Queen Ann table dining table....what chairs?
orangecamera
I just purchased a pre-owned round dining table with Queen Ann legs, and want to pair it with chairs that are "mid century" and have an upholstered seat. I prefer not to have an upholstered back.

The table is the size and shape I want, and very sturdy, but the wood is not in perfect condition. I'm fine with imperfect, but the table needs to be either re-stained, or painted. I'll take care of that once I'm settled in my new home (2 more weeks and counting!) and have had a chance to live with it a little and decide what to do.

I'm looking for inspiration pictures of Queen Ann with "modern", but can't seem to find anything. So I'm asking for opinions about whether this will look okay, and for some pictures to help me figure out what to look for.
smldesigns
Look at Ballard Designs for ideas. They have several chair styles that would blend.
January 5, 2013 at 7:14pm   
orangecamera
smldesigns, thank you. Can you please recommend a style or two that you think will blend Queen Ann and modern the best? I'm having trouble figuring this out for myself.
January 5, 2013 at 7:17pm   
Aja Mazin
How fortunate!
Did you know that a round Queen Ann table costs $1,600 AT Walmarts???

A variety of chairs would look fine with Queen Ann.

If you wanted upholster backs, I would choose a 2 pack of Parson chairs for $78.
[that $39 for a sturdy, new, wood frame chair!]

Then cover in your choice of fabric and styles!

[that picture is my style!]
January 5, 2013 at 7:34pm   
Aja Mazin
Or this chair in your choice of finish
January 5, 2013 at 7:45pm   
Aja Mazin
orangecamera,

Do not use "house paint" on fabric.

It is uncomfortably rough and stiff and can crack.

I have DYI instructions for painting upholstery.
If you want, I will post.
January 5, 2013 at 8:01pm   
orangecamera
Hi Aja :) I had been looking at Parson's chairs, but wasn't sure if they would look right. But I actually like the 2nd type of chair you posted better. If I could find those, I can reupholster them myself. THREE orange and blue fabric suggestions?! How on earth did you know? LOL.

I will keep my eyes open for chairs like the ones you suggested. I would actually like to mix and match different chairs. I like the idea of the same style, but different backs. I only need 6 chairs, so I think I'll be able to find 3 pair. I'll upholster them all with the same fabric. As a ballpark, I'm thinking I can do 6 chair seats with 3 yards or less, so even an expensive fabric won't be too much of a budget-buster. And if the wood is vastly different between the pairs, I can paint them all to match.

So many ideas running through my head!

Yes, please let me know your fabric paint recipe. You remember I had very good luck with your fantastic chalk paint recipe. I'll use chalk paint on the table and chairs if necessary.

(ps. I didn't pay $1600 for the table! It's round with 2 additional leaves, the *perfect* size for me!)
January 5, 2013 at 9:04pm   
Aja Mazin
Round with 2 additional leaves??

What a find!

Yes, I am actually begin to like colors other than white, cream, ivory, alabaster.....

3 yds should be ample.

And you can make chalk paint in sooooo many colors.
You might want to consider distressing the set.

The use of pairs of different chairs is fantastic!

I have a set of china that I collected that each place setting is different , but
related in style and colors.

I love it but I developed OCD in the process!!!

You might want to check out fabrics by Schumaker [a high end manufacturer] and then look for
a 3 yd remnant on ebay at a fraction of their price.

I did not know you were buying a new house.
Congratulations!
Your mind must be racing!
January 5, 2013 at 9:46pm   
Aja Mazin
I will find the fabric paint tutorial and repost.

[I originally posted it on the thread about the lady in Germany that bought like 16 different accent chairs for her apartment, but had no sofa.]
January 5, 2013 at 9:52pm   
orangecamera
Aja,
I'm the same way with china. For years I"ve been collecting red transferware, one piece at a time.

New house...yes! I closed on it several weeks ago, but there's a lot of work being done and it's easier when there's no furniture or occupants. The former owner was a heavy smoker, had a cat, and apparently didn't own a vacuum cleaner despite a house full of carpet. (You're making a face now, aren't you? LOL) Every floor is being replaced, every other surface is being primed and painted. If all goes according to the new revised amended final plan, I will be moving on the 18th.

I've had great fun hunting for and finding appliances, furniture and lighting at "antique" (aka just a bunch of old stuff) stores and Craigslist. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.
January 5, 2013 at 10:19pm     
Aja Mazin
So exciting!!!

I live for estate sales!

Everyone moves to St. Petersburg, Florida to die.
The area is resplendent with flea markets and "antique malls"

The prices are incredibly low!!
January 5, 2013 at 10:27pm   
mainstreetschool
I hope you have hit the eclectic stores on Central Ave in St Petersburg! They have such variety and quality mid-century selections! I wish I had a way to bring stuff home to Ohio! I love all the suggestions Good luck!
January 5, 2013 at 10:41pm   
Aja Mazin
mainstreetschool,

You bet I have!
January 5, 2013 at 10:47pm   
orangecamera
The table appears to be solid maple. I'm not a wood expert, so I don't really know the right terms to describe the finish. It looks like it was just stained, not shellac'd or varnished. There must be some sort of protective coating on it, but it doesn't actually look like there is. It's Queen Ann style, but I'm certain not actually from that time period.

I have the legs and leaves at home, but the top is large and heavy, so will be delivered once I've moved in a few weeks. The leaves are 46" long, 9" wide, and about 2" thick.

The table is mostly in good shape, but I think it would benefit from a fresh coat of stain. I want to keep it as close to the original color as possible.

It looks like I could just give it a light sanding, and re-stain it. But...I don't want to mess it up by doing the wrong thing. What's the best way for me to determine what the finish is? Once I know that, I can figure out how to proceed.
January 6, 2013 at 11:57pm   
Aja Mazin
January 7, 2013 at 1:56am   
Aja Mazin
If there is no "protective" finish, the wood will accept stain, so test a small spot.
January 7, 2013 at 2:01am   
smldesigns
Hi,
Sorry I missed your question to me but you have some good input. I also thought you might be interested in the contemporary version of the Queen Anne Chair. I like the different finishes and think you could choose just about any with your table. You could also just use these for the side chairs and have Parsons' chairs at the ends or vice-versa. I'm new to this site and am not sure how to attach pictures so here is the link: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/queen-anne-upholstered-chair/?pkey=e|dining%2Broom%2Bchairs|205|best|0|viewall|24||34&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Dining%20Chairs-_-
January 7, 2013 at 7:01am   
Rustic queen anne table in modern house. Need chairs!
Large great room with big views. Grey tweed couch....
Queen Ann table with modern chair?
I have this outdated cherry wood table I would like...
Queen Ann cherry table with modern chair
Can I use this chair and table together?
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Your biggest layout pet peeve?
We've all got them. What's your biggest pet peeve...
Coffee table help!
Desperately need to get rid of thus oversized ottoman...
Confusion regarding Delta Shower Faucet Valve and Trim Kits?
Delta has a lot of nice stuff but they make it a bit...