can I get rid of knob "ghost" on Maple cabinets
Rio Brewster
I have 10 year-old maple cabinets that I think have a light honey stain on them. I want to replace the mushroom knobs with thin, elegant pulls, but there's a "ring" where the knobs were that's a shade lighter.

Is this a function of the wood darkening with exposure? If so, will the color eventually even out? Or would there always be this patch of lighter wood where the knob once was?
Yes, no, probably. Yes it's the wood darkening over time, I doubt if it will even out, and probably there will be a lighter patch where the knob was.

One thing you could try is buy a stain stick in the same or darker color that your cabinets are now. Stain sticks are for touching up small knicks and dings in the cabinets, it should work for your ghost, too. You can usually find them in the paint section of big box hardware stores.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 3:17PM
gullybansal
With a good quality cabinetry like maple it may be worth removing the doors and taking them to be professionally refinished. It's highly unlikely this will even out it self. If you dont want to go to hat effort there are wax sticks you can buy that furniture refurbishes use which 'may' do the trick in evening it out but it will be trial and error in order to get it right.
   January 10, 2013 at 3:25PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Formby's furniture products make a product to fix this problem. Give them a search and I'm sure you will find a somewhat easy fix.
   January 10, 2013 at 3:25PM
I forgot about Formby's! I haven't used those products for years!....Bobbi
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 3:29PM
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
Some could be oils from fingers. You can try odorless mineral spirits to break up the oil. Be careful not to rub too hard as it can cause burnishing.
   January 10, 2013 at 3:41PM
Custom Home Planning Center
Find a compatible back plate for the knob that covers the area in question.
   January 10, 2013 at 3:48PM
Rio Brewster
No backplate, I'm trying to replace the knobs with a thin pull. (The first one below from Laurey) It's probably not worth having the doors refinished, as I've already purchased 31 pulls that hide the problem and it's too late to return them.

I just stumbled across this one and kind of fell in love with it. I'll try Formby's.

Anyone know where I can sell 31 brand new pulls (the second one below). The problem with the ones I have is that I bought knobs for the drawers without sampling them first and they are too small, so I was looking for an alternative for the drawers when I stumbled on the Laurey pull.

The moral - once you buy something STOP SHOPPING!
   January 11, 2013 at 5:22AM
Gabberts Design Studio
Try selling the pulls on craigslist
   January 11, 2013 at 5:31AM
That second pull is cool! How much do you want for them? And how big is it?
   January 11, 2013 at 5:33AM
Rio Brewster
Thanks OB -

I may still be using them if I can't solve the ghosting problem without having to refinish the doors. I love the elegant art nouveau look of the first one and the bronzey finish goes a bit better with everything else I have going on but having a little circle at the bottom of each pull is kind of a deal killer.

The Amerock pulls are 3" CTC so probably 4+ overall. The knobs pictured below (8 of the 31 pc are knobs) are about 1" at the widest point. I paid $7+ for the big pulls.

They are solid and heavy and they have more detailing than you can see in the picture. They are really nice. If I do sell them I will just try to cover the costs of the replacements, which are less expensive.

I might use the small pulls below intended for the drawers for the tiny cabinets above the microwave and fridge and buy 4 more of the big pulls and put them horizontal on the drawer fronts. Or I found an inexpensive large swoopy cup pull that I might use for the drawers.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 1:32PM
Help I need some ideas for my very small and ugly kitchen. I am on a t
I want to keep my appliances but need ideas for cabinets...
Need Help For My Small Condo Living Room!
I found a small sectional to fit the room, but I can't...
Exterior paint colors? Remove or paint brick?
We will be selling soon and want to paint our house...
need info about spot lights over dining room table
We are planning new open kitchen/dining area and will...