OLLD 1/8
creeser
January 8, 2013 in Other
Good morning everyone!
olldroo
Good morning creeser, I was expecting Bobbi. Just touching base so I get emails tomorrow, meanwhile goodnight, I am going to attempt to get some sleep. You can throw a few snowballs over if you like.
January 8, 2013 at 4:09am     
creeser
We are too far south to get snow roo. Sorry. It'll have to be pine cones or small animals I toss in your direction. *L* G'night!
January 8, 2013 at 4:11am   
michigammemom
olldroo, I could toss some snow your way, but not much. We have just under a foot of snow on the ground, but that is far below normal for this time of year. My geographic area typically gets about 150 inches of snow annually. My eldest son is an avid snowboarder and one year he boarded off our roof into 4 foot drifts below. Welcome TK! Tell us a bit about yourself.
January 8, 2013 at 4:44am   
trasgorshek
Thank you ladies for the welcome! Michigammemom, your son and my daughter sound like they would make a great couple! He boarded off your roof? I love it! She would do it to if we ever got enough snow. Olldroo, we are in the Midwest, flat dap in the middle...Overland Park, Kansas (suburb of Kansas City). I stay up a little late after kids are asleep just to have, I guess what would be called, "me" time. But I have a strange feeling after hubby gets home in July that "me" time will probably be gone.

Bobbi, I know what you mean about aches and pains! I did my ceiling the other day in the 1/2 bath and talk about kinks in the neck...yikes. But yesterday was the toughest after I put up some crown molding. I had to fight and fight with it and I'm still dead just laying here typing. It will be a tough day I have a feeling. Just means instead of a half a pot of coffee, I'm probably looking at 3/4. :). Thank heavens for coffee beans!
January 8, 2013 at 5:39am   
trasgorshek
Oops, I guess that was from 1/7 about painting. I just rolled right into 1/8. I'll catch on, it'll just take a little bit.
January 8, 2013 at 5:45am   
TK, I heard that putting up crown molding is a bear because you have to think backwards, or something. I don't get it! But that's ok, that's definitely something I'd hire out, you're very brave to tackle it yourself.

MM, I predict that by the end of the month you'll be wishing you only had that foot of snow! We've had so much rain here they say we're 150% of normal. Sun is predicted here today and tomorrow and our temp is right at freezing right now.

One reason the painting is such a pain is that I'm painting paneling and the grooves in both directions collect the paint and as soon as I turn my back they run and drip. Agh!

creeser, where've you been??? And whatever happened to the kitty and puppy you were trying to rescue?
January 8, 2013 at 5:46am     
creeser
TK, we roll along from one day to the next, so you are right on mark with commenting from posts from the day before. *L*

bobbi, I've been running hither and yonder. The puppy and kitty duo have disappeared. We followed the puppy up to what appears to be an unlived in house, but we aren't sure. There's never a car there, but there's a ramp to the front door, so possible it's a homebound person. I haven't seen puppy in a while though. Kitty, I saw the other day, curled up on the top step of one of the houses. Whether he was being taken care of by that house or just found a dry spot to nap, I don't know. We are keeping a bag of food in the car for any hungry four legged souls like that.

I want to play in snow. :( ... but I like Southern snows where it's a winter wonderland one day and gone the next.
January 8, 2013 at 5:55am     
I have a question for everyone! Why would someone attempt to sell their house for $200K over market value? We know someone doing this, but not well enough to ask them. It's an average house with a MIL cottage in the back, on the border of a gangland neighborhood. Market value (as determined by the realtor) is $475K, the house is listed for $650K. Why would a realtor even take this on? I'm not understanding this, does anyone have any idea???
January 8, 2013 at 6:02am   
creeser
It makes no sense whatsoever bobbi. Maybe they think the MiL cottage adds the $200K extra?? Like I tell hubby about some of the houses I see around here, you can ask what you want for the, but it doesn't mean you're going to get it. Also, if someone is interested in the house and the appraisal is that much less than the asking price, the bank won't finance.
January 8, 2013 at 6:06am   
trasgorshek
Are they selling it furnished? No way will it appraise for over market value. The only way they will sell it at that is with a cash buyer. Maybe they remodeled drastically?? Still probably won't appraise for their asking $.
January 8, 2013 at 6:08am   
trasgorshek
Why are all the blasted articles on Houzz about organizing this week? Ugghh. I always take this time just to run through them but there's nothing interesting. These make me feel behind and like I need to get busy destroying the house to reorganize....which I probably should,but won't.
January 8, 2013 at 6:12am     
That's what I'm thinking! No buyer in their right mind will buy a house 200K over mkt, no appraiser will value it at that and no lender will loan. I'm pretty sure MIL cottage was included in the mkt value estimate otherwise it would be sold separately, right?
January 8, 2013 at 6:12am   
creeser
TK, good point about selling it furnished. Even with drastic remodeling, it's a matter of overdoing it for the house and neighborhood. You never get your money back if overdo it for the neighborhood.
January 8, 2013 at 6:13am     
creeser
bobbi, yes, unless it was appraised before the cottage was built. That's the only thing I could think of to explain such a dramatic difference.

