What color built-ins?
pcdrodge
Remodel as follows: walls knocked out to make kitchen, living and dining one room. Living is sunken about a foot and a half. Will be putting built-in between living and dining (where that pile of wood is) and bookshelves on either side of fireplace. Kitchen cabs are dark java and island is a sand color. What color should the built-ins be? I was told built-ins should be the same color as baseboards, ours are white but could be changed. Is that really a rule? Thanks for any decorating advice you can give me. I plan to change the red wall to something else, not sure what yet. Greyish brownish?
Since it is pretty open, I would limit myself to two different colors. Personally, I think the island looks unfinished in the sand color and would paint it and the built-ins the same - probably a white or cream. Baseboards or tow kicks (which you'll need under all cabinets) aren't very evident in these pics, so not sure what that dilemma is regarding their color. Is the hand rail on the right staying or is that just propped there?
    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 9:32AM
Lillian's Paintbrush
I love what you are doing in the kitchen....I would suggest going white or wall color with the built ins or even doing the kitchen cabinet repeated. Definitely go gray toned for walls :)
    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 9:37AM
pcdrodge
I wish I had gotten the island in white. But I really don't want to paint my brand new island. :(. The railing on the right is going and will be replaced with something metal and wood. All of the baseboards and window trim and doors in the room and the entry and the whole house are stark white. So if I made the built-ins the same color as the island would that look weird with all the stark white trim? And would it look good with grey walls? I want a really neutral decor with pops of color. I will be hanging a very colorful abstract painting above the fireplace. Thanks for your help.
    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 11:13AM
pcdrodge
Also,the toe kicks will match the cabinets, they just are not installed yet. Lillian, do you think I could do white built-ins in the living and keep the sand island?
    Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 11:14AM
Family room: Off white with honey glaze fireplace and bookcases, fren
Have Brazilian Cheery Floors, burgandy tufted sofa...
Glenna Dunham
What should I put above our bed
Hi! I have finally pulled together (almost done) our...
mrs_blairgiles
Updating master bath - paint cabinets or not?
I want to update my master bath without removing anything...
jaw924
redoing bedroom and master bath innavy, coral and tan.
should I paint furniture navy or coral? I'm painting...
Lisa Price
Window treatment suggestions
This room is open off of our kitchen. We use it as...
mimi0909