New, tiny apartment
bcl5059
Hello Everyone!

I'm moving into a new apartment in Virginia Beach. The whole process has been extremely rushed as I wasn't planning on moving for a while (Thanks, Military!) but I'm have fun with the new place and the new location. However, I AM having trouble with the final layout of my apartment. Specifically, trying to lay out the living room and 'dining room' while including all the essentials (TV, chairs, tables, couches) is proving to be a headache. Maybe I'm having trouble seeing the answer and it's right in front of me - but does anyone have ideas on my floor plan?
How about a small sectional in the corner (backs to the kitch). The tv between the windows and a floating accent chair angling toward the coffee table. For the dining area, a small rectangular table with a bench against the wall and ghost chairs surrounding. Floor lamps in the living area instead of end tables but a coffee table to put your coffee on. What is your design style? Contemporary? Traditional?

0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:22PM
SBerman
How about a nice love seat facing the 12' wall with a console behind (place to throw keys when you walk in etc.) Two club chairs against the 12' wall and you can easily get a TV against the 7' wall (behind stove wall) with a small media credenza unit. The dining room seems tricky but I like Darzy's idea of the bench / table combo.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:28PM
Here is a little different with a bench with a back and two chairs. I like this one (except the plaid) because it feels more like a "lounge" area as well as a dining space.

0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:32PM
bcl5059
Darzy, I really like that idea for the bench with the dining table. It really does create that relaxed 'lounge' feeling. My style is still finding it's roots, but I would say contemporary.

Designer, I forgot to mention that this apartment is on the first floor of a relatively busy complex so I'm trying to avoid having my back to the two windows opposite the 7' wall.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:39PM
This floorplan with kitchen, dining and living all together reminds me of yours. How much seating do you need for entertaining?

0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:40PM
Manon Floreat
I would consider a sectional as well, only I'd place it in the NE corner and have the TV on the 7' wall. I like Darzy's recommendation of ghost chairs. They're very practical for tight quarters. Here's a furniture arrangement to consider.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 4:42PM
GARY FINLEY, ASID
so I take it there is no furniture to work with?
the sectional is the way to go.....danish furniture or Room and Board is rather small scale and could be the way to go here
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 4:48PM
Aja Mazin
Thank you for serving our country!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 4:50PM
bcl5059
There's no furniture as of now - I came down to VB with a fresh slate to work with. I'm looking into danish and like what I see, and will definitely be going with ghost chairs for the small dining room.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 5:10PM
pauli12
On the 7 foot wall of the living room a couch will fit on this wall. You could do the sectional or you could use just a couch and then put a console piece with drawers in it for extra storage on the wall opposite your entryway.
Then a chair will fit if you pull it out some with the back facing the entryway and it will visually enlarge the living room space.
If there is room between the 2 windows a bench or small piece of furniture would work as a foyer piece.
A rectangular table with a small scale will look great in the DR.
It looks good and thanks for your service to our country.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:12PM
If you've just been moved to Virginia Beach, you might well be moved elsewhere next year. So I would buy furniture that will translate well to a new location. I find a sofa and a couple of chairs much more flexible than a sectional, which often ends up facing the wrong way in the next location.

The temptation when buying furniture, is to buy something big and comfy. Well that works fine if you only want 2 chairs in your living room. Instead, I suggest you buy a sofa with skinny arms, and yes, Danish furniture probably fits that bill nicely! Also, be careful about the depth of the sofa as some have really gotten supersized! Chair size is equally important, so look at the sizes I have scrawled on the drawing below.

In your dining area, I'd stay with a 42" round table, even tho you could probably fit in a 48" one. Again, it needs to translate to the next place. Plus card games are easy on a 42" table. Watch the size of your dining chairs. Ghost chairs work well, but other chairs that are no more than 20 x 20" will work for you too.

In the layout I have here, you could certainly move that furniture around to different arrangements, and that's possible because you haven't bought anything too big. Thanks so very much for serving our country. I accompanied my late husband in the Army Medical Service Corp. Thanks again!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:30PM
GARY FINLEY, ASID
oh NO not the ghost chairs.....there is so little opportunity for character here.....use a bent wood frame chair light weight and classic....pleaseeeee
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:31PM
GARY FINLEY, ASID
love the sectional idea, it will create interest at a distance....and offer support to art above. If you go with the layout above, I'd suggest all frame pieces with a rug for certain, whever I would not like the sofa backed to the door
Feng Shui faux pax
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:35PM
BTW, if you like the arc lamp look, there is an ebay seller for only $91. The quality cant be superior. : ( Plus, I've noticed they offer free shipping quite frequently. I've been considering this only to bring out for a lamp over our poker table. : ) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Floor-Arc-Lamp-Marble-Base-Chrome-Finish-/140810297891?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D3761499308271723170%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D200853000530%26
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:43PM
Need help with my new apartment, it's so tiny and I'm so cramped
I posted on Reddit but I'm not getting the help I need...
Need Help in TINY Garage Apartment Kitchen
So me and my husband have lived in this awesome little...
Need help designing a home office in my tiny NYC studio apartment!
I've been working at tall bar / dining table for too...
Down sizing to tiny apartment
I have down sized and and I have a small apartment...
Tiny kitchen in a studio apartment
I'm moving into a new studio apartment soon. The unit...
Please help! How can I add to this room to make it seem more feminine
I started out with these chairs that are black framing...
Any ideas on furniture layout for my long, narrow cottage living room?
My cottage living room is long & narrow – 12 by 24....
Need help for fence stain color
We will soon be having a privacy fence added to our...
Need help with window treatments
I have a window with 3 sections and 2 windows on each...
Painting dilemma
Question, when selecting paint is there a rule of thumb...