TK... hate those 'get organized' tips. I am and always will be a clutter disaster. No need to read those articles and guilt myself on top of it.
January 8, 2013 at 6:15am     
trasgorshek
Completely agree!
January 8, 2013 at 6:18am   
Ok, sorry, I got interupted getting R off to work. The house has hardwoods and granite and all the bells and whistles. Six beds/ 4 baths. But at today's prices, and in that neighborhood, even $475K would be top of the market. The realtor must be a friend humoring the seller, knowing full well it's not going to happen, but just letting the seller see for himself, in time. If you walk 1 block in almost any direction you're are right smack dab in gangland. Most of the furniture is overly ornate, with curly carved wood, etc., I wouldn't buy it, it's not my style for sure.

Hey you guys, I love the organizing articles! And the cleaning ones, too, hehehe.
January 8, 2013 at 6:37am     
michigammemom
olldbobbi, you are probably accurate about our snowfall totals. Our local weatherman's tagline is "If you don't like the weather, just wait ten minutes." Folks have predicted a record snowfall this year, so perhaps we are just getting a late start. Sounds like the house you are referencing has been over improved for the neighborhood. I am a firm believer in the old real estate mantra...location, location, location!
January 8, 2013 at 7:56am     
nasmijati
Hi all. It's JANUARY! That is why the store shelves are full of storage bins, boxes, racks, dividers, etc. For all the belongings we acquired during December... Anyway, organizing articles are typical for this month of the year.
Next month, watch the magazine covers. How to lose weight and how to bake a chocolate cherry torte for Valentine's day will be on the front cover of the same magazine!
January 8, 2013 at 8:01am     
MM, I believe the location thing too! And I went back and looked at the listing again. it's now up to $769K, and they removed the market value number. Houses in that area average $450-$500K. I'm thinking the seller may be underwater, you know, when you owe more than it's value.

ez! Yes it is cleaning and organizing month! And linen month, too, I think anyway. Do they have white sales anymore? And I've seen V-Day stuff for sale already, along with St. Pat's Day. Can't they give us a break????
January 8, 2013 at 8:10am   
trasgorshek
Its organizing month but it always makes you feel behind, like you could do more... And I feel like I'm the poster child for OCD already. So now it has me looking at my master closet and what i can do in there. That will definitely be a week long project. Regarding February, well my exercise is the lifting I do with my arm while I eat my Godiva splurge. This week I'm actually canceling my membership to the gym because I haven't been in so long. Oops
January 8, 2013 at 8:35am     
nasmijati
@olldbobbi. I think retailers put things out so early so those who only have a few dollars at the end of every paycheck have more time to purchase little things in advance. Same idea as those folks who buy gifts for birthdays and holidays all year long - spread out the cost over a longer period of time.
January 8, 2013 at 8:39am     
astraea
Bobbi - About the house above market value; some owners are truly delusional, despite what their realtors may tell them. As far as a realtor wanting to take on a listing like that; they get a portion of the commission, even if someone else sells it, and if it gets no interest & the owner won't budge on price, the realtor won't put much effort into it either.

