Oops! I deleted by mistake. My Living Room needs help
sstrunk
Our living looks like old people live here...tee hee...because we do! The room is very dark without any outside windows. My hubby insists that he is "living" in his recliner, in the living room. I received several great suggestions however when I tried to edit and add brighter pictures...I deleted the post...sorry...did I mention that I am old...lol?

We are considering changing the mantel color from beige to darker brown and unsure whether to replace carpet with wood laminate..any ideas?

Also, I would love to "float" the furniture away from walls but...not sure where to place furniture...ugh!

Any suggestions to update it would be greatly appreciated!
sstrunk
Thanks for all your help and have a Blessed day!
January 9, 2013 at 10:11am   
sstrunk
Thanks, Natalie
January 9, 2013 at 10:15am   
Nancy Hehmann
I would visit some model homes in your area to get ideas and take pictures. They will give you some ideas. Sometimes they even have tags of where the items came from.
You do not say if you are replacing any of the furniture. But, I would change out the area rug to something more contemporary or remove it if there is carpet underneath.
If you can afford hardwoods, they are supposed to add value to your home and a lot of people like them if you ever need to sell. Just do not polish with anything that makes them slick. As people get older we are more prone to fractures.
Cannot tell what is under the curtains; you say no outside windows. They definitely should be taken down or replaced. Roman shades are less country looking. JCPenney.com has Roman shades or you can get custom ones at Lowes or Home Depot. I would use a darker color than white. Also, green and red are not a good look together. Can you relocate the green chair to another room.

Is the coastal theme valuable? If it is mass produced, I would replace it. I would get something more unique from a local artist or look on Etsy.com. Input what you like in the search engine. They have paintings and photography from shop owners all over the US and you can contact them. I have a photography shop on there, nancyhehmann.

If it is in the budget, I would put in a real wood mantel with surrounding wood. You can have a contractor install it. You might want to look someplace that has reclaimed house decor that has been removed. They might have a nice one.
January 9, 2013 at 10:33am   
sstrunk
All great ideas, Nancy...thank you!
We ordered new furniture last year to replace the burgundy but we wouldn't get up and down easy enough so back to the burgundy. The only window looks into another room and roman shades sound like a good idea.
The chair is beige, I guess the flash changed the color and that is my hubby's favorite chair...tee hee! I'll check out your photography site and maybe I can convince "grumpy" to change them...he chose them...ugh!
Thanks again!
January 9, 2013 at 10:49am   
nikitasmom
I would continue the tile concept from the kitchen in replacing the carpet. Replace curtains with ones without ruffles. I don't see where dark brown would enhance the mantle. Perhaps a green to match the chair and again on the frame over the sofa. If you moved the green chair close to the fireplace you might be able to put a console table behind the sofa and lose the endtable, or just put the ottoman in front with a tray on it to act as a coffee table. Another more contempory update would be to switch out the lampshades. Keep us posted. Would love to see the results.
January 9, 2013 at 11:36am     
HI -- First of all I want to know Why you are in such a hurry to be old !! As my husband and I have gotten older we have become more contemporay/modern and alot less cluttered . How far do you want to take this makeover that's what I am wondering ? You don't need that bossy rug on top of the wall to wall carpet . All of your sofas and chairs are so puffy and big , which makes the room look crowded and old . Not the right furniture for floating and too many pieces . Also , you wanting to use brown on the mantel seems old . Try black/charcoal instead , it's more up to date . Because you tried other furniture but reverted back to the old , make me wonder just how willing you are to make the changes needed to better the room.If you do the floors don't use laminate unless you use higher end, -a few extra dollors and you can put in engineered wood floors. Going out and looking at some showhomes and or furniture stores is a good idea. Take your hubby out and look for a new more up to date recliner that is comfortable for him and start from there. Laz-e-boy has them . Look on this website Houzz to see what you like and what's going on for interiors now.There is no "OLD" listed as a style . Just what is old now-a-days anyway ?? I am into the 60 plus set myself and I will kick anyone in the you know what that calls me "OLD" . PS" - If you are going to paint then paint the wall unit the same color as the walls.
January 9, 2013 at 12:32pm   
sstrunk
Thanks lefty 47 you have a lot of good ideas but we have you beat age wise but not style-wise! We special ordered the other furniture and something happened between the showroom and our house and the furniture was so big(over-stuffed) that we had a hard time getting on and off it. Thanks again!
January 9, 2013 at 12:48pm   
2dogssashatess
ps I would declutter, cut back on the number of knick knacks on display, too much furniture in the room, and the furniture is very big and chunky
January 9, 2013 at 2:14pm   
2dogssashatess
ps new plain curtain with no ruffle!
January 9, 2013 at 2:15pm   
The Creative Man
Absolutely move the furniture away from the walls. I call them walls flowers. Try the couch diagonally facing the fireplace to start. Move the rug on the same diagonal. Add one piece at a time. If you don't like it, move it again. There are some great websites for slip covers,such as sure fit, featured ad in Martha's Living this month. Think about one for the couch, adding a subtle pattern and some colorful pillows.
January 9, 2013 at 2:26pm   
pauli12
I agree, the rug is too bossy. Just getting it out will make it look a lot fresher. I agree if you clear out the shelves and then put some brighter art up it will look younger.
I like the burgundy couches.
January 9, 2013 at 2:39pm   
pauli12
oh, and take those curtains down. :-)
January 9, 2013 at 2:39pm   
pauli12
and if you get get some tables in black or white instead of all the brown wooden ones it would look fresher than everything matching.
LL bean has some very fresh painted cottage furniture.
January 9, 2013 at 2:41pm   
shelleyuk
Bit by bit is the way to go with this room in my opinion. Firstly I think you have too much furniture in that room. you'll struggle to float the furniture at the moment because there';s too much of it. I'd remove one of the chairs straight away.

Take the frill off the top of your curtain.

Rug could go for now just to see what a difference it makes to the feeling of space in your room. Have you a coffee table anywhere to put in the centre of the room. I think you'd benefit from having a coffee table rather than all your little lamp tables. Lamps are important (yours need to be larger scale) but your room is a bit bitty at the moment.
March 12, 2014 at 2:17am   
Material for outside deck
Is the man made synthetic material the best for an...
Plain wall
Have added console table and mirror for interest. Any...
Keep peninsula or lop it off? Cabinets to the ceiling?
Doing a minor (!) renovation of tiny kitchen. Don't...
update kitchen
We are buying this house. I need help on how to design...
Need a new look for the living room
I like a mixture of neutrals and bold colors. I don't...