Living room table dilemma!
coastalgirl1
Thanks to fellow Houzzers who helped me understand that my living room needed a new cocktail table...I was previously incorrectly focusing on the small decorative items instead of the table, which was really throwing things off. Attached is a photo of our living room sofa and chairs. Due to space isses, we are unable to put the chairs on either side of the fireplace, so I think this furniture layout is it! I am at a total loss as to what type of table would look best with the space we have. I am also open to moving the picture over the fireplace, so if a combination of new mirror and table would be best, I would love to hear those thoughts, too! The fireplace is not the snazziest thing we've ever seen, but we probably can't afford to do anything with that right now, so we are thinking buy tables first...and fix fireplace later. Thanks in advance for any ideas on our table dilemma!
see_
An elliptical/oval coffee table would look great. It would follow the direction of the room, but at the same time soften the angles. Here are some suggestions:
http://www.blueprintfurniture.com/ovale-coffee-table.html
http://www.dwr.com/product/eames-elliptical-table.do?sortby=ourPicks#.UPMjCx08CSo (in white)
http://bp1.blogger.com/_EkxQiDsvJOM/Rd75QlI7nLI/AAAAAAAABhQ/_eDsw2TQ5X0/s1600-h/4.jpg

also, I would remove the painting and put a round modern mirror instead. Finally, a suggestion regarding your color scheme: the existing wall color is a warm yellowy color that looks somewhat generic. Painting the walls in a cooler color, like a white or a very light gray would make your space look much more sophisticated. Good luck.
January 13, 2013 at 1:16PM   
tleigh1955
Is there a TV in this room? Why couldn't you have the sofa facing the fireplace an have the chairs to each side of the firplace? I would use a round coffee table in a medium wood, also a mirror would look nice above your fireplace, in a rectangle placed vertically. I like the idea of the medium wood, like a pecan since you have the navy chairs and also would raise the plants on pedestels. I would add window treatments to this space as well and accessorize the mantel.
January 13, 2013 at 1:17PM   
see_
See also here for inspiration: http://www.houzz.com/elliptical-coffee-table
January 13, 2013 at 1:20PM   
coastalgirl1
Hi- there is no tv in this room.
January 13, 2013 at 1:21PM   
michigammemom
Here is a room arrangement and furnishing that are quite similar to yours. I like the contrast of the black iron base and casual wood top of this coffee table.
January 13, 2013 at 1:26PM     
January 13, 2013 at 1:33PM   
Chandani
It looks like you should have enough room to have the sofa facing the fireplace and the chairs flanking the fireplace....but of course, we are just judging based on the photo. I would go for a glass and wood coffee table in an oblong shape.... or even glass and white metal in a more traditional style.

I don't think your fireplace is too bad and that you can make it better with a little bit of stock trim. You could, for example, do pilasters on the thicker part of the wall flanking the fireplace up to the mantle. Replace the existing mantle with a chunkier one one that spans right across. The artwork is fine...though I might opt for a starburst mirror. A couple of drapery panels on the windows will soften the space and complete the space. Also, consider an area rug.
January 13, 2013 at 1:34PM   
January 13, 2013 at 1:41PM     
intoit
Your room is lovely, especially with the blue accents and yellow walls. You could use a rectangular or an oval coffee table as long as the size was not too big. Think the picture over your fireplace is much more interesting than another mirror. Of course it is always fun to swap those items around from time to time when we need a change. Great job!
January 13, 2013 at 1:54PM   
coastalgirl1
Hi, everyone...my photos may have not depicted the wall color very well. It is a sandy beige color. Darzy, love both of your recommendations. Could I do silver instead of gold color in both the mirror and the table?
January 13, 2013 at 2:01PM   
Aggie Purvinska
A large Rectangular would be nice. The look is a bit country, too, I don't know if it intentional, but it is nice. I wouldn't go with anything too dainty...

Almost thinking something like a trunk...it would go with the nautical travel theme as well...

[houzz=Boho Chic Green Coffee Table Trunk]
[houzz=Traveler Coffee Table]

[houzz=Vintage Steamer Trunk Table 54"]

[houzz=Plain Taka Coffee Table]
January 13, 2013 at 2:03PM     
tennisanyone
Something with glass to break up all the upholstered furniture. I would move those two vases on to the mantle. This way you have "three". Odd numbers look best. I would move them to the right instead of separating them. Are you thinking about drapes? I would remove that small table behind the chairs with the vase too. Your room is very nice and you are off to a good start.
January 13, 2013 at 2:22PM   
anthip
Lovely room and I like the table that Darzy posted. I agree with someone who said the picture is more interesting than a mirror-unless you're reflecting some amazing view.
January 13, 2013 at 2:38PM   
judydecorating
Looks very nice, but I would do a silver coffee table with a glass top to keep the area from being closed up and definitely a silver modern mirror (like the gold onle) but the silver will keep it more sleek looking.
I think that's all you need to make the room pop. When you can a beige area rug with your blue highlights will also warm it up and can be seen through the glass table. Not too busy of a carpet...just pops of your blue.
January 13, 2013 at 2:42PM   
The Creative Man
Think about painting the fireplace a beige, coffee color out of the sails in the painting. The mantel could go dark and the wall inset of the picture could be the same new color of the fireplace. Then think about an ottoman or a hasik like table that can flip over when inverted and becomes a table top. I saw a lot of the on overstock.com.
January 13, 2013 at 2:54PM   
Jayme H.
I think painting just the mantle black would help
January 13, 2013 at 2:58PM   
Sure, silver color would look nice. Here's one from Ethan Allen.

January 13, 2013 at 3:04PM     
Chandani
Darcy's pics are similar to what I had in mind. I lean toward white metal with blues and whites.
January 13, 2013 at 8:16PM     
coastalgirl1
Thanks, Chandani and Darzy!
January 13, 2013 at 8:38PM     
cyn222
You are going a great job. Maybe a long narrow table would work. Good luck and have fun.
January 14, 2013 at 12:39AM   
Cherrywood Studio
This table from Cherrywood Studio would round out your room. Let us know if we can help.
January 14, 2013 at 11:28AM   
coastalgirl1
I always have a positive reaction when I see the metal and glass tables, especially in the silver tones. My concern is making sure I find one that doesn't scream "formal"!
January 15, 2013 at 4:22PM   
Kristen Lobbes
I love the furniture and pillows! I would angle the chairs together a bit. Have you considered an ottoman instead of a table? With a tray on top for drinks? I think a medium to dark brown leather one would look great! Good luck!
January 15, 2013 at 6:26PM   
coastalgirl1
Thanks for the ideas, Kristen!
January 15, 2013 at 7:41PM   
Go Nautical Collections
Here is the nautical theme source http://gonautical.com/nautical-decor-c-2.html
January 18, 2013 at 8:02AM   
auntiebuzzybee
Can we NOT do a sunburst wall decor( please) ? Let's move on folks!!!
April 5, 2014 at 8:39PM   
Family room vs. living room dilemma
We are moving into a new home next week and I have...
Living room / dining room wall dilemma
We live in a basic stone-on-stone , no-frills house...
Living room/dining room dilemma
I just got my first apartment and I'm super excited!...
Living room/ dining room dilemma
I don't know how to remove these
I moved in somewhere after an elderly woman and these...
open kitchen/living room layout
I am planning to replace the current u-shaped kitchen...
Nook help needed!!!!
I had originally thought of doing one big window box...
Need help to revamp my house maybe adding trims...
I would like to add trims to the front of my house...
I purchased an undermount sink and now I need one to use with laminate
April 7th I bought a sink from you. 35 Inch stainless...