Too much brown?
dmom16
This is my family room. I have been questioning whether I have gone too heavy with the browns. It definitely has a cozy feel. Any suggestions as to whether or not I should lighten the accent wall, change the rug, chairs, etc.

Thank you in advance. I'm driving my family crazy!
Interiors International, Inc.
We could use a picture or 2.
January 7, 2013 at 3:23pm   
dmom16
Apologies...here is a photo of the room in the morning.
January 8, 2013 at 5:20am   
janishill
It looks like a lovely, comfy room to me...but if you are questioning it then something is 'off." It does look dark, but at the same time it looks great.

From this angle the one thing I notice is the chair to the left looks like it should come in a little closer to the rug. It could be an optical illution though.

Why not add a little bright green to bring some life into the room? A throw on one of the chairs, a throw pillow, etc. See if that makes the difference. If you are still unhappy paintt he walls a lighter shade of the same color.
January 8, 2013 at 5:30am   
michigammemom
I think your room is very attractive, warm and inviting. My only comment would be that the large, dark chest seems overly large for the room.
January 8, 2013 at 5:35am     
Natalie
Hi---not too much brown at all---it's Gorgeous!!! Tailored (off-white/cream) panels hung to the outside of the windows would break up some of the brown. Pic for inspiration. It's lovely as is though... :)
]
January 8, 2013 at 5:42am   
KJM Design Studio
I agree about the chest. It looks like a nice piece but looms over the rest on those legs... Can you chop them off to bring it more in line with the other furniture? Unless its like a precious antique or something...
January 8, 2013 at 6:14am   
KJM Design Studio
Also, wainscoting painted white and wider trim at the windows, with more of a classic capital and profile, would stand out nicely against the brown wall color.
January 8, 2013 at 6:18am   
Natalie
Hi again---I'm assuming the large cabinet houses the Television-yes-maybe? If you add the panels as I suggested, then the cabinet will look more in scale as currently, it is the tallest thing in the room. Hang a drapery rod as close to your crown moulding as possible and add floor to ceiling panels-that should do it... :) CheerS!
January 8, 2013 at 6:55am   
janishill
I agree with Natalie about adding drapery panels. Hang them high and wide as in the attached illustration.
January 8, 2013 at 7:25am   
dmom16
Thank you to ALL of you for commenting on my first post in Houzz! I wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised by all of the help. I am not certain as to what the proper etiquette is in responding so here goes...

janishill: Thank you for the compliment and lovely idea about adding green into the mix. It definitely gives me something to consider - another option if you will. I am going to play around with a few alternatives with the throws and pillows and maybe even the rug and see how it goes. Thank you too for chiming in about the curtains - love the drawing!

michagamemom: I never thought about the TV cabinet as overwhelming, but it must be as you weren't the only one who mentioned it. Maybe I need to find something smaller for the TV or work with the drape suggestions to change the height of the room. Thank you!

Natalie: Very kind words about the room - it's appreciated. I hadn't thought of the drape option, but it makes perfect sense when you look at the overall room. I was trying for an alternative to drapes in the FR bc we have them in the LR and DR. The pic you sent is a great example of what the room could look like with the curtains hung high. You are correct about the cabinet...hiding the TV for sure. :)

KJM Design Studio: Thank you for the wainscotting suggestions as I just love trim work, but hadn't thought about it around the window, so thank you. As far as the TV chest, I wouldn't want to alter it, so I would probably look for an alternative.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for your reference, the mantle wall color and my dining room are the same color although the DR has wainscotting in bright white all around it so it looks dramatic. The rest of the house (for the most part) is BM Bleeker Beige which is on the 2 other walls in the family room. The only other wall color is BM Quincy Tan which has a warm gold hue in the LR and MBedRm.

Would any of you consider painting the mantle wall the same as the other 2 walls in the room?

Go with different lighting fixtures?

Put a light gray or white shelf or peice in the corner opposite the chairs?

These are all things I have thought of and would love to have your feedback.

Thank you!
January 8, 2013 at 9:39am   
dmom16
Alternate FR view...
January 8, 2013 at 9:41am   
Living room too masculine? Too much brown leather?
We have accumulated pieces over the years that I am...
Too much brown
I just bought a home a month ago and now realize that...
Too much brown
I have too much brown tile in my master bath and confused...
House too much brown
My living room is in the beige to brown tones my foyer...
How would you hang curtains in this room
Hi all, This room has not been updated in almost 15...
Back Splash on unusual wall
I don't know if I should continue the stone behind...
Are all double ovens noisy?
Looking to purchase a KitchenAide double oven. Reviews...
How important are coat closets.
I have two closets I'm thinking of removing from an...