Countertop
nbimom
January 9, 2013 in Photo Questions
First of all, your colorful home is warm, friendly and beautiful! My guess is that you are a potter in addition to a painter. Can you please tell me if your countertop is soapstone? If so, how do you like it and what do you do to maintain it? Also, would you happen to know the name/pattern of the soapstone? Is the wooden countertop a maple butcher block? Loved how your home looks lived in...just my style!
Thank you!
kristinnicholas
Just finding this - sorry. The island top is maple and I had a friend make it for me. I bought 2" slabs of maple and he glued them together and sanded them and put a nice chunky border around it. I use it for cutting and like the aged quality of it as I use it.
The counters are made of something called Ashfield Stone which is local to our area. ALso called schist. They are very similar to soapstone.
Both of soapstone and schist are rather soft stone so you can expect some chipping (although not a lot). I love the stone b/c you can put anything down on it and nothing happens.
To care for both the maple top and the stone, I just use mineral oil which you can buy pretty much anywhere. It is clear and not sticky. I pour it on rather generously and using an old towel, I massage it in. It makes the counters a little oily for a couple days (don't put paper on it because it will get oily) but after that, it soaks into both surfaces and just makes it look good. I was told to do this once a month to my stone but not a prayer I can do that. I just do it a couple times a year.
January 27, 2013 at 6:49am     
nbimom
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions, much appreciated!
January 27, 2013 at 9:33am   
Custom cabinets or semi custom?
We are building a house. The custom cabinets our builder...
Ideas
Anyone have advice what color schemes for bedding and...
Need help finishing my living room
We are after a rustic, comfortable feel as we use this...
Paint color and decorative pieces to go with bedspread! Help!!
Hey everyone! I need your help! I bought a new quilt...