What do you think I need in this living room?
marionstwart
Need help with my living room
Hi everyone,

I'm new on here and I really need your help and opinions on decorating my new home:). I moved into my home 5 months ago and all the furniture for my living room was bought in a hurry becuz we had a baby on the way so we were on a deadline. I had an idea in mind of what I wanted which was contemporary/modern look. Bought a grey sectional and a black sofa for contrast. Added a shag rug thats black and white. Now my living room feels very dull and no life. I achieved a opposite result of what I intended to achieve and that was a spacious modern colorful and cozy living room. I have attached a few pics. I would love advice on what piece of furniture/color would go with my grey sectional and how i can bring back some life and color into this room keeping within my contemporary/modern theme. Your help is greatly appreciated:)
Lori Roy
does the large sectional come apart? i think that having it go so far past the stairs it makes the room look small and crowded - if it can be separated i would play with moving a small piece across the room
January 14, 2013 at 6:42pm     
Bonnie
Your place looks stage to sell. So what I would say is to hang some pictures on the wall, add something on the table and make it looks like someone actually lives there.
January 14, 2013 at 6:58pm     
Jayme H.
It feels like there is too much sofa/not enough color and contrast from rug to sofas-at least for this size of a room. I think some lighter objects are needed. Being your furniture is new, I am guessing u want to keep it. I was thinking maybe remove one or the other and get some lighter/contrasting chairs... Maybe some colorful art on wall where black sofa is. Or maybe just a lighter rug would do the trick...see pics
January 14, 2013 at 6:59pm     
marionstwart
guys thanks for getting back to me. all your comments are really helpful:). I will keep your comments in mind. That being said do you think i should get rid of the black sofa and replace it with some accent chairs or even a white modern loveseat ? I agree i need something lighter stuff in there as the rug is dark as well. ideas?
January 14, 2013 at 7:08pm     
Bonnie
It might be less expensive to just replace the rug. With a multi-colored rug you can incorate pillow colors off the rug for the couches.
January 14, 2013 at 7:18pm     
Jayme H.
The rug change could really help...see my pics of lighter ones/the effect they have...I like both sofas, but u would have more seating with the sectional...so ?? Do u have a basement to use either one in? I would look at some lighter seating...chairs...not sure exactly what type..would have to browse some. You have a nice home! Light lamp on a table with a chair...
January 14, 2013 at 7:23pm     
sherswan
I would definitely replace the rug before buying a new sofa, If you are daring maybe a rug with some pops of a bright vibrant color like red, teal, orange, I noticed it looks like you already have some teal colored things, you might want to play off different tones if that the color you like, and also pillows are a great way to add pops of color without being to permanent and brightens up a room. You could also get a white ottoman, nail head,tufted, something like that could also help brighten the room. Good Luck.
January 14, 2013 at 7:45pm     
Fly Tone
Your sectional sofa looks modular so can you remove the middle seat and make it a smaller? It would seem to fit the space by the stairs better. Then you could place a small side table and maybe a cool lamp there. I think 2 club chairs could replace the love seat nicely. Pictures and/art would be good too. Lighter accents ...too many earth tones can make it feel boring! A pop of color in rug could be what it needs!
January 14, 2013 at 7:49pm     
mpoulsom
Bright abstract art and bright pillows to break everything up!
January 14, 2013 at 7:53pm     
pcmom1
I would remove the sofa with the rounded arms, keep the sectional and add a couple of chairs. Play around with the furniture placement. Have the two front feet of the sectional (at least ) on the rug. Add a large colorful art piece to your wall and then pull color from that on to sofa with pillows.
January 14, 2013 at 8:02pm     
alsad
Changing the rug should help... Since your sofa is new hold on to it unless you're still unhappy with how the room looks with changing the rug. I think some pattern would also help... If you are going for a modern look, textured pillows in earthy greens/ muted blue will help. If feasible, adding drapes to the windows in the space will also help the space feel more cozy.
January 14, 2013 at 8:06pm     
alsad
Just noticed the fireplace as well... Changing the tile around the fireplace for a faux stone etc can really help modernize the space
January 14, 2013 at 8:08pm     
marionstwart
Hi Everyone all your comments are so helpful:). I really appreciate you all taking the time out to comment. Lori Roy the sectional does come apart. I agree with you on how it makes the room look small. I will have try to take it aprt and see. i do have one question ladies and that is if I had to get rid of the sofa or the rug which one should go? if get rid of the sofa what color loveseat/sofa would go with the rest of the furniture and if i get rid of the rug what color would look great? all your comments are greatly appreciated!!
January 15, 2013 at 11:21am   
Jayme H.
I would go for comfort for my family. With a young family, u watch movies, hang out at home a lot, etc..be comfy! Sectional not so bad if other sofa is gone/not sure I would get a love seat, but maybe two chairs and a small table for a lamp or something. I would attempt to remove a sofa/sectional whichever u choose and look into a brighter rug/maybe some colorful art. The animal print is supposed to be greyish. And so were all of the rugs but they look a little brownish...trying to show a lighter background rug.
January 15, 2013 at 2:12pm     
Jayme H.
cool chairs
January 15, 2013 at 2:18pm   
ekc3502
I agree with many of the comments: swap out the love seat for some nice appropriate scale club chairs, accent pillows, wall art, and curtain panels will go along way.
January 15, 2013 at 3:01pm     
nikitasmom
If you did go with the idea of replacing the black sofa with side chairs you may have room to pull the sectional away from the wall which would allow you to push it in a few inches to the half wall. Though I think I see a vent on that wall.
January 15, 2013 at 3:44pm     
jjandhk
The first thing I would do for your room is paint the walls white; and maybe 1 wall a bright accent color.
Then I would lose the black sofa, take apart the sectional, and see how much room is left for one armchair or 2. Some bright cushions, and artwork....and you have a bright modern space!
January 15, 2013 at 4:00pm     
Sustainable Dwellings
Get a great rug *w color, a couple of cozy throws and pillows in contrasting prints...and art.
May 14, 2014 at 10:36am     
Complete living room transformation! What do you think?
Decorilla's latest design transformation for a small...
Living room update. What do you think? Any suggestions?
We recently bought this house and have been gradually...
what do you think about my design for my liveing room
3d wall panels, remote control TV cabinet, with blue...
need help to pull colors together, make room look good
This is my one room kitchen. , living room, and dining,...
Need help with master bath design/layout
Master bath is 18' 8" x 10' 4" if I take one of the...
HELP ME PLEASE!!! I NEED COLOR and Brightness
Hello, I just bought this house about a month ago...
OH LORD HELP!
My house was destroyed in Sandy. Finally trying to...
I need help in deciding what flooring to do in my basement please?
I had a flood in my basement due to frozen pipes and...