Help with Teal Trellis ottoman
jaz3
I recently got inspired to Hack an Ikea ottoman with some pretty trellis fabric in teal blue..the problem is, I didn't realize how badly the pattern would contrast with what I already had! Should I change out the fabric and re-upholster (would love ideas), or can I fix this some other way? (rug, pillows, art suggestions?) I added a picture of the ottoman and of my polyvore room plan. Would love any input or ideas. I was considering just taking out the mod-flower carpet but I really don't like my boring beige rug in there.
raynel
I like the fabric on the ottoman, it kind of plays off the design on the window (?) in the background.
January 5, 2013 at 7:54PM     
Jayme H.
Maybe tie in the blue from your ottoman into accessories such as pillows/a throw, etc..I don't think it's bad from what I can see in this pic. Or place a runner over it with the whitish color?
January 5, 2013 at 7:55PM     
anthip
Great hack. Lovely fabric. I don't like that rug so it would be an easy choice for me. Could you take a wider view photo of the room?
January 5, 2013 at 7:56PM     
jaz3
Thanks for the comments! Anthip, Ha! I appreciate your honesty. Here is a wider picture. So you think just get rid of the rug? Would you replace it with any other you had in mind?
January 5, 2013 at 8:16PM   
anthip
I'm sorry. I wrote that and then thought I sounded really horrid. :) Looking at it in the second photo the combination isn't too bad. Could you pull your armchair onto the rug a little (front two feet)? I wonder if you could get some throw cushions to pull together the colours and the idea of geometric print and flowers. I do wonder if a more abstract rug or an pale oriental would look awesome with the ottoman and the under TV display cabinet (cute as a button!). But I'm guessing your rug is quite new. The colours are lovely. Do you have another room it could work in?

[houzz=Gold and Silver Modern Rug from Safavieh]

[houzz=Mia Persian-Style Rug]
January 5, 2013 at 8:28PM     
jaz3
Oh, no worries! The chair is moved back because my two boys take running leaps into it, otherwise it is place on the corner :) It's about a year old, but I bought it on overstock because at the time we had nothing in the house and totally different dark espresso leather furniture..in other words, I am not married to it and it wasn't too expensive.
So, you are thinking a soft/muted color rug? I can't do the persian because I love the modern simple look more than curly and flowery, but I do like the gold and silver idea and was thinking that orange/gold would look nice too.
Thanks for your ideas.
January 5, 2013 at 8:42PM   
otmminaj
I would just get an new ottoman in a circle shape to go with pattern the ottoman looks kinda small and dose not utilize the space and it it a coffe table or ottoman because I wouldnt even be able to my feet on that its so small
January 5, 2013 at 8:47PM   
curacaoblue
I think the room would look very different without the rug. It's not bad and I don't even dislike it, it's just that the ottoman brings out a new vibe that I like more. I also think it would feel bigger without the rug. Just an idea
January 5, 2013 at 8:53PM     
Aja Mazin
Reupholster the ottoman

The blue is totally wrong.
January 5, 2013 at 9:02PM   
anthip
It depends what you like most - the ottoman fabric or the existing rug.

I liked the blue and gold rug best. But you've have to see what it looks like next to the ottoman fabric - possibly not great. Find something similar and then pull the blues and golds into your accents. I'm thinking this sort of thing but richer - and more modern and maybe with a small pop or two of lime green ;)

[houzz=Georgian Residence]

