Need color advice
Chrissy
This is a picture of our dining room in our new house...I was thinking of painting the (currently) green wall under the chair rail a slate or navy blue. Are there any other color suggestions (other than blue) or pretty shades of blue you have used in your house that would look nice in this space? I plan to leave the top tan. My aim is to make it a little more formal than the current green.
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I think it would look better either painted in white or in the same colour as the top of the wall. If you paint it white it will look like nice wainscotting. If you paint it tan, the wall will look simpler and taller. Because your chair rail lines up with your kitchen cabinetry, you're creating a horizontal line across the space and not separating your dining room visually from the kitchen.
January 9, 2013 at 2:19PM   
rluchinski
I agree. The same colour and a great piece of artwork *big* on the wall behind the table.
January 9, 2013 at 8:08PM   
colorkat3
I agree that continuing the top color to the lower half is the best option. The small buffet is a nice pop of color. Add more with new rug and/or upholstered seats, also as stated with a larger scale art on the wall above the buffet. You have a nice space to work with.
January 9, 2013 at 8:20PM   
angiesays
I would go with a deeper darker shade of the upper wall or have a color match done of the green sideboard in the picture. That is a ritcher color than what is currently on the wall and green looks so good with your natural wood.
January 9, 2013 at 8:43PM   
Chrissy
Thanks guys- I agree now that you say I should just use the same color as up top. The buffet isn't ours, we plan on getting one, though it will be wood. I am going to add color with the rug and artwork. I appreciate the help!!
January 16, 2013 at 8:07AM   
michigammemom
Hi Chrissy, another attractive option would be to use a slightly lighter version of your slate or navy above the chair rail for a subtle contrast as shown in the inspiration photo.
January 16, 2013 at 8:20AM   
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Seeking barn door hardware in canada (Vancouver)...
Does anyone know of a supplier offering barn door hardware...
How do I make building a second home affordable?
Need help cutting costs before starting to build a...
Need help! Man trying to design interior = bad idea.
Looking for some help with designing my living room/dining...
foilage for shady areas
I reside in Dallas Texas and my front lawn has two...