Sellers often underestimate all the information out there for buyers to research .. like market value in a particular area, as well as how long a listing is on the market. Around here, listings are often allowed to expire & are relisted with a new number & days on the market, but a good agent will bring up a property's "history", so a buyer can see how long it's REALLY been on the market.
January 8, 2013 at 8:39am     
TK, you can get the same results with Ben & Jerry's with less effort!

ez, I think you're right. It's just that at times I feel inundated with 'buy me' 'buy me', do you know what I mean?

astraea, I think you're right, this seller is deluional. I also think the MIL cottage was built without permits, if this seller was the builder. If it was already there, then I don't know. The house is located near a higher end zip code, but not close enough!!!
January 8, 2013 at 8:43am   
michigammemom
TG, I sadly have an elliptical and treadmill that are infrequently used as well.
January 8, 2013 at 9:14am     
Yes, I also have a treadmill with very low mileage.....
January 8, 2013 at 9:16am     
Bobbi--
In our neighborhood the people trying to sell their houses for over market value are homeowners who purchased the house at the height of the housing bubble and got trapped when prices went down. The bubble wasn't big here because prices weren't inflated in the area to begin with (as they were on the coasts), but some people paid top dollar at the height for houses that simply can't command those prices now. They are worth maybe $50,000 less. But the homeowners think they can't afford to ask less because they will lose money, and then their house sits on the market for a year while they pay property taxes on it, and then they have to sell it a year later, sometimes for less than market value, because buyers think there must be something wrong with it if it has been on the market for a year untouched. It's foolish, but perhaps understandable. OTOH, sometimes (very rarely) they actually get their asking price if the house is in great shape and the buyer is coming from a coastal or other inflated market and is in a rush to get settled. In that case they see prices that are extremely low for the size and quality of house compared to where they have been living and just slap down the money without actually researching the market thoroughly.
January 8, 2013 at 9:17am     
Feeny, that makes sense. In this case, I have a feeling I know what happened. He bought VERY low in the 90's. When the market bubbled, he took out a bunch of loans against the property to buy more property. Now he's screwed, the greedy gus!
January 8, 2013 at 9:29am     
nasmijati
@olldbobbi. The amount of STUFF on the shelves in stores that is not necessary to survival makes me sad. Especially when I know that people recovering from Hurricane Sandy, or job loss, or war do not have good water, food, shelter, clothing, soap, transportation, and/or medication.
January is a good time to assess what we have, as we put holiday things away. What is excess to our household? Could it be used by someone else? Miscellaneous pots, pans, and dishes are often received gladly by people furnishing their first place away from home. Old towels are always needed at veterinary offices and animal shelters. Excess paperback books (except romance novels) might be appreciated by Operation Paperback for our troops serving far away - even children's books for the soldier to read aloud to his/her children by special e-links. Interior decorating is moving toward more streamlined and less fussy (think about those silly urns of grass in the OLLD House). Less really is more.
January 8, 2013 at 9:34am     
mpoulsom
good afternoon and mornin girls!
Here is the dining room and pantry area.... (love the dog art!)
January 8, 2013 at 9:39am     
michigammemom
What terrific ideas eztia! I'm inspired to donate my old towels and oodles of paperbacks. We all have a tendency to "over feather" our nests.
January 8, 2013 at 9:41am   
michigammemom
MP, I am lovin' that cool pantry and wind fridge!
January 8, 2013 at 9:42am   
mpoulsom
eztia...there are some more silly urns in the dining area as well....look on the left in the third pic, below the floating shelf on the wall! just filling up space in my opinion...
January 8, 2013 at 9:43am   
mpoulsom
michi, i was about to ask you what a wind fridge is.....lol
January 8, 2013 at 9:45am   
Hi girls. My computer is @ the computer doctor and I just got this new phone that is a little smarter than I am so Iam just going to keep up with your convo. Too hard to use thiss keypad
January 8, 2013 at 10:19am     
nasmijati
@MP. The styling of the plants and other natural materials ( is that a tree branch on the table?) in the OLLD House is not my preference. I like bouquets of flowers, but not ones so big that they cover all the counter space in the kitchen!

