Help with redoing my kitchen

tash2115January 6, 2013
Redoing my kitchen but not sure if I should open this wall. Would like to get rid of bar and get new design idea
thislittlehouse
Oh definitely open it up! You won't regret having more light and air in your kitchen - it looks quite dark in the pics. Are you going to entirely redo the kitchen? If you want advice on the layout you may need to put up a floor plan so that we can get a sense of adjoining rooms, doors, windows etc.
:) Elise
    Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 2:40PM
bonnieth
I am so happy that I added a large window to the outside and got rid of my bar to have the kitchen more open to the dining room.
    Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 2:52PM
tash2115
Yes I plan to gut it out and do the entire kitchen. I wish I could put in a larger window but I will lose out on cabinetry. I most likely would need to hire a kitchen designer to get it right. I would love more light, or if possible have an island with seating.
    Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 4:54PM
Nancy Hehmann
Consult with a contractor. He will tell you if it is a load baring wall and if you can completely take it out or what is necessary to prevent a collapse. But, you are right it would be a great idea to open it up.
    Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 5:02PM
tash2115
My contractor was not able to quite tell, but will check again- but that also is a concern for me as well.
    Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 5:12PM
If your contractor cannot tell you immediately what is a load bearing wall, you need to get a new contractor. I could tell you what is a load bearing wall; no secret to that.
    Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 5:15PM
tash2115
that was funny. I actually didn't' think of the option of opening up the wall, until after- but I don't believe it is-I will have him look to be sure.
    Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 5:30PM
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
Where is your current eating area? Is it the bar with the stools? Or do you have an eating area on the other side of that wall?
I too would love the openness of removing that wall but you need to think about an eating area as well so the room design functions right for you and your family.
    Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 5:43PM
bonnieth
I agree, a good contractor will know what is a load bearing wall. Although mine was, I still got my new window because he added bracing and support......I ended up with MORE cabinet space because I pulled the kitchen into the dining space some. My last cabinets have glass inserts for my china so I don't have to have a china cabinet, only room for the table.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 6:04PM
tash2115
yes I have a dining area- I did use the barstool- the kitchen is very small so I think opening it up will allow for more room. I wanted to put a island with cabinetry too just to have additional cabinets in the center as well. I am still playing around with the layout.
    Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 6:31PM
I need help. I am redoing my kitchen and have a washed...
moondrop
Help! Redoing my 90s kitchen!
We are wanting to update our kitchen, I would love...
Heather
Need help with redoing my kitchen
I have solid wood cabinet doors and white painted cabinets....
rmadding
Wanting to redo my small kitchen
Can you tell me the dimensions of this kitchen?
sampistana
Jacquelyn Sapp
Fireplace
Building a two storey house with an 'open to below'...
mbolt
Can we place dark brown leather with blue walls?
Considering changing the color scheme in our den from...
abbyanddoug
Fireplace Redo
We are doing some updating in our living room. We tore...
drtl
Kitchen Reno - Need a backsplash
So we've gotten most of the renovation completed on...
Erin Lang
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
toatsmcgoats