Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curacaoblue

Suggestions for my living room

curacaoblue
11 years ago
We are looking for suggestions on how to decorate the living room (and eventually adjoining kitchen). Furniture is new and wreath will be taken down this week. Please help, we are stuck..

Comments (15)

• curacaoblue
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    More pics of current colors (and cat lol)
  • thislittlehouse
    11 years ago
    1. Repaint the dark blue wall - your furnishings and floor have warm tones and that blue is very cold.

2. Rotate the sectional so the back of it is where the TV is currently. You will get the benefit from those nice windows that way.

3. Get a new (probably white or light timber) TV console to place to the left or right of the fireplace. (the fireplace is GORGEOUS!) It could also go on the opposite wall, between the windows. Where it is currently it would get glare from the windows.

4. Buy a rug that has your couch colour in it in small amounts. The main colour of the rug you would then draw out in cushions, ornaments, art etc. Perhaps a softer/ warmer grey-blue? This would be your accent colour.

5. Consider also buying a nice arm chair or 2 (in the accent colour) to place across from the sectional.

Elise :)
  • curacaoblue
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you, I should note that we don't have glare on our tv because the light only comes in directly early in the morning. Most of the day it is above the house or on the other side
  • curacaoblue
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Are there any other suggestions that don't involve moving furniture? This is a pic of the entry to the room. It makes moving the sectional impossible. Also what to do for drapes? I love our furniture but other than that I'm really clueless
  • PRO
    Jonathan Hress Design
    11 years ago
    Floor to ceiling drapery panels. It takes alot of yardage. If it is not in the budget, Don't skimp. Better to leave bare than do something on the cheap.
  • themarieproject
    11 years ago
    Add an area rug you can get some deeper blues on the floor (overstock has great prices!) repaint whole room a lovely grey blue. Move TV to over fire place or next to it... Buy two barrel chairs and place across from sofa where TV currently is (pulled away from wall! Or agains wall with small table in the middle) also your local craigslist may have great vintage barrel chairs and its often cheaper to buy vintage and re-paint or reupholster. (I attached photos of vintage chairs I found that I think would look nice minus the colors of them.) hope this helps!
  • curacaoblue
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Budget is not an issue, my only concern with long curtains is my cats who have claws drapes in the past. I haven't see any contemporary looking shorter curtains or valances lately though.
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 years ago
    Personally, I would prefer tailored roman shades on each window, maybe in a solid, natural color (linen) with a color banding. This will soften the area without the long draperies. A have never been a fan of large cornices without drapery. I would also trim out the windows to add more interest. Crown molding would also add some continuity to the area. I would also consider the same window treatment in the dining area. While I'm at it, I would paint the entire area the same color, including the kitchen. I like the idea of a gray tone also, but not too dark, but a solid mid tone. But choose the color last after you have selected all your furnishings. The living rm area needs a grand rug, a great print, maybe a large print, or geometric (trellis) pattern. I too would leave the sofa in the current arrangement, but would purchase a large cabinet for the TV..it may have shelves for books, etc. Two high back, grand chairs flanking the fireplace for conversation. If you cannot do a rug because of the cat, then maybe these chairs could have a great pattern on them. After you do this, choose your paint colors, always buy samples or qts. paint 2 coats on 2'x3' posterboards with each choice and hold them against each wall and look at them at night as well. Color is all about light. One last thing, I would purchase a different dining set, something with a little more substance.
  • Sue Ann Stevens
    11 years ago
    I would consider pulling the sectional away from the windows a bit and get a longer sofa table to go between the sectional and windows for a place for task lamps or lighting. Anchor the arrangement with a large area rug partially underneath the sectional. This is where you can pull the blue back in or consider repainting based on the rug you find as it is easier to match paint to a rug than vice versa. Ceiling to floor drapery panels. Corner the TV or place to the left of the fireplace. A credenza or sofa table with an overstuffed chair on the current TV wall with lamps and artwork and one or two chairs on either one side or both. I would use the pretty demilune table elsewhere as it is a little small for the sectional.
  • curacaoblue
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We chose the blue because its the same as what we have in the formal dining room and you can see it from the living room. The intent was to have light grey walls but they came out white. I will be painting the kitchen, replacing the table, and curtains. This is what came with the house and the table is old. We don't know what to do with the kitchen either and want it to flow from the living room since they are open to each other. We while the cabinets and counter in the kitchen but will get rid of everything else. Here are some other pics. The area rug is a must for the living room. Was thinking blue and greys but want to match everything together. It seemed simple at first but quickly became overwhelming.
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 years ago
    In the dining room, I would put a blue & white patterned fabric on the chair seats also a great rug. Paint that same blue on the lower portions of the ceiling, not inside the tray. It needs a little drama. The room looks unfinished. In the kitchen if the knobs are a brushed nickel then replace the knobs on the doors with long sleek handles in the same metal. In the living room area, for a rug, I think you need more color & pattern. What other colors do you like besides blue & grey, in other words could you choose accent colors that would pop. The entire area, paint in a color similar to your sectional but lighter..but not that much lighter, dark whites are not really color. Pull the sectional a little closer to the dining area..a little further from the fireplace. Replace living room tables. Also the ottoman with one that has a flat top that can also be used as a coffee table. Every seat should always have a place to set a glass.
  • curacaoblue
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    you have all been so gracious to give such great ideas! i llike the idea of green especially since we already have a lot of it in an adjoining room but I'm open to other ideas. I like color and bold patterns and artwork. I'm just holding back on picking something until we have more off master plan. We were thinking of green in the kitchen but not sure if that will clash. This is a pic of the adjoining room with green where we have cocktails.
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    11 years ago
    what about adding some nice drapes? For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    I would recommend Roman Shades . They would really give you the punch of color you need for the room and really give you a more finished look.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/roman-blinds.html