I love the stain the wood is finished with...a great alternative to white! Can you tell me what it is?
Joanna Dauk
January 11, 2013 in Photo Questions
My husband won't let me paint his old 30 yr old bedroom set white for our little girl...i'm not sure what kind of wood it is..it has a few large knots in it. But it's a great solid piece and want to stain it light like this!
RN Interior Design
Hi Joanna! This piece was not painted. It's the Marais dresser from Restoration Hardware in the distressed linen. Your best bet is to order a wood sample in that finish and try to match it. I hope that helps :) good luck!
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 11:45AM
hgoodson
It's really easy to create this antiquing look. I've done several pieces by painting entire furniture a light base coat with warm off-whites, light grays and earthy tones. Once the paint has dried, working piece by piece, separately, rub a wood stain (liquid, not gel) over the paint with a sponge brush adequate to the size of the piece (smaller brushes for drawers, and a fat brush for sides and tops). Only let the stain sit on the paint for about 30 seconds to 1 minute and rub it off with a jersey knit rag or old t-shirt. The stain darkens and adds subtle texture to the paint. For this exact look, I would use an off-white paint and an english oak stain to keep it light It's really easy and this effect may be a great compromise for you wanting a painted look and your husband wanting a wood look. Good luck and congrats! Here is a photo of a dresser I recently did using medium grey paint and then a dark walnut stain.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 9:12PM
Joanna Dauk
Wow! Thank you both for your comments and advice! This dresser is gorgeous as well!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 7:48AM
Joanna Dauk
Just another question i have please! Am I to assume I need to completely strip the existing stain and sand it as well before I apply the light coat of paint?
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 1:30PM
hgoodson
Hi Joanna! Stripping furniture takes sooo much work and the chemicals are overbearingly strong! I would invest in a palm power sander ($15), and the sand paper that specifically attaches to it. Sand all surface pieces with a 120 to 180 to expose crevices that primer will adhere to. Drawer facings can be done with a 180 to 220 grit which is softer. After sanding, wipe all surfaces clean I sawdust will texture the paint (yuck!). Then prime the whole piece. I use Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer for all surfaces, and did 2 - 3 coats on the pictured dresser. This stuff is thick and it's amazing how paint grips to it afterwards, and it dries fairly fast. Without priming paint will peal around the drawers exposing the original wood. After the primer is dry, paint 2 - 3 coats of the base color that will peak through the stain. It looks like the stain in the nursery dresser from your original picture is "buffed" rather than wiped off with a rag (if that makes sense?). I would foam brush stain on in small sections and then do a "wax-on/ wax-off motion" in circular patterns to remove the stain and give it that soft, cloud like finish. Also, something to keep in mind is minimizing brush strokes in paint. Stain seems to streak into any apparent brush marks (Behr does this more, and Benjamin Moore leaves virtually none). Maybe roll on the paint and smooth areas with a foam brush as you go along? Sorry for the lengthy reply, but let me know if you have any more questions!
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:45PM
Joanna Dauk
Okay....so if I understand correctly,..after sanding and cleaning, I'll need to prime 2-3 coats, then paint 2-3 coats of paint,...then stain only one coat. It seems like there will be a lot of coats for the stain to penetrate through? I've never done this before....but 6 coats of primer and paint first will be hard to convince my hubby! lol! Is this primer you mentioned white, or clear? And I'm thinking you mean 2-3 really light coats of paint? The dresser you have pictured doesn't look really grey at all,..so did you just apply one coat of paint, then stain? Thank you so very much for the lengthy reply...the lengthier the better! lol! I'd hate to screw this up!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 7:22AM
philliplisa
Where did you get the amazing footstool?
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 10:16PM
RN Interior Design
It was Target but no longer available. Thanks.
0 Likes   September 28, 2013 at 8:35AM
Need help for my kitchen...almond melamine and honey oak cupboards!
Hello, So I am finally getting around to doing something...
spitfirevc
Need help finding another purpose for my headboard!
I built this headboard after seeing the professional...
sscagnoli
Alternate for cherry wood cabinets?
I like the look of cherry wood cabinets but am wondering...
Gail Recker
Omg I just bought a couch and I want to return it but can't. Help me m
Room is across from kitchen at the entrance of the...
minnows
New grand living room
Would like the sliding 2 redone barn doors for archway...
Tracy Alexander