Love the backsplash! How did you wrap it on the side walls of the vanity?
asmoorehouse
January 10, 2013 in Photo Questions
We have a small vanity (36") and want to do something similar to what you've done here (just the one sink, no middle). The vanity will be up against the wall to the right but not to the left, to accommodate the shower door opening. Need some design help! Do you think it would look better to subway tile up the wall to a chair rail and have that be the backsplash or do you think a marble vanity/backsplash looks best? Thank you!
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
I'm not sure what you mean by wrapping the backsplash on the side walls. The backsplash is only on the wall behind the sink and faucet. Without seeing your room, I really can't give you good advice.
Can you post a picture?
January 10, 2013 at 8:56PM   
asmoorehouse
Yes, sorry. I'm not even sure I know what questions to ask at this point... a little stuck, so thank you for taking the time to follow-up. I've attached 2 pictures of how the bathroom looks now. We are going to gut it and start over. The pedestal will be replaced by a custom cabinet (just like yours! thank you!... single door on left, 3 drawers, furniture feet), flush to the wall at the right but exposed to the left to allow for the opening of the shower door. As you can see this is a tight space. The wall to the right of the vanity has a window and then the final wall opposite the vanity has a commode. We are planning on using Carrara hex tile on the floors of the bathroom and shower and then a Carrara slab for the vanity countertop and bench in shower. The shower will be floor to ceiling (and ceiling) in white subway tile. Fixtures will be polished nickel.
So, really my question relates to how to finish the walls of the bathroom. We are thinking about either (1) subway tile up to a chair rail all the way around, allowing this to be the vanity's backsplash. If we did this, we'd probably have a wall-to-wall mirror above the vanity to give the room a larger feel. In my mind, all that tile feels cold in such a tight space. OR (2) no subway tile, Carrara marble backsplash, paint (probably a grayish neutral). With this choice, I'm not exactly sure what sort of mirror to chose.
So, that's probably way more detail than you wanted!!! Do you have any suggestions? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Allison
January 11, 2013 at 1:59PM   
asmoorehouse
wall for vanity
January 11, 2013 at 2:00PM   
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
In such a small bathroom, I'd do the walls in the same subway tile as the shower. It will give the room a nice consistent flow. Having too many finishes in a small space will be too distracting. I like the idea of the Carrara hex tile on all the flooring, including the shower floor. Having the subway tile at about a 42" height with a chair rail will look very simple and appropriate. I wouldn't do a wall-to-wall mirror, though, it looks kind of dated. Do a mirror with a frame around it--mine are the fronts of the medicine cabinets which are built in to the wall. If the chair rail is higher than you'd like the mirror, just drop it down around the mirror, with maybe a small slab of Carrara as a shelf above the sink?
Does that help?
January 11, 2013 at 6:31PM   
asmoorehouse
Yes - thank you! So helpful! We're sold on the subway tile and finding a nice framed mirror. Do you think it would look strange to have the subway tile stop ~2 inches below the window sill? Would you paint the vanity any other color than white seeing as it's up against the white tile? I do love the color that you used for that vanity.
Any favorite neutral paints :-)
THANK YOU! Wish you were in our city!
January 11, 2013 at 6:58PM   
selh05
LOVE the medicine cabinets built in look! Will you share the manufacturer?
January 25, 2013 at 6:14AM   
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
Asmoorehouse, regarding the subway tile stopping 2 inches below the window sill, I wouldn't recommend that--then you have a little strip of what? Sheetrock? Then you'd have to paint it. I'd do the subway tile. As far as the vanity color, it could look nice in a contrasting color, like a muted blue/green, but then you're stuck with that color scheme forever. I like white personally because you can add color with wall paint, towels, window treatments, accessories, and change it easily. Keep in mind that when you use white, you need to make sure that the whites will blend. Before you make your final selections, look at the tiles, vanity, sinks, toilet, etc., all together in the room, and make sure that the whites go together. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of variations of white.

Favorite neutral paints: I use Ben Moore's Linen White, Dove White, a lot, but it all depends on the project.

Re: selh05: I'm not sure of the manufacturer of the medicine cabinets--my contractor supplied them. I requested wood interiors with solid thick glass adjustable shelves. He also had the mirrored doors made and fabricated all the wood trim himself on site.
January 25, 2013 at 2:36PM   
basia21usa
what is the make of the subway tile. i think i am in love. i have been searching for 2 yrs for the perfect tile for my small main bath
February 9, 2013 at 12:37PM     
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
The subway tile in the shower is from Waterworks, just a plain 3" x 6" tile.

The backsplash tile for the vanity area is 1" x 2" calacatta marble. It is actually taken from the floor sheets (basketweave) since I had a lot left over and didn't know what I wanted for the backsplash either! I asked the tile setter if he could set the 1" x 2"s in a running bond pattern and he obliged. I had to pay extra for the labor since he had to set each tile individually. I didn't want to repeat the basketweave pattern on the backsplash because I thought it looked like an afterthought, too matchy-matchy. You probably could find sheets in the running bond pattern if you looked around. The marble tiles were also from Waterworks.

I think it looks great--close enough to repeat the marble but not a perfect copy of the floor.
February 9, 2013 at 12:59PM   
Nancy
Love what you did Diana this is what I've chosen for a 6x6 powder room ,called pearl marble (calcutta and carrera 2x6 subway up to 42" with chair rail and vase molding . husband prefers a 4"strip of the1x2 mosaic and pencil, do you think it would be too busy or only do the subway to chair rail ? cabinet white, walls grey blue and floor grey brown plank . Thank you !
July 17, 2013 at 7:08AM   
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
I like having the smaller mosaics above the subway tile; I think it adds a nice texture and interest, definitely not too busy. I love your choices!
July 17, 2013 at 3:54PM   
honey0425
Nancy, is that a sample plank of your wood flooring choice on the right? If yes, do you mind sharing it's details? I love your choices too!
October 7, 2013 at 9:09AM   
flooring
wire-scraped Kilimanjaro
Plaster or Drywall
A fire damaged the second floor of my 1903 home. All...
Please help with master bedroom on a BUDGET!
I posted na week or so ago but think in my post was...
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...
drapes
How bad would drapes be that stopped right above a...