I do not remember who mentioned a hot tub on the porch for the. OLLD House. I found one with a rain curtain that looks nice...
January 8, 2013 at 11:50am   
olldcan
Hi All, Ooooohh, I love the grey cabinets in the second picture. Only a pantry that looks like that could be in a picture. Love the dog art!!!! I'd be scared for anyone to look in my cupboards, let alone pantry. Unless of course I wanted to knock them out cold. Anyway, when we move in I'll set the grass vase outside with the others. I'm must forewarn you, if were short on kindling for the fireplace or pit, the centrepiece will be the sacrificial lamb.
Are those spittoons under the vase of grass in the 3rd pic....... kiddin but seriously, what the heck are they?
January 8, 2013 at 12:40pm   
mpoulsom
That is a piece of driftwood or something on the table eztia.....and i am wondering why the olld houzz does not have a hot tub...kind of strange. but maybe it doesn't because it is supposed to environmentally green.maybe they think that's more wasted power or something???

so what's everyone's favorite flower, speaking of flower arrangements or fresh-cut flowers?? Mine are tulips. I absolutely love them! And freesia (sp)....oh the fragrance from them. Beautiful!

I'm not a big rose fan, but when I do buy them, I like them to be in a plain vase like this. These are some roses I bought for a friend at the grocery store and stuck in a plain vase. Very pretty!
January 8, 2013 at 12:41pm     
creeser
MP, mine are gardenias. Love the smell and the milky whiteness. Second would be a large magnolia for the same reason.

olldcan... They could be fancy urinals. Or ginger jars full of porcupine fodder!
January 8, 2013 at 12:44pm     
mpoulsom
olldcan, they look like jars/vases that are just sitting on black boxes to me. I'm telling you, they were just filling up space. Maybe they are spittoons....it's in the south! lol!
January 8, 2013 at 12:45pm     
mpoulsom
I love gardenias too creesy! gosh they smell good! and I love the way flower petals feel. They are so velvety or something.
I have 3 gardenias in the yard now that were an addition to the landscape. The one in the back that I planted a year ago (?) is about 4 1/2 to 5 ft tall already! It was just about 2 ft tall I think. I love it. It's behind the firepit, so we are going to have to build the chimney up so that it doesn't get scorched! I also planted a tea olive right beside the back wall of the screened in porch so we can smell that too when out there!
January 8, 2013 at 12:48pm   
olldcan
*L* and ooooh gross all at the same time!!!!
Apparently the grass pads made for pets to have a place to relieve themselves don't work too well unless there pee'd on. It would look nice on a balcony right next to the grass pad.This could be used for collection for sure. Red neck potato salad container. I was also thinking of Bewitched, Geenie in a bottle..........Modern day twist on, the three stooges. Got it, they could be Margarita glasses, single serving in our super sized world.
January 8, 2013 at 12:54pm     
olldcan
I love the smell of lavender and sweet peas but I'm a sucker for an all white lily.
January 8, 2013 at 12:56pm     
mpoulsom
maybe they ARE marguarita containers! we could have hole drilled near the bottom and add spouts for pouring!
January 8, 2013 at 1:01pm     
Or just giant straws!
January 8, 2013 at 1:04pm     
Aw, judy, why'd you go and break your computer?
January 8, 2013 at 1:05pm     
creeser
MP, I LOVE a tea olive. Mom has one that is a good 10 feet tall at the corner of her house. It's just heaven to sit out there by it when it's blooming. Ever hear of a banana shrub? I had one to put out here, but it died in the container over the summer before I got it out. *sigh* I'm thinking of planting a white flower garden out back by the picnic shelter. They are so pretty at night.
January 8, 2013 at 1:12pm   
creeser
bobbi, No telling what judy was doing with that computer when it broke and it's probably best if we don't know. Just sayin'...
January 8, 2013 at 1:13pm     
creeser, I've heard white flower gardens called 'moon gardens'. I had one once, it was beautiful. You should do it!
January 8, 2013 at 1:14pm   
creeser
Thanks for the encouragement bobbi! I think I will. I might do another one that is full of fragrance. Rosemary, lavender, roses, gardenias... anything I can find with a strong scent.
January 8, 2013 at 1:27pm     
Almost everything I planted over the summer has died in my backyard, I think it all froze. I guess I'll have to start again next year.
January 8, 2013 at 1:29pm   
olldcan
I'm betting judyg threw it to the floor over one of the ridiculous posters on here lately.

