Wainscoting
mflohelp
If you put wainscoting on the walls in the living room and put crown molding up with vaulted ceilings, with an open-ish floor plan, do you have to follow them both through out the house? Maybe excluding bedrooms, except for the master? Wouldn't it look weird for the wainscoting to just stop when the room ends??
creeser
You wouldn't have to follow through with the wainscotting in the whole house as long as you have a good stopping point. I've seen tons of houses where it's only used in the dining room. The crown molding, I would carry throughout the whole house if possible just for the reason that it adds a lot to a room.
January 9, 2013 at 10:38am   
mflohelp
I would have to put it in the rooms that share a common wall, right? Does can it go in the kitchen?
January 9, 2013 at 10:45am   
creeser
Yes, you would have to carry it all the way through with a common wall and yes to the kitchen. And I'd keep that cute baby in the kitchen too. He's just too adorable!
January 9, 2013 at 10:49am   
mflohelp
Lol thank you! That's my 9 month old son, Ian. He loves to help me with everything! Do you chose how high to make it based on different things in the house? For instance, would I use the fire place mantel to mark the line? Would I line it up with the counter in the kitchen? Is it supposed to be uniform all the way through out? There's just so much I want to do to the house! All of this "builders grade" bs is crap!!
January 9, 2013 at 11:07am   
HI - First thing I am going to say is I hate wainscotting ! But if you want some then at lest please don't do the two color thing . It just cuts a room in half. Wainscotting is usually for dining rooms. If you have crown molding then it should be through the house but the wainscotting has to be confined to one area with a starting and stopping wall. You do not have to have wainscotting if you have crown molding. Crown molding is great used just by itself. Because you have an adorable baby I am assuming you are young , and to me wainscotting is not for a youg persons home unless you are into the country look or are very traditional formal. For your big entrance hall wall concider a playful on trend classy wallpaper. Then you could have a narrow long console table with a mirror or painting above and a bench or stool/bench etc. There are ideas for that on Houzz.
January 9, 2013 at 11:32am     
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You have another post here on Houzz. Is this the home that you are trying to rent out? If so, I would limit the wainscott as it is much more likely to get damaged and scuffed up by renters (who notoriously do not take care of property) and is more expensive to paint when the unit changes over to a new renter.
January 9, 2013 at 11:38am     
mflohelp
Hi! I'm not sure what the "two color thing" is. The pic is what I had in mind. Yes I do have a different post on here :) quite a few in fact. We are a military family so money is tight and as mentioned earlier I HATE the builder grade bs. This was our first time buying and we got taken advantage of. Oh well, live and learn :) I hate the set up we have set up in our loving room and I want to change the furniture And mount the tv on that long wall. I also want to take advantage of the "built in" shelves using the space between the studs. Thank you very much for the compliments of my son! I am 22 but my design style is traditional, elegant, classy with a pinch of creative practicality, to take advantage of every inch possible! As in the shelving idea
January 9, 2013 at 1:46pm   
mflohelp
I would love love love and love some more to do the closet in the pic. Our entry closet isn't used and I think for the things in it, there are other places. But I am a writer and have TONS AND TONS of books! Does this look feasible?
January 9, 2013 at 2:15pm   
creeser
The two color thing lefty referred to is like your first photo. White on bottom, yellow on top. Re; the first photo, you know you can easily pull off that picture frame look underneath the wainscotting with half round, right? I like the recessed shelves. Just make sure it's not an outside wall ( because of insulation in the exterior walls and even some interior for soundproofing) and watch for wiring.
January 9, 2013 at 2:21pm   
creeser
In regards to your hall closet, that's absolutely doable. Just add shelves and change the door out to a french door and you're done.
January 9, 2013 at 2:23pm   
mflohelp
Oh I like the two color thing then. But I appreciate the comment :) hypothetically speaking, how would one go about doing the recessed shelving? How do you cut the wall? I know literally nothing about it. But our house isn't very big and using the recessed shelving will allow for less furniture pieces! I'm not a handy-gal, carpenter, builder. I know absolutely nothing about any of this. But I'm a really quick study!
January 9, 2013 at 2:39pm   
mflohelp
The carpet they put in is absolutely crap! And I also don't like the laminent in the kitchen. I would like to put in hard wood floors and maybe change the kitchen. Would this look ok but with black appliances. I see in this pic there is crown molding on the bottom. Would that look ok with wainscoting or no?
January 9, 2013 at 2:43pm   
mflohelp
Would adding a seat in the closet like the pic look better?
January 9, 2013 at 2:44pm   
creeser
Black appliances would look nice with what you have. I actually like them and bought them for our new house with our darker cabinets. That at the bottom of the photo is called the baseboard and it absolutely is ok with wainscoting. Take a look at your photo with the yellow on top and white on the bottom. See the baseboard at the bottom? That's how it would look.

I think the seat in the closet looks neat, but I don't think the doorway on yours closet is as wide as the photo and access to the seat would be tight.

In regards to the recessed shelving, you would use a keyhole saw to cut the sheetrock. Not having done it, I think I would get someone to do this. As simple as it seems, there's still a bit more to it. Cutting the shelf board and sheetrock to fit inside the recessed area, then mudding the sheetrock and sanding it. Corners can be tough to do smoothly. Maybe try floating shelves and see if they work first.

In a lot of spec houses, builders will use lesser quality carpeting / flooring in order to keep the home price low to sell fast. They look good, but once you are in the house, you see they aren't going to last long.
January 10, 2013 at 4:04am   
mflohelp
Wow thanks!! Would I use a general contractor? I want the recessed shelving in multiple rooms. I really like the Acid stain concrete, it kind of looks like marble ish. Amen on the carpet! Within 3 months it started coming apart and it gets vacuumed everyday by the robot :)) by far best investment ever!!
January 10, 2013 at 7:31am   
I agree not to use wainscoting with 8 foot ceilings. But adding crown moldings in the ceiling just in the 'public' areas would be acceptable.

January 10, 2013 at 7:55am   
mflohelp
Where did 8 foot situations come from? I was thinking maybe like 4 foot or something
January 10, 2013 at 8:02am   
creeser
Dy meant your ceilings were 8 ft high and I think he feels they wouldn't look good with wainscoting.

A general contractor, a carpenter, either one could handle putting in your recessed shelves. Maybe even a sheetrock person. I'd ask around and see if anyone has done that in your area to get a recommendation.
January 10, 2013 at 9:17am   
Bedroom
I just redesigned my bedroom but I am not sure if I...
Need help with layout and furnishing living room!
We are moving into a new house and have a blank slate...
Need help to hide this mistake !
Hi, I need an idea to hide this gutter downspout...
need help with choosing a colour to paint wardrobe in master bedroom
I have mirrored bedside tables and a mirored dressing...
Help with my living room
Hi everyone who can help. This is my third time putting...