Partial Covered Deck
Kyla
We are building a bungalow right now - The builder has asked if we want a partial covered deck behind the Great Room. The space to be covered is 17 feet (running along the living room) and only comes out 7 feet. The covered part will be long and narrow.
What kind of deck would work?? A 2 tiered deck? Or a full size one with just part of it covered? We really need some ideas, thanks so much.
mark_a_holiday
I have a similar layout with both a covered and two tiered deck. Assuming that door I see in the center of your picture is the only entry from these two rooms to the deck, I would cover that area that measures 7' 4" off your great room. We live in Ohio and have a 13' by 13' covered section of deck off our LR that allows us to sit outside in the shade, in the rain (no wind), etc. We also enclosed this section with mosquito netting curtains this year, allowing us to enjoy the space late into the evenings while opening the curtains when not necessary. At 7 by 17 you should have some room for some furniture where you can sit and enjoy the view/coffee and paper in the am/sundowners in the pm.

As far as the two tiered design, you might go with a lower tier everywhere that is not covered, or go with one tier straight off the great room that leads down to a lower tier off the eating area and wherever that leads. One of the reasons for a lower tier might be to see out of the house and overtop any patio furniture you might place out there. Or, you could get really creative and two or three tier step it (1 step at a time) at angle from your covered portion in a counter-clockwise direction toward a lower section off the Eating Area. Just some thoughts, good luck!
January 10, 2013 at 6:09pm     
Kyla
Great ideas. I can picture what you are suggesting. Thank you so much!
January 10, 2013 at 6:22pm   
Paint dresser?
I just put an old dresser in my four year old's room....
Dare I Update Vertical Blinds?
Downsizing to a MCM ranch that we are renovation/remodeling...
Transition from one hardwood to another
When we built our house, we installed Brazilian Cherry...
Paint color?
Our guest bath room has a gray marble floor creamy...