"Need help figuring out how to utilize my new space!"
Toni Jones
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help designing a good formal living/dining room in our new condo! It has a fireplace as the center of attention in the room, and the room itself is shaped a lot more like a circle than a square. It's very difficult to determine where to put what. I need a good table and chairs that is small enough for my dining area as well!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
I would add a second bookcase, to the left of the fireplace to relieve some of the over-fill on the first one. Position the sofa facing the fireplace and add a coffee table. Keep the dog! Too cute.
January 7, 2013 at 2:57am     
Coby Smit
could you post another pic so that one can see what is opposite the sofa?
January 7, 2013 at 3:57am     
smarty88
Your color scheme is darling and I love how you picked up the green accent in the pillows and drapes... very nice! You definitely understand color!! We need more pictures to see what the other two sides of the room look like, but for now without knowing- the sofa should be positioned across from the fireplace, like olldbobbi suggested, and add an area rug, at least 5X8, or larger in front of the sofa (the front of the sofa should be on the rug). Use your same color sense to pick a rug that plays on the same colors without being overbearing.

That bookcase needs to be moved out of the cramped space and over to the wall where the sofa currently resides; you'll need another one beside it to properly fill up the space- and then search the Houzz website for great bookcase/shelf organization ideas.

The drapes need some redefining- perhaps hanging them a little higher so that they don't droop at the bottom... and/or hang some stiffer brown drapes on an inside rod for room darkening/privacy and tie back or pull together the current drapes for more accent. Right now, they aren't doing anything for the window or the space.

Hang something larger above the fireplace- perhaps a mantel so that you can make changes- you could start with a big picture (bigger than the clock- that is a clock, right?), then the clock can be hung very close to the mantel and add some books, a vase in the same green to create a true focal point (center of attention as you called it). Once you add some chairs, a coffee table, and some lighting, you'll be good to go. :)
January 7, 2013 at 5:14am     
Toni Jones
Thank you all for your amazing suggestions! Unfortunately I'm closing this discussion because I'm having to move out of my condo unexpectedly! So thank you all again for your wonderful suggestions! And I will keep everyone's opinions in mind for the next house!
January 9, 2013 at 9:15pm