How to decorate our stairwell?
14thstreet
My husband and I can't decide what to do to add more style to our stairwell. He has a strong dislike for "cluttered" spaces, so it has to be fairly clean-looking. In the foyer on the wall under the stained glass, I am having a narrow table made to fit that space which I plan to accessorize as well. Our style is mostly transitional. Thanks for all suggestions and inspiration photos!
MAlps
Dont see why a stairwell had to e " decorated , but if you want to add some flavor, get much longer chandelier that will hang lower. Also, on the ampty wall going down, you can putt some family photos in frames
January 5, 2013 at 4:00PM   
Nancy Hehmann
I woud get shutters for the window. Hang the photography on the wall instead of leaning it and you might want to add more together. I would put a decorative ceiling light at the top of the stairs flush with the ceiling.
January 5, 2013 at 4:06PM   
designbaron
PLEASE do not put family photos in frames going down the wall (sorry MAlps)... The simple table you mentioned sounds nice- but only add very few accessory pieces on it (I too am a minimalist). The picture could be hung over the table, however it seems a bit small for the space- it's hard for me to tell. A large mirror would work well too. Good luck!
January 5, 2013 at 4:19PM   
suziemoosh
I would get one large painting for the stairway.
January 5, 2013 at 4:22PM   
cyn222
Chandelier and long thin table under stain glass would be nice.
January 5, 2013 at 11:00PM   
Megan
stain glass (or faux) the window over your stairs & the transom window- it will create a soft colorful & always changing pattern on the walls & would fit the Craftsman style very well. Add a lower chandelier for the dark times & you are golden.

I LOVE your doorway & staircase, by the way. Your dilemma is my inspiration :)
January 5, 2013 at 11:07PM   
lebauer1
I really like what you plan to do with the custom made table. All I can think of that would really fit that large area is something large in size as well. I appreciate your minimalistic decorating taste so I would not add a lot either. My best suggestion would be to mount a deer head on the wall that you face when your coming down the stairs. The light from the chandelier would land beautifully on it and it could be viewed from outdoors as well since you have a window on the wall of the front door. Just a suggestion though, I would not add much more than that...it would take away from it being the focal point. Good luck and be sure to post an after pic with what ever it is you end up with! Happy decorating!!
January 6, 2013 at 7:36AM   
14thstreet
The deer head sounds great! I'll go get my gun...
January 6, 2013 at 9:06AM   
14thstreet
Thanks Megan! I saw the stairwell idea in a magazine years ago and clipped it for my idea book.

I like the ideas of doing something with the window....but we really don't want to block any of the light coming in.

We're looking at the chandelier height.
January 6, 2013 at 9:07AM   
trydogs
Love the colour you have;a Chandelier would make it finished! I recently brought a chandelier and had it made to my own design, now I want another one! Legacy Lighting they are in the UK, it worth taking a look, www.anyoldlamps.com I don't think you will be disappointed I know I wasn't. I had one made for my dinning room I had the brass chromed dipped to give it a modern touch it looks wow.
January 6, 2013 at 9:20AM   
14thstreet
designbaron - I too think that the picture alone is small for the space... I have a large mirror downstairs that I bought for over the wet bar, maybe I'll try that up here.
January 6, 2013 at 11:13AM   
14thstreet
What do you think about doing a larger scale photo collage, all in black frames? I could use the existing print that's leaning down there and hang it with additional framed photos...nothing smaller than 8x10...
January 7, 2013 at 6:47AM   
How to decorate large wall behind the sofa in our family room
In the last year we have remodled the kitchen, added...
How do I decorate our bookshelf
The bookshelf sits behind the dining table and we spend...
to dispense or not
We are installing a new countertop, sink and faucet....
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
New home landscaping
Help with new home landscaping. The home is located...
Help for a long master bath
We're remodeling our 1977 contemporary but following...
freestanding tubs
Planning stages of bathroom remodel....we only have...