Built in bookcases
maloney52
I want to have some custom bookcases built. Should I paint just this wall darker and do white bookcases?
calikym
Room has a dark look already. I wouldn't add more dark to it.
January 12, 2013 at 7:29am   
Sandi
I would do white and maybe paint the mantel white as well.
January 12, 2013 at 7:32am   
grevillea
Maybe think about the overall feel and use you want from the room? Cosy and intimate for watching TV by firelight then i think don't be afraid to go dark. Bright white shelves might detract from that beautiful stone fireplace. How about using some raw timber to fit in with the natural feel of stone and leather?
January 12, 2013 at 7:32am     
I am voting for white bookcases as well.

January 12, 2013 at 7:42am     
Scott Design, Inc.
First of all, I'm assuming the fireplace projects into the room at least 12"-15" because the fireplace needs to stand forward of the bookcases. (Bookcases can be as shallow as 10" and hold 95% of book sizes.) I suggest you create sheetrock alcoves (no wood trim) right and left of fireplace that have 6-8" legs and a header that goes all the way to the ceiling and drops 12" and down to the floor where the bottom of the bottom 3" shelf is level with the baseboard. Place 3" thick shelves at random heights. You may want to put vertical 3" dividers at various places to create display boxes.

This approach is simple yet robust enough to work well with the weight of the fireplace and not compete with its materials. It's just a continuation of the room structure that embraces your main focal point. You can also run lighting behind a 3" thick looking shelf but it is really a 1" shelf with a 3" front trim. You run the mini light track and then you click in the bulbs over the specific item you want to illuminate.
January 12, 2013 at 10:54am   
HELP! 50 shades of gray paint dilemma!
We are refinishing our basement family room. I used...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Cottage kitchen colour quandary
Hello everyone, I"m uploading a photo of newly-installed...
Too much wood?!?
We close on our home next week. I see great potential...
An odd place for an ugly door, how can I camouflage it?
This door in my master leads onto the hot tub deck,...