Landscape ideas?
mousemaker
We are thinking of ripping out an old hedge and some bushes, part of which marks the property boundary between us and a rental next door. Our house is very old and the rental was built quite close to the property line. Previous owners of our house planted a fir tree that is now huge and the branches grew over the rental's eaves so there was a big production cutting some of the branches off. The hedge grows along the sidewalk and the bushes grow along the what becomes the water drip line of the rental house. It hasn't kept people from crossing into our yard and doing damage, so i'm not sure what the point is of keeping it. It doesn't look balanced and now i have planted a lot of new things in the front yard where grass has been hard to grow and it looks a lot better.
i know all this sounds lovely compared to the wonderful landscapes here on Houzz, but we all have our own yards to care for and this is what i need to know. If i rip out the hedge and perhaps the bushes, what should i replace them with? the area is very much "under the fir" so the soil is full of pine needles. I do have bluebells growing quite well however, so they will spread.
angryredhead
Have you considered holly bushes or anything with thorns and/or dangerous leaves? There are a few varieties that should fit the bill and heavily discourage trespassers. You should also call your local agricultural extension office for plant recommendations that will suit your needs and climate.
January 6, 2013 at 8:24am   
mousemaker
Fun as that would be :) the idea is to get rid of the bushes which make the front of our house look unbalanced because they are on one side in front of the tree--just a corner section...if they had planted the whole front of the yard by the sidewalk perhaps i would keep it. I do have a problem with several trees in the backyard that are not on our property and i am trying to get rid of them :) They are buckthorns and they spread everywhere. The thorns are long and dangerous.
I went to the library yesterday and got another pile of gardening books. One of them is a border ideas book and i might use some of the suggestions. If people are willing to go further in past the hedge anyway and over the fence, then i don't think any plant by the sidewalk will keep them out. It's not frequent, but it does bother me. It might be someone looking for a shortcut. I have a Harry Lauder tree that lost several branches recently because someone was not expecting to find it in the dark after they scaled my fence. i am still really upset, but i put the branches in water with Quik start and hopefully they will sprout.
What do you think about a grouping of plants that define the corner of our property? perhaps some kind of brick or property marker that would also function as a retaining wall of sorts? we do have some soil erosion..
January 6, 2013 at 9:26am   
angryredhead
A picture would greatly help. :)
January 6, 2013 at 9:45am     
mousemaker
oh no. i attached images and now they're not here!!! im totally confused because i saw them!!! grrrrrrr
January 8, 2013 at 2:30pm   
Need Landscape Ideas to Divide Landscape with Neighbor
We just moved into this house and have a neighbor that...
Help! I would appreciate ideas on front door color and landscape ideas
This was taken a few weeks ago before tree leaves came...
Need Privacy ideas and Landscape ideas
I just recently laid new sod in my backyard and am...
What should I do with this room?
Help!!! What should I do with this room??
Help us decide please!
We are trying to pick a tile for our mud room. The...
I need help finding where to purchase a chair
I can't find the vendor for this chair that is on your...
Material for outside deck
Is the man made synthetic material the best for an...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...