Need advice redoing this fireplace!
jencabral123
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are putting a new gas insert. Want to reface the rest mostly because we don't like the way the previous owner painted the chimney. We want a rustic look. Is it ok if we do stone even though the exterior of our home is that brick? Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark_a_holiday
I have a similar situation - a large fireplace made of the same brick as the exterior of my home. Im looking for a real stone product cause I just havent found a manufactured product that doesnt look really fake. I dont see any reason you cant cover the brick - esp if u want a different look. If and when I do find the stone Im looking for, Ive thought about 'trimming' the entrance to the house in a little stone, as thats a fairly common look around my home. But my primary objective is to cover the brick inside with stone and bring the outdoors in. A big brick fireplace doesnt really do much for me!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 7:02AM
creeser
I agree with you not liking what they did with the chimney paint job. What were they thinking? As for stone, absolutely. It might take some special backing before they can put it up, but a good stonemason can get it done properly.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 7:07AM
PRO
Architect Andrew Morrall
There are many products that allow you to apply stone or masonry without the need for an expensive foundation. Some of these products are very cost effective with good effect. Here is an example of an eldorado stone product applied to a plywood substrate. An added design setail is that the stone veneer stops before the ceiling and a diffused acrylic panel with led backlighting sits atop the stone venner.

1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 7:13AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, stone would be fine.

0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:22AM
jencabral123
Thanks so much for all of your advice! Stone it is
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 2:28PM
mmilos
I would have a drywall installer frame out the top of your fireplace all the way to the ceiling (same diagonal plane as the fireplace front but stepped-back from the unpainted lower fireplace brick to leave a mantle). Then, I would drywall the upper part and hang a nice piece of art or a large vertical mirror. This would eliminate the odd angles of the chimney above the fireplace. Keep the brick on the lower portion. This would be a lot cheaper than new stone all the way up.

EDIT: Oh...saw you wanted a rustic look. Stone cladding would be nice, but I'd still disguise the odd angles of the upper chimney.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 2:50PM
PRO
Travis Robert Renovations
Frame out the upper portion of your fireplace to add some consistency and then you can reface with a stone veneer...
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 3:13PM
PRO
Wyland Interior Design Center
I would agree with mmilos, drywall from top of mantel at a 45 degree angle (same angle as fireplace) all the way up. I would set in back that wall some so it still leaves room for a mantle on top. Drywalling would be less than tile or putting stone on the face, but you could do that too. I have attach photos of a job I completed that showing the same scenario.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 3:18PM