I need help coordinating my newly remodled kitchen with my breakfast nook
maggiemae0552
My kitchen has beige granite & cream marble backsplash. Light maple cabinets. my breakfast area has lots of light and windows. The problem is that below my chair rail is wallpaper in a very, very small red check. i have bronze, blues & greens in the kitchen. is there any way I can coordinate the two rooms?
Changing that wallpaper is a minor problem. Take your little kitchen rug and head to the wallpaper store to find a match.
January 12, 2013 at 5:28pm   
Have you attempted to paint over the paper. If might work. Can't hurt to try. Sometimes it is an easy fix.
January 12, 2013 at 6:50pm   
maggiemae0552
think it might be easier to buy new rugs. love the pattern on the rugs but rest of my house is beige, rosy reds and celery greens (not christmasy reds and greens), i though that since the rug had beige and green in it that i could add some touches to the nook and it would flow. i was planning on adding a tan tie up valances to the bay windows and seagrass shades on my chandelier with touches of blackin the room. see attached pic
January 13, 2013 at 5:12am   
bonnielynn75
Yes, just change up the rug!
January 13, 2013 at 5:29am   
maggiemae0552
hard to find cute rugs. Thought i would find something right away but havent had any luck. So i will continue to hunt!
January 13, 2013 at 12:06pm     
My painter says that 90% of the time it's easy to paint over wallpaper if you put a primer coat of Zinger on first. Then I'd paint it the same color as the rest of the wall. I would swap out the kitchen rug for a neutral seagrass one.
January 13, 2013 at 12:23pm   
maggiemae0552
what about beadboard in place of the wall paper? Also, I have to change out the pouffy curtains and was thinking of plain dark tan roll up curtains with black ties. what do u think of that? I love seagrass rugs but was afraid they would be hard to keep clean in a busy kitchen. I thought about bamboo roll up blinds but that would limit my view of my yard. if i do bead board i guess i will take my rug to the paint store and match up the blue...my hubby is begging me to keep the red check wallpaper. he is so cute. :)
January 13, 2013 at 12:40pm   
Great idea, maggiemae, about the beadboard! I also like your idea of tan stagecoach shades with black ties. I would do the beadboard in white to match your trim. Husbands are cute fellas, aren't they. We listen to them sometimes about as well as they listen to us.
January 13, 2013 at 1:10pm   
maggiemae0552
I really appreciate your feedback. It helps so much to get an unbiased opinion. would you look at the original post at the pic of the kitchen rug, should i try to bring that blue or brown into the breakfast area?
January 13, 2013 at 1:25pm   
I would work the blue/brown into it. Beadboard is one of my favorites!
January 13, 2013 at 4:56pm   
No, if anything, you should bring your breakfast room colors into your kitchen, but only minimally as in dish towels. Lose the rug. Keep buying seagrass rugs if you need a rug in the kitchen. I don't think they're expensive.
January 13, 2013 at 7:30pm   
maggiemae0552
well, here is the final product. I love the wall color and I m considering painting above the wainscoting this same green!
March 12, 2013 at 3:40pm     
maggiemae0552
above the wainscoting in the dining room - not in the kitchen! Thanks for your feed back!
March 12, 2013 at 3:41pm   
It's looking wonderful. One tiny suggestion: move the chairs around the table just slightly so that their backs face a corner not a wall. I think you'll have more space that way. You'll need to rotate the table slightly also for leg room, but it stays where it is, right under the chandelier.
March 12, 2013 at 3:48pm   
maggiemae0552
Nice idea! Thanks :) I have another discussion going on about how to style my antique sideboard. Would u mind looking at that and giving me your suggestions? I will attach a picture
March 12, 2013 at 5:17pm   
maggiemae, From photo 4, I would remove the vase with stems entirely. Leave clock where it it and then move the lamp to left side. Also remove vase on floor.
March 12, 2013 at 5:31pm   
maggiemae0552
I moved the vase from the floor. so I should style it like pic 3 minus the vase?
March 12, 2013 at 5:51pm   
No, like photo 4, but minus the vase. No vase. Lamp on left, clock in middle and photos and silhouette on right where they are.
March 12, 2013 at 7:03pm   
maggiemae0552
i fixed it - in pic 4, I removed the vase & replaced it with the lamp...You're good! :) Now on to the next room!!! :)
March 13, 2013 at 3:51am   
Warner Decor
Maybie try an area rug that incorporates alll of the colors:
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/7/spiral-mosaic-rug/
February 14, 2014 at 2:57pm   
peginvalpo
Another old post! Is Houzz desperate for dilemmas?
February 14, 2014 at 3:57pm   
I need help with the blank wall of my newly redecorated kitchen
Debating between custom bulletin board for black and...
need help picking out paint color for my new remodled kitchen
Has maple cabinets in cinnamon color, counter top is...
Need help for my breakfast nook
Can you help me decide as to whether to put blinded...
Need help finding the right pendant for my breakfast nook
Although the attached pendant has an industrial look,...
Need help with remodeling kitchen with breakfast nook
If we run cabinets along back wall, will the edge cabinet...
Best Light Gray paint for a kitchen
Not too brown, not too blue, not too silvery, not too...
Help!!!!
How can we go about making this house less ugly.Of...
What colour should I paint the door
I want to paint my door. The stucco is green and all...
The Painters are coming, The painters are coming!!! Help
Should I keep the yellow with the black trim( which...