Basement family room color choices and new bar design
janehathaway
January 13, 2013 in Other
Recently renovationed and moved into a new home...last room to work on is the finished basement. The home is 14 years old and has some knotty pine tongue and grove paneling. It also has a light brown carpet that I could live with...we entertain allot and have many accidents, so replacing that isn't a priority. I am thinking of some area rugs to break up the wall-to-wall. My husband wants to keep the knotty pine natural for a rustic look - I am not opposed if we get the paint right on the walls. I would like to paint the knotty pine - seems like most would suggest that based on all the discussions I read on others with the same decor. The sofa's are a navy blue with a red and pale yellow french dot design, very subtle. We are also going to build a bar where you see a temporary bar ( taken out of the kitchen in the renovation ) I am also looking for suggestions on what type of material you would suggest to finish the outside of the bar...I don't want anymore knotty pine but not sure what to consider without being too busy. Look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions...
Knotty pine isn't my favorite because it tends to look yellow with age, but yours still looks really nice. I wouldn't rush into painting it just yet. I think if you painted your walls a light blue it would work well with your sofa and your knotty pine.

For the outside of your bar, try mirror tiles!
January 14, 2013 at 4:58am   
janehathaway
Thanks for your suggestions....I almost fell off my chair laughing...our last home had a similar basement finish, with T1-11 natural paneling halfway and a cedar top bar....I painted the walls a light blue and it looked great....my husband hated the color and it almost caused a divorce. It looked great and made the room nice an airey...doubtful I can paint them that color again....do you have a second suggestion? The kitchen is painted Sherwin Williams Ecru and the stairway is open to the basement...I was thinking about carrying that color down the stairs on on all the walls without knotty pine. The bar will be L shaped in the area with the knotty pine and I could do something different there. The decorator that helped us with the house colors when we were renovating suggested SW Ancestral Gold for the basement...just haven't decided if I want that over the knotty pine, as its very similar to the color the previous owners had and it just doesn't pop.
January 14, 2013 at 5:34am   
Funny! Sorry, I wouldn't add anything beige or gold or yellow. I've never heard of a man that didn't like blue!!! That's amazing. How about violet if he doesn't like blue? hehehe Seriously, maybe a pretty green, or if you must, off-white. I would never put gray in a basement, they're already underground, you need something lively.

As a second choice I think I would look at a pale or sage green.
January 14, 2013 at 6:45am   
janehathaway
Don't be sorry, had to email him your post and tell him I was not so far off at the last place since that was the first color that came to your mind....
January 14, 2013 at 10:30am   
janehathaway
what do you think of a brick veneer for the bar face? The outside of our home is brick.
January 14, 2013 at 10:31am   
I love brick! Real brick, not that horrible z-brick stuff everyone used in the 70's. Brick would be great. Did he return your email???? Too funny!
January 14, 2013 at 12:50pm   
janehathaway
I saw a post elsewhere on here for portstone brick, which is ceramic and also a product called brick it - which is a real brick product but laid like tile....NO zbrick here...LOL....he did return my email and thought I was talking about our MBR - designer chose sea salt for the MBR and Bath - which is in the grey family and he hates that as well....LOL....
January 14, 2013 at 1:42pm   
Oh boy! What does he like??? Sea Salt is a gorgeous color!
January 14, 2013 at 2:22pm   
janehathaway
it is...you are cracking me up....he likes beige...boring beige....
January 14, 2013 at 2:26pm     
Last year we bought a flipped house. Every wall was painted beige. Except for the dining room which was painted chicken fat yellow. Last week I painted it ultra pure white, so much better!!! And right now I'm going to begin painting the fireplace my beloved red ochre. What a delicious color!
January 14, 2013 at 2:30pm     
janehathaway
Bobbi...is there anyway to cross post on this forum?
January 15, 2013 at 6:03am   
Jane, I'm not sure what you mean by cross post? If you have another discussion going, you can copy/paste the URL and then post it into another discussion. Am I close?
January 15, 2013 at 9:44am   
janehathaway
yes...thanks...new to this site...but getting addicted. Best site I have ever seen on home improvement/ideas
January 15, 2013 at 11:12am     
It's definitely addictive! But don't take it to seriously, have fun with it!
January 15, 2013 at 11:19am   
Crystal Chavez
Great discussion convo going! I saw this and thought it might be a good compromise for you and your husband... it's neutral colors, keeps the wood but isn't just boring beige!

Waukesha Lower Level

Wildflower Basement and Wine Cellar
January 15, 2013 at 11:40am   
janehathaway
thanks Crystal, its been a fun banter...I like both the pictures above....I think the stacked stone and the cabinetry look great together....maybe just a nice summer white would be good. I know my husband would like it. We haven't decided on a theme, the Waukesha lower level made me start to think about that as well. He's an avid fly fisherman and we also have a touring bike...so maybe a mix of both of those would be good once we get past the finishes. LOL
January 15, 2013 at 1:09pm     
cinderellaslipper
I think a butter milk cream would look fresh, and use some pastel brights for pillow colours, later, when the pine needs painting, a palest sage or griege will go well with the cream walls, spend some time thinking about mood lighting, low lamps and up lighters, as basements are easy to create dark corners in..you could use a strong wall paper design in a pearlised finish to give a big personality to your den..
April 2, 2014 at 1:52pm   
Thoroughspect llc
Make sure to use natural spectrum light bulbs in a basement setting.
Peace
April 4, 2014 at 9:32pm   
Need help with paint choice in basement bar/family room.
Looking for an island retreat/tiki bar/family room...
Best design principles for basement family room
I have a small basement area I'd like to convert to...
need help designing the layout of our basement family room
I'd like to find a program (free) that I can play with...
Design for long narrow basement family room
Looking for some help with our basement. We have new:...
Basement design questions - Wet bar, Home Theatre, Exercise Room, etc.
Finishing a walkout basement in my 2 year old house....
tv or no tv?
We are going to redo fireplace wirh stone to ceiling....
Need help to find right rug , coffee tables and ottoman .
Hello, dear houzz designers really need your advice...
POLL: Stained Glass - Love it or Leave it?
Do you love the look of stained glass and have or want...
Kitchen Backsplash?
We are currently building our dream home right now,...
Your best wallpaper removal tips?
Have you ever tackled the task of removing wallpaper...