Long narrow FR needs balance
smgeiger
we just moved to a new house, updated the fireplace, purchased a new sectional which we love. we haven't put up any art or shelving and need ideas to finish the room. we originally thought we'd have built-in cabinets (24 inch) on either side of the fireplace with bookshelves above, just like our old house. but, we only had time for the fireplace surround with new tile before the holidays and now we are thinking we don't want anything on either side of it because it so beautiful on its own. but we need something to put the cable box and surround/dvd unit. also in 1 corner, there is nothing -- i was thinking of building floating built-in bookcase (so that it doesn't cover the cold air return and plug) on the recliner wall and continue it to the fireplace wall for about 3 ft. it would match the height of the mantle and then put black or reclaimed wood shelves to display things that are still in storage. i need help to decide if this is the right thing to do or if someone else has other ideas. also the ottoman is from our old LR and was thinking i could sell it and get something round or 2 square cubes. the wall between the FR and the kitchen is going to change -- we're going to remove the post and make the wall 6 inches lower to increase the sight lines between the 2 rooms. i didn't like seeing the back of the sofa if we removed the whole wall. also we will paint the wood trim, this wall hasn't been touched. thanks for your help !!!
smgeiger
more pics
January 5, 2013 at 6:58am     
smgeiger
last pic
January 5, 2013 at 7:01am     
Norma Sassone
I think your shelves around the corner idea would be super - make them white to match the woodwork, but leave the back open so we can see the brick red on the wall behind them. You don't look like a cluttery type - so I dont think you'll fill them up too much - a display of old books a few art ceramics a couple or three photos is enough. Personally, with that huge sectional I don't think you need an ottoman or table - it becomes a traffic jam. That said, I LOVE your ottoman and it could be useful when you have folks over for a movie. Why not put it under the window to the left of the fireplace? You need a more substantial end table on the window end of the sofa and lots more fun cushions to liven up the room. It feels tasteful, but a bit staid. The recliner needs to move in at a 90 degree angle onto the rug. It looks all lonesome over by that door, in the photo any way. I threw in a suprise color of chartreuse to add that pop of color.
January 5, 2013 at 7:39am   
Norma Sassone
Also I like a decorated chest for the end table under the window.
January 5, 2013 at 7:42am   
Dar Eckert
Love your sofa but you should move it away from the wall, closer to the fireplace. It would be nice to be able to walk behind it. I think I would put a free standing bookcase on the wall next to the fireplace and wouldn't build one in just yet. Your room may see too crowded with bookcases on those walls. So just try a temporary one to see how it feels.
January 5, 2013 at 8:16am   
smgeiger
norma, thanks so much for your ideas. good to know that you like the floating corner shelves and yes, i would expose the red and neutral paint. the rug is actually the wrong size -- it's 8x8 and we are waiting for an 8x12 to arrive. then the recliner will have it's front feet on the rug and hopefully it will unify the look. the window end table definitely needs to be bigger and i like the one you suggested with storage. the reason i like an ottoman is because we always seem to put our feet up when we sit on the sofa, and if we had cubes or poufs we could use them as seating when people are over. would you do individual shelves over the floating shelving unit at tv level? thanks again, i love this website!!!
January 5, 2013 at 8:18am   
Norma Sassone
Hey! I think I would do a floor to ceiling corner shelf in the white and not add different sort of shelf above it, if I get your question correctly. Perhaps you do not want to bring the left side of the shelves all the way to the side of the fireplace so that you have a balance of the brick red equally on both sides of the fireplace - meaning stop the left side of the shelves equal distance from the fireplace as the right side of the window is on the opposite side. (Is that completely confusing?) I think you need a print in the room for textile interest - maybe in the poufs. Have fun and post some photos as you make progress.
January 5, 2013 at 8:54am   
Norma Sassone
Hmmm my pouf did not come up let me try again.
January 5, 2013 at 8:56am   
Norma Sassone
and again!!
January 5, 2013 at 8:58am   
the essentials inside
Hi smgeiger & Norma - Happy New Year!

smgeiger - love your room, your new sectional & your wall color! I'm wondering - can you move sectional in toward the fireplace over toward the doorway to the kitchen and in toward the fireplace (as Dar suggested), move the recliner to the right of fireplace (the non-window side) facing the sectional and then take another picture? Put the lamp behind the sectional & just take the side tables & ottoman out of the room for the picture. Then upload the pic? :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
January 5, 2013 at 9:20am   
Norma Sassone
One last thing smgeiger, then I'll leave you be. Dont know if you want to lower that wall behind the sofa. I think it is fine as it is, or you are going to get this strange back view of folk's heads only from the kitchen. What you do need to do is paint the trim white to match the rest of the room trim and the new shelves. Later on, much more expensive but gives the room and upscale look is some nice crown molding in white all around the room and wide floor molding as well.
January 5, 2013 at 9:50am     
Norma Sassone
let's see
January 5, 2013 at 9:53am   
smgeiger
thanks norma and dar for the suggestions. i love the pouf, where can i find it? also, not sure if i can move the sectional too much since it's a narrow room, but i will try -- maybe a few days. i agree norma on the bookshelf, and i totally understood what you meant. dar, i like the crown and wide floor molding idea as well. stay tuned...
January 5, 2013 at 11:22am   
smgeiger
and yes we are going to lower the 1/2 wall to increase sight lines or .... maybe take it down. i keep changing my mind, but the post is definitely going and the trim will be painted white like the rest of the room.
January 5, 2013 at 11:23am   
Norma Sassone
Pouf ottoman is from website LAMPS PLUS: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/red-clay-ikat-24-inch-wide-surya-pouf-ottoman__y3035.html might order one for my guest room sleeper sofa myself!
January 5, 2013 at 12:49pm   
rfan
I think built in bench seats on both sides of the fireplace...height of window ledge..if good height..and deep enough to be comfortable..with long cushions and some large throw pillows...might consider taking out large recliner and turning corner with that benchseat...then adding a game table in front ...at corner.
January 5, 2013 at 1:37pm   
carolannr
Love the open cabinet idea around the corner, even with the top of the mantle .Keep your ottoman as it ties the recliner to the rest of the room. Don't lower the wall behind the sofa, you don't want to see the kitchen sink from the living room - that's why its the height it is. You may not be able to remove the post either, may be structural necessity. You could use a bigger end table by the window with a lamp - doesn't look like there is alot of light at night with just one lamp.
January 5, 2013 at 2:01pm     
smgeiger
thanks for all the ideas, does anyone have a solution for the cable and surround sound box? right now they are on a little table handed down from my grandmother, but i would like something that blends and will be neat. when we originally wanted builtins on either side of fireplace we were going to do glass doors so the remote would work. but i don't like seeing all the wires behind the table. cable outlet is on left side of fireplace.
January 6, 2013 at 12:26pm   
need help with a long-narrow living/dining area
I will be moving into an apartment with a long-narrow...
Need help for my long narrow living room.
My living room is long and narrow. You come in the...
Need Help with long narrow living room
My husband and I bought our first home almost a year...
Need help for long & narrow Jack n Jill kids bathroom
I have a jack n jill BA that is long and narrow, between...
Bored with my loung room- need help pls!!
Hello Experts, I need help with my loung please! The...
Oil floors
We are trying to figure out whether or not we should...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Please critique my floorplan
This will be a 2 stories mountain house. Floor plans...
Does anyone know the name of these pavers??
I need to match these pavers.Does anyone know the name/design...