Bathroom fan that you love?
jenikim23
Has anyone found a bathroom fan that they loved and would recommend? I have found most models to be loud and generally ineffective at reducing moisture properly. Any and all suggestions appreciated!
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Several available. Some of them would not be an option for you unless you are opening up ceilings in a remodel.

Look at the Panasonic whisper line of fans. They have everything from the recessed fan/light that looks like just a plain recessed light to larger models.

Broan/Nutone also makes the recessed fan/lights and some other very quiet fans.

Look for 1.5 sones or less. Some of the models have humidity sensors built in so they turn on/off automatically. You can also override the sensors.

The quietest and most effective fans are the inline fans that are mounted up in the attic to the rafters so you hear no noise at all. They also can be hooked to a humidity sensor.

The really important thing is to make sure you get a unit sized properly to the room - as measured in cfm. Our target is to change out the air in the room 8 times per hour. So if you had a 100 SF bathroom with 8' ceilings, you would be looking for a fan with approx. 100 cfm in order to achieve that.
January 4, 2013 at 9:17pm     
mjlamb
I agree with Deborah. we recently replaced ours with a Panasonic light/fan/heater. VERY quiet. A little more expensive but definitely worth it.
January 5, 2013 at 6:51am     
John Whipple - By Any Design ltd.
We installed a Panasonic Whisper Quiet in our home 12 years ago and fell in love with it. We only install Panasonic Fans on our projects and my clients love them. I have had two complaints in the past 12 years that the new Panasonic Fans where not working.

In both occasions I went down and held a sheet of toilet paper in my hands. When the "Working" fan such it to the fans grills both clients said sorry! LOL They are that good.

We just installed a ventilation fan out in UBC and this is a great idea for those musty closets. If your doing an extensive renovation you might consider this.

JW
January 5, 2013 at 7:34am   
Signature Designs Kitchen & Bath
Panasonic Whisper Quiet has been a reliable product that I have used for years but there is a new one on the market that detects moisture in the room.

Nutone offers a 110CFM Humidity Sensor Fan. See Link Below.
http://www.nutone.com/products/product/qtxen110sqt-series-110-cfm-humidity-sensing-fan-with-white-grille-energy-star-qualified-0519562a-7802-428e-8564-48ad30e869b9/tab/overview

I have not used this one but you should check it out.

Best of Luck!!

Bonnie Bagley Catlin, CID
Member ASID, Member NKBA
619-733-6540
Be Sure to Like Us On Facebook!! www.bonniebagley.com
January 5, 2013 at 7:43am   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Deborah has made two good product recommendations. We have installed many Panasonic and Broan fan light combos. In addition I highly recommend Fan Tech, especially for bathrooms with 100 sq. ft or more because you can have two ceiling grills with just one motor (and only one penetration to the building envelope). One thing that consumers often do not understand is for a fan to be effective, you must turn it on several minutes before it is "needed" and allow it to run for at least 10 minutes after you think it is needed. This applies to both bathrooms and kitchens.
January 5, 2013 at 7:50am   
John Whipple - By Any Design ltd.
BC HYdro here in British Columbia recommends a bathroom fan run for one hour for each shower. Our local Canadian code requires one fan in a new home to be hooked up to a timer. The busiest bathroom is a great fan to choose and having it cycle on overnight is a great way of logging these needed minutes.

JW
January 5, 2013 at 8:12am   
Chroma Design
I am extremely partial to Fantech! Small, discreet vent covers. Motor is mounted far away from vent openning and flex lines absorb sound.
Other than that. I agree that Panasonic is the best for all in one units.
January 5, 2013 at 8:34am   
Interiors International, Inc.
Chroma, has it right. I did a vent fan that is in my attic. it then has vent openings in all my baths. It is soundless in the baths themselves.
January 5, 2013 at 8:37am     
Lighting advice
Hi!! I just bought a small apartment with living and...
Are you a big fan of glamping or camping?
I'm not a camping fan at all. I can't stand not knowing...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
need nightables
I don't know what to use for night tables that would...
Tractenberg & Co Public Relation
Tractenberg & Co Public Relation President Jacquie...