Need help for my new living room!
M H
Hi there! I am having huge design dilemmas for my family room. I don't know if the layout is right for the room or not. Does the chair look funny by itself? What else can I do with this room? Should I stick with a rectangular shape for a coffee table or should I go with round? Thanks for your help!
clearfieldbison
We used to have our TV over fireplace and the room never felt comfortable. We moved TV to wall between two windows,added two rectangular coffee tables (metal and lightweight wood) that we push together or separate depending on activity or number of people. This made our room FINALLY comfortable and balanced. I know it is a pain to move TV,but that allowed me to add other options
January 6, 2013 at 8:34AM   
steffoxy
The chair looks a little out of place. Other than that all you need is a rug and coffee table, I don't think the shape of the table matters.
January 6, 2013 at 8:41AM   
One option is to use a round glass coffee table with a light rug underneath to help brighten up the room.

January 6, 2013 at 9:14AM     
dutchaccent
I love this room (wall color, floors, furniture). It looks to me that a round table would look best. Or a large square one. And maybe, in spite of the gorgeous floor, a light rug like Dylecture recommends would be nice.
January 6, 2013 at 9:33AM   
M H
Thank you all for your comments!

I know the chair looks odd but I have no idea where to move it. It is a rocker/recliner and only fits by the bowed window. I tried placing the three seater couch where the chair is and lining up the two seater and the chair across and it looked awful! I am sooo confused! :s

I tested a rectangular coffee table in the room and it sort of works too - still not sure! I think a square table will close the room up and am leaning more towards a round table.
January 6, 2013 at 10:09AM     
collettec
I agree with Dytecture that a light color rug would add a lot as would a coffee table. Even something like a trunk would be a choice and would add some needed texture or a rustic table in a bit lighter wood. Think you could use texture and color elsewhere, pillows and throws on the furniture to break up the leather - maybe pulling color from the pictures. Adding a table under the picture next to the fireplace, where there isn't a table would help balance the two sides of the fireplace - doesn't have to be the same as the table on the other side - just similar.
January 6, 2013 at 10:26AM     
rtist9
Add a small mini bar on the other side to balance it out. Then get a plush /soft rug or a animal print if you are daring. If you only want to do 1 thing to spruce up the room then add tack lighting above those 2pictures. The difference will be spectacular.
January 6, 2013 at 10:39AM   
constancemary
The television does overwhelm your fireplace somewhat. Are you up for adding some size to the fireplace by incorporating built-in shelves either side and a slightly larger mantel? A nice arrangement of books and collectables will soften the overall look, as will an area rug. A round coffee table (echoing the rounded shoulders of this oversize furniture), with a glass top will lighten the look, as will a softer patterned area rug. The room needs some colour...toss cushions and/or throws in orange, red, purple and/or green would help.
Good luck!
January 6, 2013 at 10:59AM     
Need help for my living room plan for my new house
My living,dining areas are open.I need some nice ideas...
need help with my new partition for my living room
I recently bought a house where the original owner...
Need help for my new home living room and other rooms.
Hi I am shifting to my new house. Need your advise...
Need help for living room in my new apartment!!
Hi all, I just purchashed a new apartment in Bogota,...
Need help furnishing my new living room!
Hi! I just bought my first house and need some...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Kitchen flooring
We just did a major remodel and I'm down to the floors....
Family room
Which chair looks better in my family room? The brown...
Updating Kitchn
I'm planning to update my kitchen, but am not completely...
What should you know when you buy an old home?
There are special challenges when buying an older home....