Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gretchgly

Difficult windows - need help figuring out window treatments

Gretchen
11 years ago
I need help figuring out how to cover the windows in my living room. There are 2 banks of windows that are completely different.

My first instinct was drapery panels, but there doesn't seem to be enough wall space on the sides of the windows to hang them properly. Also, the windows in the front of the room are of differing heights. My next thought was some sort of bamboo or woven shade - but the windows in the front of the room have curved frames which makes things difficult.

It is an older home (1905) but I would describe our style as more transitional. I like clean window treatments (woven shades, shutters) and nothing fussy.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks so much.

Comments (20)

• Gretchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Am attaching another photo of our other bank of windows.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Simple roman blinds set inside the frames for both would be beautiful without interrupting the lovely architectural lines and woodwork.
  • Gretchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Interior mount? I just worry about the curved windows and shades not fitting in frame properly...
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Some examples:
    Cape Cod Style in Dana Point, California · More Info

Motorized Roman Shades in a bay window and built in window seat · More Info
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I prefer interior mount so you can still see your beautiful woodwork. But the upper frame would need to be custom made with a curve in it. But that would be true for an over mount as well, as the wall is curved.
  • Gretchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks - will definitely consider this. I prefer interior mounting as well...
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Of course, drapes on a curved rod will work too, but then you are hiding those beautiful frames. Gorgeous house!
  • smldesigns
    11 years ago
    I agree roman shades or natural woven blinds (shades) would work beautifully based on the first photo. I would mount them on the inside so the trim stands out. As for the other bank of windows, You may be able to mount the same on the outside if the curve is not too dramatic. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy one of their natural woven shades that they have in stock and see if it would work - just holding it up to the window. If it does and you like it buy more or return it and get custom.
    Hopefully others will chime in on your dilemma. These are my initial thoughts.
  • Gretchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The curve is pretty hard to work with... Attaching more photos.
  • sluggodog
    11 years ago
    Agree with the inset roman blinds for the 3 bank of windows. For the really curved windows I would prefer to see the blinds (perhaps material) on the outside so you can have them run all the same length across the top - windows will look more symetrical. Or you could just do half blinds from the bottom up, gives you the privacy but still let's light in as it looks like those are your front street windows. (pic 3). Included some ideas, ignore the color/fabrics. Are both sets of windows in the same room?
  • Rosemarie
    11 years ago
    Roman cloth shades can be mounted without rods, either snaps or industrial grade velco, inside mount. Choose a complimentary pattern or color to coordinate with the furniture. Use smallish round table with smaller chairs on each side. the wood wrk is too beautiful to cover with full drapes!
  • Gretchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, both sets of windows in same room... Love top down/bottom up - but again I guess would have to be custom to account for curve? Vexing.
  • sluggodog
    11 years ago
    Here is another one by Candice Olson. I have seen a couple of her shows where she ran the curtains out in front of the windows on the wall - always wondered how she would address bay windows like this and it works well.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Hunter-Douglas may do your custom up/down shades. I like them too, but remember when down you'll see the cords on the open part of the window - they seem "faded away" on the illustrations and ads, so they may be a surprise to see when installed.
  • emory
    11 years ago
    Sluggodog's Candace Olson photo is very convincing. Decoenthusiaste is so right - the topdown/bottomup style roman shades look very unfinished unless there are drapery panels beside the windows to hide the exposed cords going up to the top. Love the woven woods, but only if they can be curved at the top to fit your curved windows, otherwise cloth romans would be good, with draperies hung as shown. Another option: a total of nine panels hung like columns, at left and right end of each group of windows as well as between the windows. You can use very short wooden or metal rods or have a custom continuous curved rod made up (it's fairly common and a straight rod for the other group.). Also, tailored semi-sheer cafe-type panels at the bottom half of each window would look good as wel as provide a measure of privacyl, with column panels framing them. Good luck!
  • cruzpainting
    11 years ago
    Long drapes in between and on the ends would add a lot of warmth to the space and make the windows look like one long window.

For your curved space window coordinating relaxed roman shades would add bulk and warmth as well
  • Gretchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Love the Candice Olson photo and see how that would work nicely - if I didn't have a very short wall to the left of the windows with a French door that swings open there making it even shorter.... But everyone seems to agree on shades so I will probably end up going in that direction. The top down/bottom up cords don't bother me so much as I like having the option of some privacy yet still able to get light and see outside. I still can't see getting panels to work in the front curved bank due to the molding differing heights. Think it might look funny to have panels hung to fit higher windows and then I couldn't do the same height on the ends as molding in way. Argh. ;)
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    I would recommend going with a Cellular Shade . It would fit perfectly inside you window frames for a nice clean modern look. it also has the options for Top Down Bottom Up to give you all the privacy and light control you need .

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    11 years ago
    As many Houzzers here suggest, roman blinds may work quite well. And I would like to add that drapes can also work as nice when you choose the perfect one.

Cheery Curtains have lots of nice curtains that you may like, for more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022