What can I put on these plants stands
Darla
I have these tall plant stands and I had electrical outlets put in for holiday decor but I am puzzled on what to put up there during the meantime. I want something that lights up. Maybe big vases with floral branches that light up? Any ideas would be appreciated.
dsue64
I would put some simple full silk ivy plants that trail down the shelves a bit.
January 6, 2013 at 8:05am     
fabia
I have this situation in the new home I am moving into. The current owner has silk plants in this position. I hate them. Either leave them empty, or use this space to display a large item. Something sculptural. Something really out of scale.
January 6, 2013 at 8:10am     
fabia
Samples of items to appear on top of the pedistals.
January 6, 2013 at 8:19am     
Claire Hitchen
How about giant lanterns ?
January 6, 2013 at 8:22am     
mgnelson
Go to local art fairs and find some large beautiful pottery, maybe three pieces that match your decor, traditional, contemporary, ???
January 6, 2013 at 8:23am     
Tammy Sprinkle
I like the thought of sculptures or large vases as shown above with branches or dried flowers in them and an up light behind them that you can purchase fairly inexpensively at Lowe's.
January 6, 2013 at 8:26am     
charro534
I wouldn't put anything silk up there. It just looks fake and gets very dusty. I would go with the large lantern idea.
Maybe like this: http://rk.pbimgs.com/pbimgs/rk/images/dp/wcm/201250/0012/img14o.jpg
You could have them wired so they would light up.
January 6, 2013 at 8:35am     
angryredhead
Something sculptural, as others have said, with a couple adjustable accent lights.

Or maybe just a couple adjustable accent lights as wall washers.
January 6, 2013 at 8:38am     
All About Home Electronics.com
I wonder if it would be a good idea to put something up there? What about considering painting the door entry wall a highlight color, switching to a much more dramatic lower hanging chandelier and a really nice floor rug?
January 6, 2013 at 9:06am     
sdt2
Consider building an arch or some structure to link the two structures, perhaps adding gentle downlighting. Use molding and/or accent color to define it as a sculptural element. Narrowing the entry point creates a sense of arrival at the doorway for guests and magnifies the volume of the foyer as one walks through the arch into the open space. The smaller scale of the space at the initial entry point is more welcoming. Frank Lloyd Wright used this concept in many homes.
January 6, 2013 at 9:27am     
Darla
I love all of these ideas, I agree that painting a contrasting color would make it look more inviting. Thank you all!
January 6, 2013 at 3:02pm   
Bonnie
I like the giant lantern idea. I saw some "remote controlled candles" on the Frontgate website. I have not seen them in person but the website says the flame generated from the candle is virtually indistinguishable from a real flame. Plus they are remote controlled so you could turn them on and off easily. Here is the link for the remote controlled candles . You could arrange them within a giant lantern in a staggered and interesting way.
http://www.frontgate.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/battery-operated-dream-candles-with-remote-control/27613?redirect=y
January 6, 2013 at 3:14pm     
rtist9
No ivys, no dead peoples ash urns,nothing gothic and vampire-ish. You want 2glass sculptured art pieces;Then at christmas you want 2tall narrow beautiful champagne gold trees with white lights decorated with clear ornaments. It will be gorgeous every year. Have your electrician change outlets so you can turn them on from a switch downstairs. Also put them on a timer so at christmas they turn on as soon as it gets dark. I might have a carpenter put some windows there so you could see what ever scuptures or christmas trees you put there.You can also hang a beautiful chandelier in front of that window you already have,to create curb appeal!
January 6, 2013 at 3:17pm     
dipstckfathead
To coordinate with the oiled metal door knob and hinges, why not try a long mirror with a dark, heavy metal frame on the wall of right side, maybe some srolly-looking metal design over the door and some dark, nautual colored arrangement on top that cascades down the sides. Also, I think some kind of heavy metal figurine or bowl on top next to the floral arrangement. Good luck to you...your home looks beautiful
January 6, 2013 at 3:27pm   
Aja Mazin
Yes! Branches!

Here is my favorite place to find all types and sizes of branches, bamboo, vases.

I love the Sparkle Birch Branches, 3 to 4 ft tall.

Bamboo spray, 4 to 5 ft tall, in semi-gloss black color.