I've had some all white planters, moss baskets, hanging etc. and I really liked them. White fringed Dahalia was really nice too. Here's some of the white in my yard this past summer.
January 8, 2013 at 1:33pm     
OH, that judy!

olldcan, what is the flower in the last pic? It looks like a spider mum, almost!
January 8, 2013 at 1:37pm     
olldcan
I like succulents and try to find things that are all about texture or really bold shapes. I have quite a few different areas in the yard to plan around with.
January 8, 2013 at 1:39pm     
olldcan
bobbi, I'm pretty sure it was just a white fringed dahalia but maybe it's a mum. I kelp the bulb tag but it's out in my greenhouse pic 1 and 2 of the first set.
January 8, 2013 at 1:42pm     
mpoulsom
olldcan what is the thing in the middle of the yard in the first pic?

and bob, what's your fave flower?
January 8, 2013 at 1:48pm   
michigammemom
My sweet husband picks up flowers about twice a month, but I've asked him to avoid roses as they seem to droop immediately. Have you also noticed that many roses don't seem to have much scent these days?
January 8, 2013 at 1:51pm     
MP, I love spider mums. Hate, hate, hate roses. They're everywhere in our front and backyard. We have giant rose topiaries that make the biggest damn mess you can imagine; we have min-roses in the side yard and in the front. They grow like freakin' weeds! Their roots go for miles, and new bushes pop up in the most unexpected (and unwanted) places!
January 8, 2013 at 1:51pm   
MM, I know with cut tulips, if you insert a pin near the base of the flower they won't droop, I wonder if roses work the same way?
January 8, 2013 at 1:53pm   
MM--do you smash the bottoms of your roses? I've found that if you trim the bottom stems of florists' or grocery store roses and then pound them with a meat tenderizer hammer until they spread open like a fan, they last a full week in water with the flower food in it without their necks drooping, and they actually open properly like garden roses.
January 8, 2013 at 1:54pm   
feeny, where in the world did you come up with that system? I'll bet it works but it sure sounds odd!!!
January 8, 2013 at 1:55pm   
My mother taught that to me the first time a high school boyfriend arrived with a bouquet of roses! She just got out the meat tenderizer and started banging away at them on the chopping board (very unromantic)!
January 8, 2013 at 1:56pm     
olldcan
mp, that's a totally out of control moss basket, friggen thing grew like crazy you can't even see the stand in this pic. I should have taken a pic earlier in the year, I see in the pic I needed to edward scizzor hands that thing!!!

Most of all I enjoy the pond and plantings around it early in the morning when the water is still and Hogie hasn't got in yet.
January 8, 2013 at 2:01pm     
olldcan
feeny, that's sounds violent!!!! Are you just meaning the stem not the base of the rose bud itself, please explain. The only roses I ever beat the hell out of, came from a liquor store parking lot.... don't ask!!!
January 8, 2013 at 2:03pm     
Okay, who needs the HGTV house? Let's all move in with olldcan so we can enjoy that BEAUTIFUL HUGE garden!
January 8, 2013 at 2:04pm     
Yes, just the last 1" of the bottom of the stem! Not the buds! ;-)
Roses have really thick, stiff, impermeable stems (a bit like lilacs and other flowers that grow on tree branches) so you have to get the water in to them or they just wilt.
January 8, 2013 at 2:05pm     
P.S. Agree completely about the lack of scent, MM. Garden roses always smell gorgeous. Florists' roses barely smell at all (and smashing the stem bottoms does not solve that problem). I think it is a bit like tomatoes. The ones you buy at the store have had the taste bred out of them to make them look big and red and shiny; home grown and heirloom ones taste fabulous.
January 8, 2013 at 2:07pm     
mpoulsom
Your grass is to die for olldcan! and of course i want to hear about the liquor store roses! ha!
Now I've worked for a florist in the past....we never beat the stems, but you DO always cut the base of the stem before plopping it in water. By beating it, it probably just lets more water get to the flower. Same principle as cutting them, but more violent! Feeny, are you sure your mom wasn't just frustrated and needed to take it out on something? ;)
January 8, 2013 at 2:11pm     
Well.....possibly. She didn't like that boyfriend very much, come to think of it. But since she did it to all the roses she bought or received or grew too, I suspect it was not just a passive-agressive message. And I promise, it really does work!
January 8, 2013 at 2:13pm     
olldcan
mp, now you have me wanting my yard back. I do have a gardening bug.
Just wondering if you were referring to the Datura which was also in that pic, just slightly behind the moss basket
January 8, 2013 at 2:21pm     
mpoulsom
No, your lawn grass! Fantastic! I love gardening as well! It's kind of a full-time job though. The flowers and other grasses are all gorgeous, but the lawn is perfecto!
January 8, 2013 at 2:30pm   
olldcan
mp, I have this theory that no matter what the flowers, shrubs and trees in your yard are like. It will still look like sh_t if the lawn isn't up to snuff. My lawn is very nice, I have to admit but I do work on it. When we moved here it was just weeds so it's taken years and years to get it like this. It's the envy of the subdivision and everyone comments on how nice it is. Hogie knows never to pee or worse on it, not allowed.
As for those roses.....let me think on that a bit. *L* I could get charged with something I'm sure.

