Installing heated hardwood flooring
murph1866
I'm building a home and want to put a heated floor in my sunroom. My flooring is going to be 2.5 inch tongue-in-groove hardwood, nailed into the sub floor then stained and polyurethaned. I have only seen the floor heat installed with tile and snap-in type "hardwood". Anyone have an idea how I can do this? I'm worried that nailing the flooring down will break the wiring/circuitry.
Cancork Floor Inc.
Here is the problem I foresee: electric in floor radiant heating with combustible material! My cork floors are well suited to radiant in-floor heating but ONLY HYDRONIC (water). We will not carry a warranty over electric radiant heated floors...no matter what the other company says.

You probably have chosen the two types of flooring (radiant heat + hardwood) that normally do NOT go together. Add in the Fire hazard, and you may be in for a huge surprise...like your insurance company may not cover damage IF SOMETHING were to happen.

And you are dead on with the concern of the wiring being disturbed! My brother is a fire fighter and a flooring installer and he has horror stories about problems with wiring. I have contractors that won't work with this type of radiant heating...not after having nasty shocks...and they hadn't even installed the floor.

I've seen the newer "specs" on the electric heated floors and I still won't let my floor be installed over top...and my floors are floating CORK floors! No nails! And a material that is VERY difficult to ignite!

The only electrical, in-floor radiant heat that is worth anything (my opinion...so stop me if you've heard this before) is one encased in CONCRETE! And I won't let my floor be installed over that one either!

IF you want in floor heating - hydronic is really the way to go. If you want hardwood over top of it, you should be looking at a floating hardwood (very rare to find...but they are out there) that is specified for radiant heating (the RAREST BIRD OF ALL).

You may want to look at a high-end engineered hardwood - almost all of them carry the right specs for radiant heating...but be careful with the electric!

Sorry, but you may have to choose which is more important...the hard wood or the radiant heating!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 2:12PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
Oh, right. Forgot to mention: a cork floor will give you the "warm" feeling you are looking for. Without the expense of putting in radiant heat! I have clients in N. Alberta that have turned off their radiant systems because the cork did what they were looking for! They could have saved $5,000 -$15,000 had they started with cork and not ended with it!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 2:14PM
mmcguin627
Can I have floor heat under hardwood floors?
I added a 14x24 room to the back of our house. Half...
kjmax99
Radiant floor heating and site finished hardwood
Can I use site finished hardwood and radiant floor...
jacques Farley
Style concept dilemma
Here's another good example of our interior design...
Vanguard development LA
Help my Bathroom!!!
My log cabin guest bathroom is really boring. I want...
cabinretreater43
rredpenn
To all Houzzers...
Have a great holiday season.
Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
Pre 1940's house in Vancouver
Has anyone renovated or torn a pre-1940 house down...
Bev Constantini