Water proofing around soaking tub
zohrehalaghemand
I am remodeling our master bathroom which has a shower and a soaking bath tub. My contractor is not doing any water proofing around the soaking tub and he is planning to install the surrounding marbles directly on the drywall. Is this OK? I thought he should waterproof around the tub but he said it is not necessary.
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
By directly on the drywall, are you speaking of the tub surround which would go up the wall slightly behind or around the tub. Is the tub deck also tiled? What about the front of the tub surround - is it tiled or a removable wooden front? How do the tub and shower interact - meaning is the shower seat an extension of the tub in some way with just a glass panel separating - or matybe it is together in a wet room?

The answer could depend upon layout. If the tub were separate and the tub deck and surround were to be tile, then we would use durock (cement board) for the deck and front/sides of the tub and apply the tile to this. We would not necessarily waterproof unless the tub joined into the shower in some way as there would be no expectation of standing water on the surface. In this case, for the wall surround (or splash as some may call it) we would install the tile directly to a moisture resistant sheetrock.

If the tub deck extends into the shower then we would waterproof.

Hope this helps.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 4:57AM
Nancy Hehmann
My hubby did that and we got loose tiles later and mold. You might want to research it. He now has a barrier he is putting on the floor (had to get new tile) and other things to prevent this. Just my opinion. Ours was a shower though not a soaking tub. I certainly am not an expert. Have to be sure the grout is mold proof too and they do make it.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 5:05AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Absolutely have to waterproof inside a shower, up the walls and out on the bathroom floor outside the shower. Not the same as a stand alone tub.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 5:11AM
Nancy Hehmann
We had a custom built home in Dallas one time that they "forgot" the shower pan. But, they did fix it even though it had been over a year.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 5:21AM
Kala Construction Inc.
It's all Depends upon what was originally there, what stage the shower rebuild is currently in, and what type of tile you plan to install.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 5:48AM
zohrehalaghemand
For remodel, everything is demolished and we have a separate shower area and bathtub cross the room from each other. We are using mosaic tiles on the face, marble on the deck and marble tile on backsplash area. My question was the water proofing of he tub deck, backsplash and the tub face. This is a soaking tub.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 9:09PM
Interiors International, Inc.
The marble should not be on drywall at all. You need a dura-rock base. This is a concrete board used for tile and stone installs. It would not hurt to have water proofing done. You do not need a shower pan type water barrier. Though they make a new product that is a paint on application. It can even be used for shower pans.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 9:18PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
The tub face (vertical surface) should be mounted onto durock. Waterproofing is not necessary.

You say the tub deck is marble. If it is a slab, then no durock is necessary as it would generally be placed on a piece of OSB with framing for support. No waterproofing is necessary. If it is marble tile, then durock should be used as the support (rather than OSB). No waterproofing is necessary. Tub would be caulked where it meets the tub deck.

For the backsplash, it can be mounted onto drywall (we use moisture resistant drywall) for such a small application with no issues. It is no different than a backsplash in a kitchen which is not mounted onto durock. There is no waterproofing necessary.

If you just want to add the waterproofing for an extra measure of security, the tile setter could put in on when he/she does the shower. You're looking at one small tub of waterproofing membrane and some labor - probably $100 to $150 in all.

Sounds like it will be a wonderful room. Enjoy.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:06AM
Updating Colonial House
I am trying to come up with an affordable way to break...
Need help updating living room
We are working on decorating our living room. Looking...
Can you paint tumbled marble backsplash tile?
I just got new granite counters and the backsplash...
Front door of my home, needs new color.
I can not come up with a different color other than...
Please help with my family room design
I have at least 3 dilemmas about this small family...