Living room furniture doesn't match room it's in
Rebecca BredholtJanuary 5, 2013
Love the wall color but this room feels too cold / doesn't match pottery barn style furniture - any ideas? Just change accents? To what?
michigammemom
Rebecca, glad I found your updated post with photos. I love the wall color AND your upholstered pieces and tripod lamps. For me the missing element is the softness of drapery panels paired with your shades. Great job so far!
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 12:18PM
jessica8269
I actually love the color of this room! For me, I like the lamps- but not necessarily in this room. I think some drapery would also make a huge difference :)
    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 12:22PM
Mary Koczwara
Everything in the room matches, but maybe too much. You need to inject some of your personality into the room and possibly do a little bit of rearranging.

Try moving the floor lamp over between the two chairs and the round table over to where the floor lamp was located. This will pull apart the "matching" lamps. Arrange a collection of items on the round table. Do you have some old leather-bound books, tall candlesticks, a collection of snow globes or sea shells? Just try to vary the heights of the objects and try find something that isn't red, ivory or tan - again to fight the "matchiness". Look in your closets for that item you love and have been saving to put 'somewhere'. It probably goes in your living room!

If possible, pull the rug straight out away from the window about 12" in order to expand the space somewhat. (It feels a little cramped.)

Since both of the pictures on the wall "match", do you have others you could either replace one of those with or add to in order to add more interest? Do you have any sculptural wall art?

Lastly, try adding some more throw pillows in a different size and a different color from those that you already have. Consider a bold, graphic pattern in leaf green or denim blue or even black and white if you are resistant to adding another color.

You don't have to do ALL of these things. If you like the pottery barn look then you were aiming for clean and streamlined, however, even the pottery barn look accommodates some personal items of interest.

The pictures below contain various elements I've described above. See if there's anything there that appeals to you.

You have selected excellent items thus far. Now you just have to put your stamp on it and make it your own!

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 1:33PM
Rina
Hi Rebecca. I'd suggest putting both the framed photographs (?) where the glass will not reflect windows, and replacing them with oils or wall hangings. Something earthier in texture and less reflective.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 8:10AM
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
Subtlety patterned batik or linen drapery panels would be a nice addition.
    Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 9:06AM
Girlfriend doesn't like wall storage unit. I do. Leave it or lose it?
Living room needs design assistance. Help!!! We moved...
caseymachula
What can I do to enhance my living room look? Hubby doesn't want to bu
Just moved in to our new condo 2 months ago, front...
Michelle Lin
I need to divide my studio apartment so it doesn't feel like one big box.
Typical small NYC apartment. The "living area" is...
joeykeys
Need color ideas for our ranch home renovation
Everything will be new except the red brick. What...
Tim Perry
Entryway
I am thinking of painting my entry wall (just the wall...
mabel6
Black or white garage door?!
Hello All!! What color do you think I should paint...
loveluxe
How should I deck my walls?
There will be a distressed hickory wood floor and new...
Lisa JMW
White Granite Advice!!! Please! :-)
Sorry its long....Im getting stressed....... Hello...
robeau3