feeny, come on over, all of you. Be sure to grab the 3 Margarita glass from our new OLLD house. I have 2 riding mowers and 1 push and never turn down good help *L* I'm going to try that tip on the roses, I always shy away from them because it ticks me off when the very next day all there heads are facing the floor....whoops needed to edit this last part, sorry
January 8, 2013 at 2:37pm     
olldcan, I'll bite - where do you find the TIME for all this?
January 8, 2013 at 2:49pm   
mpoulsom
POOR ROO! just saw this on the news...they've added another color on the weather map because of the heatwave!

See that deep purple in the middle of this acne-red weather report from Down Under? That right there represents 129.2° F or 54 °C — it's a brand-new shade that the Australian bureau of meteorology was forced to add to its heat index because their country is, you know, kind of on fire.

"The scale has just been increased today and I would anticipate it is because the forecast coming from the bureau's model is showing temperatures in excess of 50 degrees," David Jones, head of the bureau's climate monitoring and prediction unit, told The Sydney Morning Herald, which notes that the previous record high was 50.7°C (123°F), recorded in 1960 at Oodnadatta Airport in the southern part of Australia — right around where the new shades of hot are showing up today.

RELATED: How China Could Stop Environmental Protests; Australia's Marine Parks

To give you an idea of just how uncomfortable this Australian heatwave really is, consider that at just past midnight, it's 95°F in Sydney. Doubly scary are the giant fire risks that come with the heat — risks so severe Australian officials are taking no chances and labeling the warning "catastrophic." "A 'catastrophic' warning carries the risk of significant loss of life and the

anywho....I know how hard you have worked on this lawn! It shows olldcan! great job woman!
January 8, 2013 at 2:51pm     
mpoulsom
here's the HEAT map where roo is sweating! they have added the color purple! oh my!
January 8, 2013 at 2:56pm     
Oh Lordy, that is awful! Poor roo!
January 8, 2013 at 2:57pm     
lisalovesquilts
Hi girls. I hope everyone is well today.
I love gladioli and peonies. I really like a lot of flowers (courtesy of floristry course) and I've only ever cut flowers at an angle with a sharp knife to get more water to them. Roses can be tricky when they get cold they can get air trapped in the stem. You have to cut them as before run them under water and get them in a vase asap.
Olldcan I'm asking about the liquor store car park roses - ya gotta tell me! Your garden is beautiful. I have planted a couple of roses round the front (one is scented- whoo hoo) and occasionally deer come by and eat them! My local florist insists they have a scent (his flowers) but I'm getting nothing. It's a pity.
January 8, 2013 at 2:57pm     
olldcan
Probably the first ten years I lived here spent anywhere from 2-4 hours a day plus 8-10 hours every weekend in the yard. Now between hubby and myself were down to 5-6 hours per week. I use chemicals, and spray for weed control twice a summer. We really have no weeding as strange as that seems, spraying has eliminated that. Out of the 5-6 hours a week 3-4 is cutting lawn with about 2 hours of puttering a week. It take 2-2.5 hours every four days to cut the lawn, every four day is an absolute must as we mulch. We have an underground sprinkler system but barely use it anymore. Easy breezy and never seem like work to me. If you really like to do gardening it doesn't seem like work at all. I never feel I have to find time and usually everything except cutting the lawn is finished before 8am.

That heat is crazy, I'lll have to turn on CNN and start chucking snowballs her way. I thought she said she doesn't have A/C.....oh my, she might be re-thinking that. I just can't imagine that kind if heat!!!!
January 8, 2013 at 3:11pm     
olldroo
My God, you lot are talking up an encyclopaedia again!!!! I will never catch up here. I need something strong this morning to blast my eyelids open, they just won't work. Managed to sleep like a log despite the heat but I feel I need another week.

