it doesn't seem to plain, but won't clash with the carpet.

Maribeth thanked Emily Vallevand
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago

Plain colour only

Lanna Duvet Cover, Turquoise · More Info

• PRO
    DeCocco Drapes
    9 years ago

I agree with Emily Vallevand, no pattern on for the comforter and pull colors from the rug to work with. Pillows are always a great way to pull other colors in. You could use piping or trim in a contrast color to the pillow fabric to add some interest.

Maribeth thanked DeCocco Drapes
  • Arizona Snoopy
    9 years ago
    I'd go with a burnt orange and dark apricot walls, colors to compliment and pull out the orange in the rug. No pattern on the bed, you've got more than enough on the floor.
  • Arizona Snoopy
    9 years ago
    ps I love the rug...I'd probably find a place where you can see more of it.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    It could work. Hard to see rug. But looks like same shades of color. And that's what you want. I would fold back 1/3 add white pillow shams. Then toss pillows in color from rug. Big art over bed using colors from rug. Lamps base color of blue and white shades. At foot of bed add a solid filled comforter, blue may work. Fold so it goes 1/3 up. Layering your bedding makes it so much more interesting.
    Maribeth thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Just saw your lamp they're good. Rug is very nice.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I love Shannon's idea of rust walls and pale peach on others. Do the rust behind bed wall. On windows a burnt orange satin. Very full.
  • aandrews361
    9 years ago
    Solid blue comforter with multi colored and soild toss pillows with a blanket folded at the end of the bed
  • OldGrayMare
    9 years ago
    Hi dnamamma.....are you sure we're not twins?? Are you an oriental rug lover? I had the very same dilemma. The best thing to do is to pick either the secondary or tertiary color in the rug for the bedspread/comforter/duvet + a set of shams. Then another of those two for a throw at the end of the bed and one set of shams. Finally, then you can fun with some,patterned accent pillows. I'm enclosing what I did in same situation with our guest room. I have some Kilim pillows on order to replace the accent pillows I have now. With those, I'm just going to go wild and bump pattern against pattern against pattern....keeping the base color(s) of gray, gold/tan & rust...with a few other colors tossed into the mix in tiny amounts.
    Maribeth thanked OldGrayMare
  • Maribeth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all! I bought a beautiful blue coverlet and shams from Company Store and when they came yesterday my husband and I were so bored with it, I went on the hunt for the koi pattern (mostly white with orange and gray) Pottery Barn design. I bought this instead because it called my name. I do love it, so may consider subbing a wool faux sisal look here and taking this rug elsewhere in the house. I have found a magnificent spa rug that looks sisal-isn and natural, but is soft wool underfoot. I think it would look fantastic with this bedding. There are other places I can use the rug in the picture. I REALLY appreciate your candor and assistance and OldGrayMare I think we WERE separated at birth!

• OldGrayMare
    9 years ago
    Whatever makes YOU and the hubby happy! Take good care of that gorgeous rug...maybe another place would be better...where it's not hidden under the bed. :-)
    Maribeth thanked OldGrayMare
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    The problem is not having A pattern, it's THE pattern. That one doesn't work. It is too big. You can absolutely have patterns w oriental carpets, otherwise every living room with one would have monochrome drapes and upholstery. Ick. I'm not a huge fan of solid comforters either (except for crisp white!). I am a huge fan of orientals. A smaller pattern would be great, bringing in way more carpet color and less background color. Or, go solid w comforter but lots of pattern/texture w pillows.
    Maribeth thanked greenfish1234
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    See?? Patterns good!! http://houzz.com/photos/55795
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Low-key pattern w pillows bringing the punch: http://houzz.com/photos/9580798
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Here it is the opposite: small pattern rug, big pattern accents. http://houzz.com/photos/1501060
  • Maribeth thanked greenfish1234
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Bear with me. I know this isn't a bedroom, but see how the small prints mix and match so beautifully with the carpet? A white or cream cover with lots of patterned pillows and throw would be gorgeous.
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Meant to paste this w last comment: http://houzz.com/photos/11216258
  • Maribeth thanked greenfish1234
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Wow. This one really shows how different sized patterns (rug small; chairs smaller; pillows big) can be mixed harmoniously to huge effect: http://houzz.com/photos/2183791
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    There is too much red in your carpet for this, but you could so do this in blue or teal. http://houzz.com/photos/3385050
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Maybe? You might need an even smaller pattern: http://houzz.com/photos/11179767
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Whatever you do, keep us informed, because now I'm vested!!
  • Maribeth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are so funny. I think a smaller pattern could work. I love, love, love my rugs, but am feeling like I want a lighter look in my bedroom and one that is not so limiting. Once I break it to my husband that I want to somehow get the rug out from under the heavy king size bed (and replace it), the sky will be the limit with bedding choices and that's smarter. I feel like I am trying to make something work that just isn't ....and I have other places for the rug. And if anyone needs a rec for a rug that I think I am going to put all over my house, since I've bought one and we love it so much.......here is my tip for the day (and I am not related to nor involved in this business): http://charlotteandivy.com/rugs/spa-rug-soft-wool-sisal-like-rug-wheat