Mitsumata branches with crystals

Lighted Sandblasted Manzanita Centerpiece Kit
January 6, 2013 at 5:25pm     
ManLand LandMan
Plants would be real tacky! No plants!
January 6, 2013 at 5:30pm     
susan1224
I agree with electronic.com. You can add interest and drama by lowering your fixture or replacing with a larger more dramatic one, changing the rug and adding color with paint. Your foyer has great potential!
January 6, 2013 at 5:47pm     
Christine
would you consider paying to frame in a bridge over the top of the doorway to unify both columns then you can put plants up there or drape a fabric or do a scene using pots, ceramics and whatever else. They look too sentinel as they are and just popping stuff on top will make it seem more so. However if you are set on leaving them as is then try to have stuff going on from chest height all the way up to whatever you end up capping it with. I like the idea of twisted willow branches.
January 6, 2013 at 6:00pm     
hmschoolmom
With the dark floors, I see wrought iron garden sculptures from a plant nursery. Here's one generic example: http://www.windowbox.com/garden-decorations-lighting-lanterns/garden-trellis/set-of-3-tin-garden-spheres.html
January 6, 2013 at 6:27pm     
Darla
Thank you!
January 6, 2013 at 6:55pm   
Aja Mazin
Those conveniently placed electric out lets are begging for lights!

Here are a few the Light Garden:
January 6, 2013 at 7:20pm     
Darla
I love those Aja! Beautiful! Where can I buy these?
January 7, 2013 at 6:14pm     
ManLand LandMan
I'm almost sorry that you have that odd space. It's just not a great space : (
January 7, 2013 at 6:16pm   
Aja Mazin
Here is the website, but I saw a selection at a retail outlet http://lightgarden.cameoez.com/Scripts/PublicSite/

If you wish, I will find an online retailer.

I think their designs are incredible!
Sophisticated yet whimsical.

On the topic of incredible lighting, my husband is interested in a home he found while traveling abroad.
January 7, 2013 at 6:26pm     
saraj11357
I like the lantern idea too! Have fun with it! Maybe something whimsical?
January 7, 2013 at 6:29pm     
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider building a same-shape soffit over each pedestal with a recessed light. It looks like there is enough height to have a soffit and still accommodate your tallest pieces. It will also give the tops of the closets more architectural appeal and purpose. The wiring in the existing outlets would be the electrical source for the recessed lights so the cost for an electrician to pull wires and install the lights and switch would be minimal. Then the objects on display can be anything of interest. You may want to consider a dimmer and timer on the switch.
January 7, 2013 at 7:04pm   
Bonnie
Aja, is that pic another joke? That would be like living in a mirrored fun house... wouldn't it? Looks like a pretty lobby for a hotel though.
January 9, 2013 at 8:09am     
orangecamera
Aja, I think you need a cold compress on your forehead, and a nap. :D
January 9, 2013 at 8:14am     
Dar Eckert
Hang a very large chandelier over the entry. It will draw your eyes and you won't even notice the tops of the cabinets.
January 9, 2013 at 8:25am     
orangecamera
This picture inspired an idea... (I know the actual style doesn't work...but the concept might)

You could put lots of molding, or paneling or something around your 2 closet areas, to make them look more like "furniture" than just walls.

Whatever you put on top will only be seen from upstairs anyway, so perhaps extend the walls that contain the closet doors all the way up to the ceiling. That would create boxes, which would be open only to the view from upstairs.

If you want the boxes wider, you can build the bridge as sdt2 suggests above, and then extend walls upward from that. (Wider side boxes, narrower "box" around the window - or- 3 equal sized boxes).

If you did that, you'd essentially have 3 boxes to decorate. Each one will be more manageable than one large open space. I'd display a trio of stoneware jugs or crocks, or a trio of large colorful glass art pieces. I think colored glass in front of the window would add a lot of beauty, day and night.

Within each "box" you could also do a grouping of smaller items, and put some of them on raised platforms of varying heights.

January 9, 2013 at 8:59am     
Aja Mazin
Bonnie

Actually it is the reception area at a new luxury apartment high rise in Jeddah currently under development that is the joint effort of Versace and Damac.

It features full concierge service, restaurants, shopping [Cartier, Tiffany, furriers, etc.], 3 luxurious spas,
gardens,private elevators, a heliport,......

Massive 2 story units designed by Versace are available.

hmm...
Good reason for Americans to go green and become energy independent!
January 9, 2013 at 12:47pm     
sucojo
Nothing! I wouldn't put anything up there. I would paint the inside of your front door black. Buy a bigger light fixture, probably a lantern and hang it lower. Then replace your rug with a design or sea grass.
January 9, 2013 at 2:08pm     
Dar Eckert

Saw this photo and thought of you.
January 10, 2013 at 7:37am   
Color Help!!
Hello All What Colors/Finish were used in this room?...
i need help with 2 things stairwell and front of house
This is a very narrow stairwell and am trying to make...
Paint color for open space rental apartment kitchen walls/cabinets?
I need to paint my dated, ugly rental kitchen. I live...
Anyone know a dealer that stocks Prestige Mills carpet?
I feel in love with the old dye lot of a pattern called...
I need help deciding where to center an art piece on a wall?
My client has a wall with a towel bar and a light switch...