Would love suggestions for kitchen wall color.
marg724
My kitchen is traditional - white cabinets and an older "tarragon" corian countertop. Dark wood floors. The Tarragon is a cool green/blue w/ tiny black and white specks. Any suggestions for a wall color for this combo?
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I looked up your countertop and have attached some images below. I think that Benjamin Moore HORIZON OC-53 would be a lovely tone to complement your counters. If you need something slightly darker with your cabinets, then perhaps GRAY OWL OC-52 would be better. Get the chips from the paint store and see what you think! I've pictured HORIZON below...
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 2:29PM
marg724
Yes, that would be a pretty good match. but would the look be too monochromatic? Should I have another - accent color? Thank you so much!!!
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 3:09PM
Stefanie Zanow- Kitchens Plus
I would suggest doing a light grey on the walls. It's an updated color for a room and the sage green color of the counter tops accents the grey color well.
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 3:11PM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I think because your counter colour is a little bit dated, you should not try to put it with the newest trendiest colour out there now (grey). I think grey would just kill it anyway, personally. I'd rather see you use the HORIZON, which will look like a deliberate choice to embrace the countertop colour. If you don't want it so matchy-matchy, then cut it 50/50 so it's half the strength of colour. It will look like the perfect "white", and be a shadowy-looking version of the white on your cupboards.

I should point out that I'm suggesting a colour without knowing what the floor is in the kitchen, what the seating is in the kitchen, and the colour of adjacent rooms. All these factors can and should be taken into account when choosing a colour.

I do note that there are some brownish dots in the corian, and depending on your floor colour etc. you might consider a paint in that family, but I hesitate to pick one since I'm not there in the room to see the lighting and the other elements I mentioned, and a strong brown would be disastrous in my opinion.

With the limited information I have, i.e. the countertop and white cabinets, I've done my best. And I do like to see a monochromatic scheme in a kitchen anyway. Your emphasis should be on your countertop and beautiful appliances and sometimes the backsplash, and not on the wall paint. For that reason I have suggested a subtle colour that will create a light and airy atmosphere and not jump out at you in a bold way.

Hope this helps :)
    Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 8:35PM
marg724
You're right, so difficult w/o a photo. I have just attached 2 for you to see better (one has the "tarragon" corian). Actually, I am really liking the idea of gray.
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 8:18AM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Marg, your pictures help a lot! Ok here goes. If you tone the counter colour down and darken it you come out with a colour called Benjamin Moore COVENTRY GRAY HC-169. It will give you a good contrast with your white and will definitely complement your countertops.

When you're looking for a gray, unless it's just composed of black and white mixed together, you need to go in a colour direction because of the different pigments you're adding. In other words, your gray can be blue-gray, or brown/taupe-gray, or pink-gray, or green-gray... You see? In this case, when I specified COVENTRY GRAY, I'm giving you the right gray to tone with your counter because it's based on the counter colour!

Is this more what you were hoping for? I've also attached a photo of a room painted in this colour so you can see how nice it looks against white.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 8:51AM
marg724
You are fab! Will go out and get some paint to try on today. What trim would you suggest? The guys at my paint store shy away from decorator white and like simply white for a cleaner contrast.
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 9:16AM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Marg! I'm so happy that you like this! I think it's going to be gorgeous! As for the white, I'd try to match the cabinetry colour as close as possible. Ask to borrow a complete fan deck so you can bring it home and pinpoint the white that's best for you. I would do it for you, but I don't know where to find you! :(

I never use just 'white'--I always want to see it tweaked just a little bit one way or another. But really in your case it's a matter of continuing with the white that's already in the room.

Good luck my dear! I'm so glad you seem you're on fire to get this done! LOL
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 9:21AM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
And, Marg, would you be so kind as to take some 'after' pictures and post them in this discussion? Then I'll be sure to see them. If you have any other questions, you can reach me in future directly at ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca and I'd be pleased to help out. I have been in the houzz discussions a fair amount over the holidays but won't likely have as much time once I start back to work in earnest next week.
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 9:23AM
Heather Stevens
Martha stewart's Sharky Gray is also a nice color, will compliment the counter and cabinets, its alittle warmer grey color. But def nix the wall paper ;)
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 9:27AM
marg724
Still playing around with different grays. Like Coventry but afraid it may be a bit too dark. Sharkey Gray i think may be too brown.
    Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 8:27AM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Take a deep breath and have faith, and go for the Coventry, marg! It's a beautiful colour and you have so much white in your cabinetry and trim that will set it off. Everything will look beautiful against it.

But if you can't bear to dive in with Coventry, then have it mixed at 75% strength (a sample pot) and see whether that gives you a colour depth that you can live with.

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Cynthia
    Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 8:11PM
karen paul interiors
marg, agree with Cynthia. Get a little pot of the full strength Coventry. You will need the contrast. If you cut back on your Coventry you will be coming too close to the value of your countertops. It's only paint!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:44AM
bdennison
I think Cynthia (and KIaren) are right on the mark on this one. Go for the Coventry. The contrast with the white is perfect. Very nice kitchen BTW :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:00AM
marg724
Going with Coventry and dove white for trim to match existing cabinets. What color ceiling do you recommend? For example, Will decorator white (ceiling) go with the dove white trim?
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 7:52AM
bdennison
I like white ceilings in a kitchen myself.Please post a pic when it's done.
    Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 8:31AM
Need wall color suggestions for remodeled kitchen
Hello helpful houzzers: We're moving into a house...
Tai Moses
Kitchen remodel. Any suggestions for nice backsplash and wall color to
Have colonial cram granite and hickory cabinets .....
jpetoniak
What wall color would you suggest for en suite master bath?
Our master bedroom is exactly the same dimension as...
hemabankad
U shaped kitchen and would love to use 2 cabinet colors
Looking to refinish builder's grade cabinets. My kitchen...
Angela Henderson
Would love some wall color suggestions!
Hello. We bought an old 1969 fixer a year ago. I have...
Deanna Hart
Cellular shades
My wife and I are thinking about doing cellular shades...
bandit5001
Updating master bath - paint cabinets or not?
I want to update my master bath without removing anything...
jaw924
Window treatment suggestions?
Hi Houzzers, should mention the eating area will be...
Melissa Felber
Want to update my never been finished living /dining room.
Need to work with the sofa and striped chair and...
Anne Berry
Need help with window treatments
I have a family room that has tall and beautiful plantation...
rookiedee