Victorian decor in Lake Cottage???
sharbriggs
We just bought this house, the furniture was left. How do I update decor but not lose the feel of an 1885 farmhouse on lake?
Nancy Hehmann
I think it is hard to update an 1885 look if that is what you are going for. If you don't need the curtains, I would just take them down so you can see the view better. Or use Roman shades and lower them at night. Or you could use shutters and leave them open during day. I know they had shutters in 1885 and it sounds like a lake house.

I am sure you will get more suggestions. Seems like when 1 person starts more follow. Have a Happy New Year and enjoy your new home.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 7:33AM
nsalta
I would start with a little color on the walls to frame the windows. I would remove the blue curtains and the torch lamp. The furniture will look better on a colored wall and then accent with pillows. A natural jute rug would also warm it up. Shabby chic it a bit for the cabin feel.
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 7:34AM
Heather Stevens
That sofa is brilliant! Add industrial and color with more modern color combos, like black and white and silver accents with colorful pillows.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 7:38AM
Heather Stevens
Oh...and get rid of those aweful curtains...sorry
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 7:39AM
Judith Taylor Designs
I would definitely remove the curtains so the view is featured. The furniture doesn't seem to be working well. Without knowing your budget it is difficult to be specific but here is what I would do. I would recover the sofa in something with some personality. I would paint the show wood frame to update it and lose the button tufting. I don't care for the wing chair in this setting so you might replace it with something with a lower back. I prefer the colour palette to reflect the colours in the view which will relate the interior and exterior in this setting. Then place the sofa so it is facing the view and place a chair on either side. A new rug and coffee table that update the space would be nice. I also think the paint could be a quiet neutral that isn't so bright ... that will frame the view. It looks like you have a beautiful place. Enjoy!
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 7:41AM
Natalie
Hi---nice place. I suggest slipcovers and woven or roman shades. Here's a pic and a link to some wonderful inspiration. The zebra rug is such an unexpected touch-♥ it! 80+ photos to steer you in a good direction to bring it up to date. Good Luck!
[houzz=Beach House]
LINK:
Project: Beach House Eclectic
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 7:51AM
chefmags
You would pay a FORTUNE for that sofa, and it should be used. As others have commented, just add colorful pillows or a throw. It would be costly to recover......... Do you have other shots of the room? I'm having trouble visualizing the entire space. I would change the area rug; this will help update the sofa. Perhaps a rug that's more of a statement, or at least more colorful. This could be more casual in feeling. I agree about getting rid of the curtains to enhance the view; you might find you don't want any window treatment (unless sun is an issue). A lovely room, though!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 7:51AM
If the furniture is from previous owner and have no value to you, I would start from a clean slate and working with a style that you like.

1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 7:56AM
jc07
The sofa is gorgeous. If you don't like the upholstery have it recovered. The lines in the sofa are a prize. Chalk paint with some dark wax on the wood trim of the couch, and you're set. But get rid of the lamp and those curtains.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 8:05AM
alicekevin
Curtains ... Gone! What are you looking at when on the couch? Should reconfigure furniture so when sitting you enjoy the view. Is that a floor lamp in the corner? As per curtains .... Have fun with this lovely looking place.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 8:12AM
Heather Stevens
Natalie's spot on!! Updated cottage!!
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 10:01AM
sharbriggs
Sofa is facing North, lake to the East. The other end of the room on the West wall. (piano is gone) Great comments, agreement on losing lamp and curtains, keeping couch. Thx!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 11:20AM
Cottage Reno needs your Houzzers touch!
The photos are of a "greatroom" concept cottage. kitchen,...
Cheryl Fisher
1890 coastal victorian, suggestions on whites, trim and walls the same?
We've just completed our floor restoration, it's been...
Holgan Land Surveying, PC
Bought 4 season lake cabin. In process of remodeling - what would you do?
Modern, vintage, cottage, industrial style is what...
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Victorian Cottage in Need of Gingerbread Trim, Millwork, or Gable Decor?
My cottage was built in 1876, and unfortunately is...
Kitana DeRosa
Ugly Mansard Victorian w/ Asbestos Siding: How to De-Uglify??
My family just bought an old house with a very ugly...
new_homeowner
Need help with open floor plan/no entryway
Help please!!! Our home has a strange layout in my...
sarahkj14
Can anyone identify this fabric?
I love this fabric for drapery, seems to be a linen...
colorme
Nursery ideas
I need help with a collage wall I'm putting together...
schillinger
10 years old porcelain shower. Is it still good? Help!
I still love our shower. Is it done, out of style?...
floreslj
kathy's kitchen
inspired by the love to cook
jokat6364