Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_goetz29

Backsplash help!

Michelle Goetz
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know what backsplash to go with. I like glass subway tiles, marble and mother of pearl. The granite (St. Cecilia White) is not as white as I hoped it would be. I need to kick it up a notch. I'm also planning on putting overhead, under cabinet and toe kick lighting. It's just too dark! Your feedback is appreciated!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    SimpleDecoratingTips.com
    9 years ago

Yep, I agree... with your white trim, to do white tile or white beadboard backsplash, (a much cheaper alternative to tile) will help it to pop. And for sure you need undercabinet lighting. Also, some pendants or a properly sized chandelier over the island will be beneficial as well to the lighting...
    Liz www.hometocottage.com

Michelle Goetz thanked SimpleDecoratingTips.com
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

Use a white porcelain subway tile with a light marble design (or go with plain off-white) not glass, but porcelain with a shiny finish. Lay them in a running bond pattern horizontally with one of the lightest colors from the counter as the grout color. Carry them at the same height clear around continuing above the sink & straight across to the end of the upper cabinet on the right end. Put your under cabinet lighting in LED on dimmers (as well as toe kick lights). It will give you the lightness and coverage you will need.

Michelle Goetz thanked sandradclark
  • Michelle Goetz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, all! I've looked at some with marble design and have been unsuccessful. If I can find marble, I would definitely need ones with the lightest markings as possible. I'm now leaning more on the porcelain subway tiles in off-white/glossy finish.

• PRO
    DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen
    9 years ago

Hi Michelle, the colors of your kitchen would look great with a beige natural stone backsplash like this one: http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2013/06/14/10835755/ledger-stone-kitchen-backsplash-beige.jpg

Good luck!

Michelle Goetz thanked DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen
  • Tiffany Weeks
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of glossy white subway tile! It's classy and will be a beautiful contrast while also giving you lots of freedom with color for your accessories.
    Michelle Goetz thanked Tiffany Weeks
  • Michelle Goetz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

will add that to the list, DreamMaker! thanks!

• miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Today I am all about penny rounds!
  • Michelle Goetz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

miacometlady - I like this too but i'm afraid it'll look too busy. if my countertop was a solid color, I would no doubt go for it! thanks though!

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

I don’t want to rain on DreamMaker’s suggestion, but stacked stone is not great for kitchen backsplashes, if you actually use your kitchen. Grease and splatters of anything from water to sauce end up on and in all of the little uneven ledges so it ends up being high maintenance as you are forever having to wipe it down. Otherwise, dust gets attracted to the greasey build-up and then its not just a vacuum job like it would be if lining a fp or as a focal bedroom wall.

• Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

Lovely kitchen! Definitely go with the classic white subway tile. Don't worry that your granite isn't pure white. White glass does not look white, rather has a very very pale blue undertone.

If you go with cream glass or gray glass, it may look muddy and dark, even with under cabinet lighting. Whatever you get, don't get something that is too busy or little. Your granite has a lot of movement to it and it should be the star in your kitchen and not compete with your backsplash. To brighten things up, use LED strip lights. They are brighter and a cool white.

Michelle Goetz thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

You don’t have a ton of backsplash area to fill, so maybe back-painted glass would be a clean option for you that wouldn’t be too expensive. Can paint the glass any color you like to coordinate perfectly with your granite and lighten up the kitchen. As for lights, I would maybe just suggest getting a couple of lighter colored matching rugs/runners with a large scale pattern to lighten up the floor area and bring in some decor, as opposed to lighting under the cabinets too. Too many lights at floor, counter and top.

• Michelle Goetz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

good point on the stacked stone, adalisa! hadn't thought of back-painted glass but will think about it as well as the toe kick lights. i wasn't sure if it was overkill, and the designer for lights said it was a good idea.

• Michelle Goetz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Barbara!

• Michelle Goetz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alabaster subway tiles - but i'm opting for 4x16 instead of 3x6.

pumice subways in 4x16 instead of 3x6

• Michelle Goetz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thoughts? alabaster w/ dolorean gray grout or pumic w/ bright white or alabaster grout?

• Michelle Goetz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

do note that we are eventually going to remove our existing dark hardwood to the wood look porcelains that is way lighter!

• retroearth
    9 years ago

Alabaster with the gray grout.

• Rusty Empire
    9 years ago

I love the dramatic dark colors you've got going on and worry that the white subway will just look too stark and sterile against the existing look. Have you considered going with a darker tile that ties into the colors of your counter?

http://www.amazon.com/Sheets-Stunning-Contemporary-Shimmering-Ceramic/dp/B00HHI960I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G979VDJ48JK6XK1V2A2

or this really shimmering mother of pearl, which would just gleam at night. Very dramatic!

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Tile-Minibricks-Backsplash-Bathroom/dp/B00KTGG33I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0131YNME4DAXJBPECBR1

Good luck!

• Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

I prefer the pumice color, but I'd avoid bright white grout. I think it may make the gray look muddy. Don't forget to install (which is easy diy) LED strip lights. Love your choices. You won't go wrong either way. Biggest consideration is the existing lighting and how the tile colors will appear.