Furniture Glides/Sliders - do they work?
orangecamera
As I prepare to move into a house with all brand new flooring, I know I'll want to rearrange furniture more than a few times until it's "just right". Of course I don't want to damage my new (laminate) floors by sliding heavy furniture around. I am thinking of getting those furniture glide/slide things, but want to know if they actually work not only to move the furniture, but also to protect the floors. So, do they actually work?
nasmijati
The "Magic Sliders"are fantastic for the refrigerator, electric stove, and washing machine. Just be sure to wipe the floor free of dust/grit before sliding the appliances.
January 14, 2013 at 11:19am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Only if the floor is very clean. Had a friend scratch beautiful new hardwoods when they moved in as a grain of rock got under one of the pads. Not a pretty sight.
January 14, 2013 at 11:22am   
kimdee24
When I moved into this house, before I let the movers put anything down, I made them put felts on the bottom of every single furniture leg to protect the floor.
January 14, 2013 at 11:25am   
orangecamera
Oh, I'm glad I asked! I'll be sure to clean the floors before any furniture goes in or gets rearranged. kdeley, good idea, thank you. Do those help with moving furniture too, or just for protecting the floor? Thanks everyone :)
January 14, 2013 at 11:55am   
Scott Design, Inc.
If you take a piece of clean carpet, turn it upside down and then place furniture on it, you can pull on it and move the piece. Or if you use small pcs. of carpet for each leg, you can push or pull the furniture. Whatever small grit that may still linger is pushed up into the carpet not down onto the floor. You should still vaccuum the floor prior to doing any of this. I can't say this is fool proof, but it's another approach.
January 14, 2013 at 12:05pm   
orangecamera
Cool idea, Scott Design. Thank you. I can probably find a small area rug and cut it up for less than buying a ton of the Magic Sliders.
January 14, 2013 at 12:16pm   
Scott Design, Inc.
Go to a carpet dealer. They always have rug samples they are throwing away.
January 14, 2013 at 2:07pm   
nasmijati
I would use the Magic Sliders for the appliances. They just let the appliances glide out so easily when it is time to vacuum the condenser coil of the refrigerator every month, get the lint out from under the washing machine, and the cat toys out from under the electric stove.

I agree with the other suggestions to use carpet under all of the furniture, chair legs, and so on. One can purchase little terry cloth "booties" for chair legs from some home products catalogs. They come in colors to coordinate with other textiles in the room.

Are you planning to have a no shoes policy in your home? This would mean you would provide spa socks or slippers for guests. Shoe covers like surgeons wear are available in the paint department at Home Depot. These are good for tradesmen.
Keep some kind of wipe by the door to clean wheels on a wheelchair or a walker with wheels, too.

Best wishes.
January 14, 2013 at 5:42pm   
orangecamera
Thank you, eztia, good advice :)

I'm a casual person, so shoes on or off at the pleasure of my guests.

I'll pick up enough of the Magic Sliders to go under the kitchen and laundry appliances. I hope not to move them for a long time (once they're installed), but it will be nice to do it easily when necessary!

And today I got a welcome surprise phone call from the floor installers. They had a last-minute cancellation for tomorrow, so my installation will start a day early.
January 14, 2013 at 6:12pm   
What is missing on my kitchen cabinet tops?
Please give me advice on the decor for my kitchen cabinet...
Bad staircase design...please help!
We are not around to monitor our new build, and ended...
Back Porch Decor? What do you think?
I am trying to spiff up the back porch and would love...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Need help for set up my whole house, its new house, no experiance
Need help on window curtains and setup for living,...