• sheilaintx
    9 years ago

FWIW I think you're right swapping the rugs if you want to keep the bedding. It sounds like the sisal look one would be a much more successful & restful combo. Sorry hubby! (Popping a set of plastic sliders under heavy furniture feet make it a LOT easier to shift around the room.) :)

• Maribeth
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

greenfish1234, I just saw all of the great pics you sent. Thank you! I only saw your last one before replying, above. Very generous. I mix a lot of patterns (here's the very early, first stage of my great room (again, still unpacking). My favorite look in a bedroom is crisp white bedding with a persian rug and tons of great pillows and piping. HOWEVER, note my girl Gracie, who was stone cold busted yesterday on the couch upstairs and finds her way on to our bed. White Won't Work in our bedroom. I have already lost my mind putting white slipcovers in the pic I posted. Thanks for the help, all, and I will post pics once I bribe my husband to move ANOTHER rug with me prior to both of us needing disc surgery ;-).

• greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Aww what a cutie, and what a beautiful home!! Yup-no white duvet for you!! I DO love that rug. Good luck moving it!!
  • soniayoung
    9 years ago
    Think about what style you like. Are you looking for Country, Bohemia, Traditional, etc. If you're not sure look in your closet. Often what we wear reflects our style. By adding a softer solid neutral comforter like white or cream will accent the headboard w/o fighting with your rug. Going with patterned accent pillows will add the punch of color. Include the colors from your headboard. Go for high quality on your bedding. Often people spend more on an outfit worn once than bedding they sleep under every night. You need more pillows for height so invest in the shams and extra bed pillows as well. Look for artwork you love...maybe from your own pics.
  • Betsy Hartman
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful rug. It should be the focal point of the room. The patterned bedding is competing with it. I would choose 2 solid colors (probably less prominent colors pulled from the rug - meaning not red) and create the bed from there. A patterned or textured accent pillow would work to complete your look.

• Kendrah
    9 years ago

The rug is stunning and it sounds like you have another space for it in your home and a good solution for working with this new set of sheets. However, if you decide to keep your current rug in the bedroom, here are my thoughts:

Solid colors may look too plain and boring in contrast to the complex rug. Patterned bedding will look great with this rug, you just picked a pattern that is really light color and intricate and I think you need a bolder pattern duvet to go with this bolder rug. There is a masculine feel to the rug and I think that same masculine vibe needs to be included somehow in the bedding. Here are some examples:

Hand Stitched Star - West Elm - Love the handmade textured feel to this - keeps in line with the tribal like effect of the rug

http://www.westelm.com/products/wrh-star-geo-duvet-cover-shams-slate-b1406/?pkey=cbedding-sets|bedding-duvet-covers|&cm_src=bedding-sets||NoFacet--NoFacet---_-

Graphite Ticking - Layer with some different dark patterned pillow cases

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2250027&categoryId=cat1990164

Nora Medallion

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/nora-medallion-organic-duvet-sham-ebony/?pkey=cduvet-covers-shams|patterned-duvet-covers-shams|&;

Kendra Trellis - Midnight Color

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/kendra-trellis-duvet-cover-sham-midnight/?pkey=cduvet-covers-shams|patterned-duvet-covers-shams|&;

Maribeth thanked Kendrah
  • Ann
    9 years ago

The bedding is pretty with the headboard and will look great with a neutral rug. I love the rug too and it will look great in a neutral room.

Maribeth thanked Ann
  • Maribeth
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK. After all of the generous input, I have a funny (somewhat) story. Our mattress started dipping in the middle. Severely. King size mattress. Called retailer. They sent rep out. It's 3 years old. They said they would replace it at no cost, as it must be defective. While they had it out of the bed, I meant to tip them to help with moving rug out from under the heavy bed. I forgot. They put the bed totally back together and left. Then my husband hurt his back continuing to move things from our attic at our other home to this new home. Alas, I am keeping the rug and changing the bedding! Of all of the looks, I like this the best. In fact, I love it. The bed is (almost) exactly our bed and color. The rug is similar. And that calming effect is what I am going for. I will use the King bedding upstairs on a queen bed in my son's room! Will post pics when it is (eventually) done. Thanks to all and especially to greenfish1234 for finding this picture!

My Houzz: Richard and Maxime: Montreal · More Info