Paul Holligan
How do I design a large kitchen/dining/living space?
Hi All,

I’m just completing an extension and renovation of a 1930’s property and am trying to plan an open plan kitchen/diner/play room. There is a separate living/snug area but as we anticipate spending a lot of family time in the open plan area we want to make it as versatile as possible. In the plan I have uploaded I have shown a kitchen location etc but this is just to show what I’m trying to get in.

There is a fire place which I thought would be perfect for a range cooker and this also meant the seating area would be towards the lighter end of the room and the garden which the bifold doors open on to. My dilemma is more surrounding the dining and seating area where we would like a television. Video distribution can be installed to any location and a wall mounted flat screen would be preferable, but where to put it?!

We would also like a dining table which could seat 10-12 for larger family occasions but this would be extendable and seat 6-8 under normal circumstances.

The area will be a place to cook, eat, entertain and play with kids etc, a real lived in space! I can’t picture what would work best though. I believe we have the size to achieve what we’re after but don’t have the vision at the moment……any help would be greatly appreciated :o)
atticaNord
can u upload a pic of the space?
0 Likes   March 15, 2011 at 6:12AM
Paul Holligan
The space at the moment is a concrete slab with blocks up to DPC! The current outer wall is where the plan kicks in and has not been knocked through yet, this happens once the steels are in.

I'm trying to plan the space in advance so I know where to put underfloor heating (not under kitchen cupboards) and AV points etc.
0 Likes   March 15, 2011 at 7:21AM
atticaNord
height?
0 Likes   March 15, 2011 at 2:39PM
bepsf
Personally, I'd eliminate the peninsula counter and go with a large farmhouse table in the center of the kitchen that could also serve as a workspace/island...
...this way, you'd have the entire space across the back of the building for seating, TV, etc. - and a large TV could go on the wall where you've drawn in the sofa, a larger sofa could go under the far window and 4 armchairs could go in the room & be turned to face the TV as necessary.

If not, then build a half-wall behind the peninsula and install your TV on that wall & arrange the seating to face it.
0 Likes   March 15, 2011 at 2:54PM
Paul Holligan
The ceiling is vaulted in the rear portion up to 3.4m and flat in the kitchen side at 2.4m.

I have shifted things around and I think they look better but I still don't know where to put the tv. I don't like the idea of building a wall specifically for the tv as I think it will change the open plan feel.

Thanks for your comments.
0 Likes   March 16, 2011 at 1:36AM
kfarhat
How about placing the TV in the corner against the laundry room? It would not be viewable from the kitchen but I think it would be the least obtrusive and would be a good use of that corner.
0 Likes   March 16, 2011 at 5:58AM
Paul Holligan
That does look like a good place for it in the configuration above, I suppose you shouldn't be watching TV whilst chopping a carrot anyway!

It's really difficult to get a feel for the space in its current state, we've found that once the walls go up a space is transformed in to a room and suddenly feels bigger....and then bigger again when the furniture goes in. Very strange!
0 Likes   March 16, 2011 at 8:20AM
atticaNord
take a look at these 2 solutions. The 1st one here and the other one follow s

or for More pics here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=33940&id=100001395090374&l=9a9d14d2e9

email me for full size renders. Hope u like it.
0 Likes   March 17, 2011 at 7:18AM
atticaNord
... and the 2nd
0 Likes   March 17, 2011 at 7:19AM
Paul Holligan
That is amazing, thanks you so much! It makes such a difference being able to visualise the space.

It always seemed on paper there should be enough space to get everything we wanted in there but when you're stood there in it's current state it doesn't feel that big.

What software do you use for modelling and rendering?

Thanks again :o)
0 Likes   March 17, 2011 at 8:11AM
atticaNord
im happy u like it, witch one u like most? In real there are much more space than a 2d or even in 3d draw. For anything u want to ask about how u construct it, plz email me, there are some details u must know. (atticanord@yahoo.com)
0 Likes   March 17, 2011 at 9:14AM
InteriorsbyDesign
I don't know... Something about the above drawings looks cramped to me. The kitchen is tiny, the dining area so tight. You cannot realistically seat 10 people at the dining table, as shown, in such a small space. Are these really to proper scale? Wood Chairs and carved sofa too formal for family with children. And, where is your fridge?
0 Likes   March 20, 2011 at 10:30AM
Paul Holligan
I must admit I was thinking of having a more spacious feeling kitchen, possibly no wall units so the fridge and freezer would be built in under the counter.

The table would only need to seat 10-12 occassionally so we wouldn't mind shifting things around to accomodate this. the fixed seating shown does tend to limit the flexibility....I'm sure my daughter will want to clear the area to make a dance floor most weekends too!

The plans I added at the top are to scale.....apart from the table and sofa, I just dropped those in to show locations etc. I presume the models are to scale, they sort of look right anyway!
0 Likes   March 20, 2011 at 2:21PM
atticaNord
our dear interiorbydesign, we understand - as u said - that u dont know, and we respect that. It s very easy to do criticism and suggest no solutions, but imagine that the area is only 36,88 tm and really hard to fit a big kitchen, a long 10 person table and a comfortable living room for 10 people also. So we must help these people to find the best for them in there space. About the scale, of course is the proper becouse before 3d we always draw in cad 2d. Oh, and the fridge is the tall thing right to the door and the style of the furnitures is just an example.
pholligan, email us to sending u 2 pdf files with 2d plan floor and pics, distance full. U can print it - paper A3 - scale 1/50. Also a 3rd solution - a minimal one. Happy to help u.
1 Like   March 21, 2011 at 3:06PM
Scott Haig, CKD
Wow, atticanord, those are great solutions! I like #1, but prefer the last design to all--integrating the serving table into the kitchen/work area--really opens up the space, and the owner's don't always have to keep all the chairs there. An expandable table that functions as a work table and when dressed up, a serving table could function nicely. Well done!
0 Likes   March 21, 2011 at 3:37PM
Paul Holligan
Wow indeed, the third solution really has opened up the space and possibilities! Thank you so much for the time you have taken to come up with these designs. It really brings the designs to life seeing them in 3D.
0 Likes   March 21, 2011 at 4:13PM
tmemed
Have you considered tearing down the laundry and including the washer/dryer in the kitchen? It seems like a large waste of space like this.
0 Likes   March 22, 2011 at 3:37AM
Paul Holligan
The laundry room also houses the boiler, the media centre which has a LOT of wiring for distributed video throughout the house and some additional storage for cleaning products etc.

We had an open plan living space in a previous house which had the washer in the kitchen and found it really annoying because of the noise. We've got a fair amount of sound insulation going in because of this.
0 Likes   March 23, 2011 at 4:18AM
Need help for my kitchen...almond melamine and honey oak cupboards!
Hello, So I am finally getting around to doing something...
spitfirevc
rredpenn
Living room elements?? Help!
Hi! Ok welcome to our 1960's house :) we would like...
ommo13
What to add to this wall?
What do you suggest to be hung over the towel bar behind...
Colleen
Desperately seeking color!
Hello, amateur here! I have recently renovated a small...
feltovic