Kitchen counter tops
thilmanowski
Hi everyone, I am replacing my current counter tops with solid color quartz and wanted to incorporate 2 separate colors (one will be quartz almond rica, light cream color, the other is lagos azul, dark brown). I have decided to place the lighter color along the main "L" of the kitchen and the dark brown on the island, is this the right choice? When I look through pictures on the site I see the opposite, wondering if I made a mistake....

Thanks for the input,
Tara
I think it depends on the color of your cabinets. Many people go for contrasts, so with light cabinets on the perimeter they would use the darker countertop material, and with a darker island they would use the lighter countertop. And vice versa if their main cabinetry is dark and the island light. The reason I think you see more of the former pattern is that white kitchens with darker painted or stained wood islands are popular at the moment, so that determines the counter choices and placements, if they are going for the two toned aesthetic effect.
January 14, 2013 at 4:38am   
thilmanowski
Ahhh I understand now... Thanks. I attached a picture of my kitchen, I had posted this pic in the design dilemma weeks ago and got great feed back. I have since painted kitchen "natural linen" and placed my new GE cafe appliances. I am ditching the busy granite because the tile floors are so busy. I picked the new counter tops as an attempt to complement the "not my favorite" tile floors. The sales women recommended I place lighter tops on the L to open up the kitchen but I am now second guessing myself, as always.

One last option is what do you think of doing dark on the "L" and keeping the island as is? That might still look to busy with the floors though... Too many options....
Thanks for your response,
Tara
January 14, 2013 at 4:45am   
How do you like the look of the newly-painted cabinets and new appliances with the current granite and floors? Is it still too busy? I hate to see you take out perfectly good granite countertops, but I do understand not liking having busy floors and counters competing. Dare I ask whether replacing the floors with something less busy would be less expensive than putting in new counters? (I genuinely don't know the answer to this). I only mention this since it sounds like it is the tile floors that are not your favorite, whereas you didn't say anything negative about the granite except that it was busy (which is true of so many granites). Anyway, I don't mean to encourage even more second guessing. I just want to make sure you aren't spending more money this way than the reverse.
January 14, 2013 at 4:52am   
Just saw your additional question. I think it would be fine to keep the island dark stained wood and the perimeter cabinets painted linen. In that case, if you wanted the two tone effect, I'd put the darker counters with the light cabinets and the lighter on the island. But I think it also depends on how these counters look with your tile floors. I can't see the tile in the photo you posted, so I can't see how busy it is actually is or whether the colors of quartz counters are picking up colors from the flooring.
January 14, 2013 at 4:56am   
thilmanowski
Feeny, I did price out replacing the tile...super expensive. It is not the material that is the cost it is the demo (I don't think I could tackle that). And sorry for the confusion but I did not paint the cabinets they are still as in the picture, I painted the walls natural linen. Sorry, so hard to communicate via blogs. Thanks for your input I think I will try to do the dark quartz on the "L" and keep the island granite, if it still looks to busy I will just put the light tan quartz on the island later. Thanks for your time and input.
Tara
January 14, 2013 at 5:20am   
Gabberts Design Studio
From the picture, I don't think the countertops are too busy with the floor tile. I would recommend a quartz with some dimension, versus solid. Also, with your style kitchen, I wouldn't recommend two different quartz colors. It will confuse the space and draw attention to all the different surfaces.
January 14, 2013 at 5:25am   
Okay, let me make sure I'm understanding the plan. Are the cabinets staying in the dark stain (which I like)? If so, I'd be hesitant to use a dark counter as well. I'd go with the lighter counter throughout if the cabinets are all dark. And I agree with Gabberts--if your complaint is that there is too much going on in the kitchen with the floors, then keep the countertops all the same. Two different materials will only make it seem busier.
January 14, 2013 at 5:26am   
thilmanowski
Feeny, you got it right :-) Ok, I understand the 2 different tops making it busy, which is what I am desperately trying to avoid. Maybe I need to shop around some more!
Tara
January 14, 2013 at 5:34am   
But Tara, do consider carefully what Gabberts (a professional design firm) said about the granite counters and the floor. They don't think it is necessarily a problem. I just can't see enough of the floor to make that call (I'd want to see photos of both up close to see the colors and patterns), but I'm not a professional. So I'm worried that you are about to make an expensive change in the countertops that you may not actually need.
January 14, 2013 at 5:57am   
thilmanowski
Feeny, thanks so much I actually was so stressed the owner of the kitchen cabinet/granite store just left my house and he talked me out of changing the tops as well. He suggested doing a calm tile backsplash and leaving them for now, he thinks they will grow on me. I must say they have grown on me a bit since I painted the walls natural linen instead of the purple/gray that was there. Thanks for your input I am so bad at these things its crazy.
Tara
January 14, 2013 at 8:48am   
I think the newly understated wall color and a pretty, neutral backsplash could do a lot to tone down any overly busy effects of the granite and flooring.
January 14, 2013 at 8:52am   
Renaissance Marble Works, Inc.
Just remember less is more!
January 14, 2013 at 11:02am   
Cuckoo clock with picture hangings
This clock was given to my boyfriend by his sister...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
How to layout furniture in my small apartment living room?
I have a small apartment. My living room is 13.5 feet...
Pool table and rug
Would you ever put a pool table on an area rug on a...
How would you use our Turkish-T Basic Bath?
Our Basic Bath is 70" x 40" of beautiful loomed Turkish...