What do you think I need in this living room?
marionstwartJanuary 14, 2013
Need help with my living room
Hi everyone,

I'm new on here and I really need your help and opinions on decorating my new home:). I moved into my home 5 months ago and all the furniture for my living room was bought in a hurry becuz we had a baby on the way so we were on a deadline. I had an idea in mind of what I wanted which was contemporary/modern look. Bought a grey sectional and a black sofa for contrast. Added a shag rug thats black and white. Now my living room feels very dull and no life. I achieved a opposite result of what I intended to achieve and that was a spacious modern colorful and cozy living room. I have attached a few pics. I would love advice on what piece of furniture/color would go with my grey sectional and how i can bring back some life and color into this room keeping within my contemporary/modern theme. Your help is greatly appreciated:)
Lori Roy
does the large sectional come apart? i think that having it go so far past the stairs it makes the room look small and crowded - if it can be separated i would play with moving a small piece across the room
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 6:42PM
Bonnie
Your place looks stage to sell. So what I would say is to hang some pictures on the wall, add something on the table and make it looks like someone actually lives there.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 6:58PM
Jayme H.
It feels like there is too much sofa/not enough color and contrast from rug to sofas-at least for this size of a room. I think some lighter objects are needed. Being your furniture is new, I am guessing u want to keep it. I was thinking maybe remove one or the other and get some lighter/contrasting chairs... Maybe some colorful art on wall where black sofa is. Or maybe just a lighter rug would do the trick...see pics
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 6:59PM
marionstwart
guys thanks for getting back to me. all your comments are really helpful:). I will keep your comments in mind. That being said do you think i should get rid of the black sofa and replace it with some accent chairs or even a white modern loveseat ? I agree i need something lighter stuff in there as the rug is dark as well. ideas?
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 7:08PM
Bonnie
It might be less expensive to just replace the rug. With a multi-colored rug you can incorate pillow colors off the rug for the couches.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 7:18PM
Jayme H.
The rug change could really help...see my pics of lighter ones/the effect they have...I like both sofas, but u would have more seating with the sectional...so ?? Do u have a basement to use either one in? I would look at some lighter seating...chairs...not sure exactly what type..would have to browse some. You have a nice home! Light lamp on a table with a chair...
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 7:23PM
sherswan
I would definitely replace the rug before buying a new sofa, If you are daring maybe a rug with some pops of a bright vibrant color like red, teal, orange, I noticed it looks like you already have some teal colored things, you might want to play off different tones if that the color you like, and also pillows are a great way to add pops of color without being to permanent and brightens up a room. You could also get a white ottoman, nail head,tufted, something like that could also help brighten the room. Good Luck.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 7:45PM
Fly Tone
Your sectional sofa looks modular so can you remove the middle seat and make it a smaller? It would seem to fit the space by the stairs better. Then you could place a small side table and maybe a cool lamp there. I think 2 club chairs could replace the love seat nicely. Pictures and/art would be good too. Lighter accents ...too many earth tones can make it feel boring! A pop of color in rug could be what it needs!
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 7:49PM
mpoulsom
Bright abstract art and bright pillows to break everything up!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 7:53PM
pcmom1
I would remove the sofa with the rounded arms, keep the sectional and add a couple of chairs. Play around with the furniture placement. Have the two front feet of the sectional (at least ) on the rug. Add a large colorful art piece to your wall and then pull color from that on to sofa with pillows.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 8:02PM
alsad
Changing the rug should help... Since your sofa is new hold on to it unless you're still unhappy with how the room looks with changing the rug. I think some pattern would also help... If you are going for a modern look, textured pillows in earthy greens/ muted blue will help. If feasible, adding drapes to the windows in the space will also help the space feel more cozy.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 8:06PM
alsad
Just noticed the fireplace as well... Changing the tile around the fireplace for a faux stone etc can really help modernize the space
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 8:08PM
marionstwart
Hi Everyone all your comments are so helpful:). I really appreciate you all taking the time out to comment. Lori Roy the sectional does come apart. I agree with you on how it makes the room look small. I will have try to take it aprt and see. i do have one question ladies and that is if I had to get rid of the sofa or the rug which one should go? if get rid of the sofa what color loveseat/sofa would go with the rest of the furniture and if i get rid of the rug what color would look great? all your comments are greatly appreciated!!
    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 11:21AM
Jayme H.
I would go for comfort for my family. With a young family, u watch movies, hang out at home a lot, etc..be comfy! Sectional not so bad if other sofa is gone/not sure I would get a love seat, but maybe two chairs and a small table for a lamp or something. I would attempt to remove a sofa/sectional whichever u choose and look into a brighter rug/maybe some colorful art. The animal print is supposed to be greyish. And so were all of the rugs but they look a little brownish...trying to show a lighter background rug.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 2:12PM
Jayme H.
cool chairs
    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 2:18PM
ekc3502
I agree with many of the comments: swap out the love seat for some nice appropriate scale club chairs, accent pillows, wall art, and curtain panels will go along way.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 3:01PM
nikitasmom
If you did go with the idea of replacing the black sofa with side chairs you may have room to pull the sectional away from the wall which would allow you to push it in a few inches to the half wall. Though I think I see a vent on that wall.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 3:44PM
jjandhk
The first thing I would do for your room is paint the walls white; and maybe 1 wall a bright accent color.
Then I would lose the black sofa, take apart the sectional, and see how much room is left for one armchair or 2. Some bright cushions, and artwork....and you have a bright modern space!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 4:00PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Get a great rug *w color, a couple of cozy throws and pillows in contrasting prints...and art.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:36AM
Teresa Smith
I am not a "to the wall fan" meaning I don't like all my furniture pushed against the walls. It looks as though your focal point in the room is the fireplace. Try working from that area and and I agree with jjandhk ---- color, color, color. Get rid of the black sofa, I love the coffee table but it is almost too small for the sectional, but the glass is an great choice. I love the thought of turquoise with gray. And nothing finishes a room like window treatments.
    Bookmark   December 25, 2014 at 12:03AM
While I prefer the color of the sectional, it is too big for the room. Sell it and keep the sofa, adding a pair of chairs in color and pattern to pick up the mood a bit. Changing the rug to something lighter and brighter would help too.
    Bookmark   December 25, 2014 at 8:00AM
This is a very old post 2013.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 25, 2014 at 10:42AM
thollowa
I would say just change out the rug and add some color with the throw pillows. Furniture is nice otherwise. It lends for several options.
    Bookmark   December 25, 2014 at 2:52PM
Do you think this room needs a rug? What Colors and waht style ?
I think a rug would liven up the room , and protect...
TAPIS ESSGO CARPETS
What do you think and what can I do???
My old living room and the huge furniture and I won't...
meauxmeaux3
What do you think of my living room?
I have to admit, I love the way I pulled things together...
royalcoyle
What do you think of a room divider like this?
Hi, The room is L-shape and is a living room upstairs...
rickster88
best floor for shower floor? Hate cleaning grout so no tile.
currently have a fiberglass pan 47 X 46. ugly! We...
tonimccrary
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Master Bathroom
I am redoing my master bathroom and have space to "enclose"...
hillwalker1999
Window coverings for French doors
Looking for suggestions on what would look good for...
sacase2000
Need to replace my existing tub in my bathroom
I have a jacuzzi tub in my Master bath, I would like...
helenefinds