AND Mendi, you have really blown my mind with your Spiderman artwork!!! You really have to write a book and cash in on your incredible talent.

Bobbi - overpriced homes on the border of gangland???? .......................... maybe they have installed a secret hydroponic system.
January 8, 2013 at 3:12pm     
lisalovesquilts
I always wanted to go to Oz but this extreme weather is one of the things my rain loving husband could never take - that and the giant, really deadly bugs they have. No wonder Roo is puffed out, that heat just sucks the life out of you.
January 8, 2013 at 3:16pm     
mpoulsom
One day maybe I will write something Roo????
If I lived near that little boy, I would go paint something on the wall for that mother. I have actually painted a large spidey on my nephew's wall. A few years back. It is gone now. It was a phase. But Mal and I went out to the midwest for thanksgiving one year and I got roped into to doing it while there. Don't get to see them much, so it was my pleasure. He was pretty cool!
Roo, seriously...do you not have AC?
January 8, 2013 at 3:28pm     
olldroo
OUR HOUSE

Sorry guys, but after drooling over so many rooms, today's collection has me scratching my head.

1. NO DEAD ANIMALS OR PARTS THEREOF!!!!! Sheesh and on the dining table too!!!

2. What is with the sink in the dining area. I can sort of see the sense of having a second cleaning up area away from the food prep area but the base cupboards look quite low making the sink backbreakingly low and the upper cupboards come down way too far for comfort for me. I can see a lot of head banging happening.

3. Cute doggie pics, but what is with that area??? Has a microwave and an undercounter fridge/drinks fridge, but no idea how it relates to anything. Why would you have a microwave somewhere odd.

I am laughing at the 3 white, I assume, stools??? Look like emergency loos to me - and thinking of the maragaritas, white russians, black russians and any other concoction, maybe very well placed.

Oh, creeser, thanks for the offer, but you can keep your small animals, I have more than enough here.
January 8, 2013 at 3:33pm   
mpoulsom
I think it's a pantry for extra THINGS! extra food, drink, bowls, glasses, trays, platters, etc...bottles of wine! and tequila! I don't know! yes, a microwave is in there. You can also store small kitchen appliances in the bottom area, that is hidden with fabric. That kinda stuff! :) and yes a small wine fridge. It can also be used for parties for the catering staff! Ask me how I know!
January 8, 2013 at 3:51pm   
nasmijati
Hi all. Roses for floral arrangements are becoming more and more hybrid for long lasting blooms, and the fragrance disappeared in the process. Also, some of the buds seem to pop off the stems too easily. Often they are pinned with a long pin (remember hat pins?) to kept them on the stem. Smashing the bottom inch of the rose stem with a hammer used to be the "way it was done." Now, it is common to just make a sharp diagonal cut - to get a higher surface area for water. Cut the stems underwater - in the sink or in a bucket. I like to use warm water. Have the vase and water already prepared and rush those roses into the vase so they have as little contact with the air as possible.
Meanwhile, my favorite flower fragrances are jasmine, honeysuckle, lilac, and lavender.
January 8, 2013 at 4:13pm     
ez, I like the fragrance from all those flowers, but not the bees! We get bees so big here it's amazing they can fly. They're called carpenter bees, and they are ginormous!
January 8, 2013 at 4:25pm     
olldroo
This is quite an appropriate house for us isn't it - everything seems to be around partying!!!

mp - definitely an ideas book, that way you don't have to write any flowery words, just ideas and instructions. The things you came up with for doing that mural were amazing, things I would never have thought of. Don't know if I would have had the patience - well not these days, but heaps of people would, they just don't know where to start.

mp, we are bred tough here - seriously we have never really had the need to have AC, we get the sea breeze most days, yesterday the wind was from the west which are very hot inland winds and they stop the easterly sea breezes coming in and temps were pretty even over the whole city, which is very unusual. Sydney covers quite a big area now and when you see temps they are usually for the CBD which although it is on the harbour can be a couple of degrees higher than us, the coastal areas can be similar, within 1 deg of each other, but once you head even slightly towards the west the temps go up and can be 5 - 8 deg hotter.