[houzz=Seating Area]
January 5, 2013 at 9:09PM   
jaz3
Aja, where is that fabric from? A more muted blue you think?
January 5, 2013 at 9:13PM     
cyn222
Change the rug and the rest if beautiful.
January 5, 2013 at 9:13PM   
jaz3
Anthip, I do like the one on the right. Thanks.
January 5, 2013 at 9:14PM   
jaz3
Since it's cheaper to just re-upholster, I will probably do that. Please post any fabrics that anyone may have in mind that would look okay here. Much appreciated!
January 5, 2013 at 9:15PM     
alwaysdesigning
I think you need to just liven up your colors; I think the upholstery is a good choice and it just needs a switch out with a new rug with the teal and your other colors in it. Be bold and enjoy. Keep all your rugs and furnishings and just switch them around every so often for new color combos. Good luck http://www.wayfair.com/Shaw-Rugs-Tranquility-Hula-Blue-Multi-Rug-3VB509440-SZ11061.html http://www.wayfair.com/Oriental-Weavers-Sphinx-Caspian-Ivory-Blue-Rug-3331W-OW4492.html
January 5, 2013 at 9:29PM   
moipre
Add a throw, solid color with texture!
January 5, 2013 at 9:48PM   
moipre
Add a throw, solid color with texture!
January 5, 2013 at 9:49PM   
Aja Mazin
1 to 1 1/2 yards of fabric is a whole lot cheaper than a new rug!

Gray cream ikat domesticate $18. per yd

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/225920
January 5, 2013 at 10:05PM     
Aja Mazin
And
January 5, 2013 at 10:16PM     
Natalie
Hi---I suggest changing the rug---it's very light, too light for that space. I like the ottoman, but if you do keep the rug, then Aja's fabric suggestions is perfect for the ottoman or you could change the rug, keep the ottoman, and add pillows with the fabrics- :)
I think the orange blinds are too contrasting with what you have going on---neutral hues for the windows. Pics for inspiration. Really like your wall color... Good Luck!

Rug http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/trans-ocean-horizon/aqua/139966304-36056.html
]
January 5, 2013 at 10:36PM   
Aja Mazin
That rug is lovely!
January 5, 2013 at 10:43PM   
Natalie
Thanks Aja! Love the fabs too. :)
January 5, 2013 at 10:52PM   
Megan
you can dye the fabric without taking it off - or leave it in the sun to fade out for a few weeks & it'll probably turn just the right shade
January 5, 2013 at 10:54PM   
sjkingston
What about flipping the rug so the darkest large flower is opposite the sectional in the same color to give better balance?
January 6, 2013 at 1:41AM     
Aja Mazin
While looking for fabric for jaz3, I just found the material I want for only $9.95!

What luck!

Timeless Treasures Autumn Plume Grey Gold Metallic.

Back to my sewing machine!
January 6, 2013 at 2:24AM     
pollyannagal
Flip the rug around so the darker flower is near the white chair. Change the curtains to a deep teal and add some teal cushions on the brown sofa.
January 6, 2013 at 4:24AM     
juliemahoney2
Why do you need the rug? It makes the space a bit choppy and looks like it is over wall to wall? The space would look bigger and flow more without it. Maybe bring the eye up from the floor with a shot of color in some accent assesories.
January 6, 2013 at 5:13AM   
juliemahoney2
More of the blue in the ottoman for assesories. Love your furniture!
January 6, 2013 at 5:14AM     
jaz3
Wow! Great suggestions! Thanks so much for your ideas and time in your searches! I originally bought bought the rug because all the furniture was brown and I have grey/brown walls. The rug actually was a color booster! The couch is actually West Elm's Blake sectional in Otter, a lovely grey. I agree about the blinds, Natalie, they came with the house and I am hoping to change them out soon too but unsure where to start.
January 6, 2013 at 6:29AM     
mbyfield
ahh that fabric we all love. I did the opposite- bought a rug and it clashed with the entire room!. dont let that ottoman with its beautiful fabric throw you off, maybe another room can benefit from this ottoman. Change the fabric.
March 18, 2014 at 3:58PM   
Kitchen cabinet update?removing center of cabinets
I want to remove the center of some of the wood cabinets...
Need to warm this space up
I need a little help. This space needs some design....
Please help my house be irresistible... Curb appeal needed
Looking to sell and need some help in the curb appeal...
Need feedback on Proposed Plan remodel
Hi We are finalizing our plans for a remodel of...
Looking for advice Wall Color and Front Desk Color
I was thinking of going white gray with the walls....