We considered it when we were planning the renovations but then decided it was a big outlay for about 6 days a year we felt we could desperately do with it. Then our electricity prices started going sky high, ours are around $250 a month now and we are very mindful of what we use, but we hear horror stories of people paying $1,000 a month or more so it really puts you off. The forecast is for a lot more heat to come but Sydney weather is extremely hard to predict so no one really takes much notice until it happens. If I lived out west there would be no option - AC AND a pool!!!

Lisa you should have brought hubby here last summer, it hardly stopped raining and was nowhere near as hot as it should have been. The best part was, we had no flies either and come to think of it we have had hardly any this year. They did say all the rain interrupted their breeding cycle, maybe this is the result. I met some English tourists at the shops one day and apologised to them for it but they were quite happy, said they were used to it and were having heaps of fun anyway. The safest months to come here are August/September and those months are good to do the Red Centre, Northern Territory and Queensland too. Usually by then The Wet season is over for Northern Australia and the Cyclone Season hasn't started. The flies aren't bad and by October the Box Jellyfish (deadly) are starting to infest the waters making swimming, diving and snorkling unsafe. Western Australia and the Centre are abundant with wildflowers in August, in fact in WA many tours are based on just seeing the wildflowers.

Which giant bugs is he worried about??? We have some deadly spiders that you really have to go looking for and only certain weather conditions brings them out and there is anti venom anyway (if you are quick hehehehe), few snakes, that you also have to go looking for. Can't think of anything else.
January 8, 2013 at 4:43pm     
nasmijati
Hmmm. Maybe you would allow me to plant tiger lilies in the cream colored pots that are currently in the OLLD House kitchen? They would look pretty on the edge of the porch.

I tuck lavender into my closet so the bedsheets smell good and help me get to sleep. The other fragrances are easy to purchase in soaps. No bees.
January 8, 2013 at 4:49pm     
olldroo
Finally got to the end here, phew!!! Quite cool here today and my tummy is not being nice but that is what happens when we get these ridiculous temp swings - it is 22 deg now and 20 deg is just too much on the body. Oodnadatta is notorious for it's heat so no one takes much notice of it. Check our the temp chart on Wiki. Read on to the "life in Oodnadatta" too, love the pink canoes bit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oodnadatta

This is also an hilarious site and so Aussie. It was featured on the news last night
http://www.pinkroadhouse.com.au/

We have fire signs up everywhere there is bush here, heaps in our area. They are a semi-circle divided into segments with an arrow that is moved to the appropriate segment each day. The segments range from low to moderate, high, extreme and finish with catastrophic. That was only added recently after the terrible Black Saturday fires in Victoria.
January 8, 2013 at 5:32pm     
nasmijati
@roo. Are you safe?
January 8, 2013 at 7:15pm   
olldroo
Yes eztia, thanks, we are quite safe, no fires around us at all, in fact hardly any fire news at the moment so they must be getting everything under control. The only newsworthy one is a 3 hour drive from us. We still have the southerly blowing and it is actually quite cold. My tummy is definitely not happy, it has been playing up all morning and I am at that horrible point now, where I am hungry but know I'll regret it if I eat.

Going to snuggle under a blanket and watch an old movie. Damned annoying there is so much I could be doing.
January 8, 2013 at 8:38pm     
trasgorshek
Roo, enjoy your movie! Like I always say, "it will still be there unless my good fairy comes today and I didn't know about it". She has yet to show up! Darn her! My crap seems to always wait for me... Which oldie are you watching?
January 8, 2013 at 9:12pm   
creeser
Starting 1/9 with a question.
January 9, 2013 at 3:54am   
olldroo
TK - another example of a post that has taken 21 hours to come through!!!!

I got 10 DVDs from the library the other day and among them was a BBC mini series one called Cranford and the other Return to Cranford. Set in England in 1842. Saw 3 episodes yesterday and it was quite good.

If I ever find my good fairy I'll tell her to give your's the message.
January 9, 2013 at 5:55pm   
New apartment: what to do, what to do!
I have a new apartment and love all my furniture. What...
Can I tile overtop of this tile??
Hi there! Can a different tile or stone be placed overtop...
Which top drawer front should I go with for inset cabinets?
I'm doing raised panel inset cabinets and have to decide...
Need a cheaper version of this light
I need three sconces and I want them to look just like...