OLLD 1/15
creeser
January 15, 2013 in Other
Good morning ladies! What is everyone up to today?
astraea
I think it should be light already, at 7:30 AM, but that means we're having yet another overcast & unpleasant day .. albeit not cold, although a front is supposed to be moving in.

This morning I'm reminded of Charles Schultz' ("Charlie Brown") quotation, "I love mankind, it's people I can't stand." I'm active in a variety of organizations & am a hard worker, and every once in a while people's actions remind me that some are more in it for the "people politics". Makes me want to be a hermit for a while.
January 15, 2013 at 4:30am     
creeser
astraea, I so agree with the hermit idea. I find myself wanting to just sit out in my little hole in the woods and away from people more and more.
I think you're getting the front that just pounded my friend in Arkansas. We're getting the edge with a little bit of rain and then turning 'seasonable'. The bulk of it is turning north and heading towards you. They had gully washers. Streams running across drives that were 6 feet deep. Then it turned bitter cold. As she told me... 'the iceman cometh". *L*
January 15, 2013 at 4:37am     
olldroo
OMG - do you realise half of January has now passed!!!! How the days are flying, blink twice and we will be getting the Christmas decorations out again. Got a stack of marriage jokes today so lets start with a laugh

Husband texts the following message to his wife

My Love,
If You're Sleeping, Send Me Your Dreams.
If You're Smiling, Send Me Your Smile.
If You're Crying, Send Me Your Tears.
I Love You.

Wife texts back :
I'm In The Toilet,
What Should I Send You?
January 15, 2013 at 4:50am     
I'm in complete agreement with the hermit thing! And I saw on the news this morning, the rain and such that is due to pound the east coast. astraea! Hang on!

roo - funny!
January 15, 2013 at 5:22am   
trasgorshek
Thank you Roo, that was a good chuckle!

Astraea, we had the rain over the weekend. From Friday into Saturday we dropped 30 degrees. Everyone was outside enjoying the 60's and then we got blasted with 20/30's the next day with a cold strong wind. I actually prefer the cold, makes it feel more like winter, but that's a big drop. Makes the cold that much colder.

And the hermit thing...couldn't agree more. I have a real tough time with that.
January 15, 2013 at 5:43am     
olldroo
Cold here and you guys are making me colder. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to just hibernate. TS that is a huge drop in temps, the sort of thing we are getting that is making everyone sick. There was a bit on our news tonight about your flu - apparently we had it last year and sent it across to you, now they are worried we will get it back this year.

Once again, off to bed - I am feeling such a party pooper!!!! Nite.
January 15, 2013 at 5:53am     
trasgorshek
I have a question for you ladies to ponder today:

Knowing what we do and what we have seen in regards to criticism, etc. on Houzz...would you put your home up as an article if Houzz came to you and asked to showcase your home?
January 15, 2013 at 6:04am   
lisalovesquilts
Trasgorshek the short answer is no. I wouldn't be rude about someone's home but I wouldn't open myself up to unedited scrutiny. I'd be upset by non-constructive criticism and also by people offering advice where it wasn't asked for.
You all are having some awful weather. I moan about the rain and grey here but it's rarely extreme where I live. It's a bit nippy today, snow on the hills across the river (just where I like it) and it looks beautiful.
January 15, 2013 at 6:14am     
creeser
Tras, not me, because my tastes are very eclectic and far from being appealing to the masses. Hubby and I love what we have, but it's our style. I am always surprised when someone expresses more than polite compliments and genuinely likes our house.
January 15, 2013 at 6:14am     
creeser
lisa, it's unusually warm here. Last night I saw mosquitoes the size of birds tapping on the back door glass trying to get it. We need some bitter cold weather to kill off some of these pests and get their population (and size) back to normal.
January 15, 2013 at 6:16am     
lisalovesquilts
Creeser I hate biting bugs especially mosquitoes and our midges. They eat me alive. We had a lot of flies last 'summer' and I thought the birds would do the honours but no they ignored them.
January 15, 2013 at 6:23am   
creeser
lisa, people wonder what caused the dinosaurs to become extinct. I think it was mosquitoes and midges.
January 15, 2013 at 6:24am     
astraea
Tras - Really good question, and it's not just about having your house displayed, but saying anything on the internet, with your real identification on it! I was quoted in an article AARP sponsored years ago, and although my original comment started with, "Although I'm not a grandparent & don't have children ...", the author of the article identified me by name & town .. as a grandmother! When I realized the article was on the internet & wrong, I contacted both AARP & the author, and got no response!

Another time I was asked if my response to a question about inheritances could go in a finance magazine; I thought it would just be a short quote & my name in a magazine that would be read & thrown out. Instead, it was on their website (in perpetuity) with the photo I sent "for their files", and a whole screen about me & my comment.

When you permit anything to be used by outsiders, and especially on the internet, you lose all control over what happens next. The article may not even be accurate about you, your home or family, or quote you properly .. and once it's published, it's too late to do anything. And that's even before people start commenting on it! So why did I agree to give this "testimonial" on-camera, about my backup-generator (LOL). The other day they told me they'd be here "late morning" this coming Friday .. and this morning, that's changed to 8 or 9 AM!!
January 15, 2013 at 6:40am     
creeser
eztia, that is just plain cold.
January 15, 2013 at 7:05am     
michigammemom
eztia, that is just so unusual. You are actually colder than my location in the upper Midwest. Tras, I agree with most of the ollds. I might post a very limited question about throw pillows or a single piece of furniture but I would not reveal a whole room due to privacy concerns and the fact that I am thin skinned when it comes to my home. I personally picked out every surface, every doorknob and every paint color so I have no one else to blame! :)
January 15, 2013 at 8:24am     
michigammemom
judyg, is the costa rosa granite similar to costa esmerelda?
January 15, 2013 at 8:58am   
tras, My previous home was showcased in a magazine several years ago. I was swayed by flattery but would never, ever do it again. When a professional photographs your home, it is pretty hard not to present fabulous rooms. The lighting is extraordinary.

I received some lovely compliments, but surprise, some "friends" actually said nothing at all. Dead silence...worse than any criticism.

Another reason to go "hermit".

Off to see Lincoln this afternoon with my walking gang. Overcast, damp, a good day to go to the movies. Has anyone seen it?
January 15, 2013 at 9:18am     
trasgorshek
Judyg, I have been wanting to see Lincoln since it came out, but it's terribly hard for me to get to the movies. It's one of my all time passions, love the movies!! I want to see that and Zero Dark Thirty. Did get to see Les Miserables and it was fabulous! From what I hear Lincoln is very good. Really want to see Daniel Day-Lewis's performance. He's always so good. Fill us in when you get back!

As for me and the question, I throw that out there because I ask myself that very question after I read some of the harsh comments. I think I would only because it's an industry I'm trying to get into when I go back to work and I do enjoy criticism (the actual constructive kind). I often want criticism when it comes to my art or other projects, not so much subject matter but technique. But family only offers praise or 'at a boys. When it comes to the harsh comments, I look more at the person then the actual comment. There's some underlying reason for their remarks and that's for them to discover about themselves. Just unfortunate they take it out on people who were open enough to let us in to see their homes in the first place. Just a question I always ponder over when I read the articles.

Okay...next question for the day:
Who is your favorite designer on Houzz? And, if you have one, what pulls you towards their work.
January 15, 2013 at 9:34am     
TK, that would not be a good question to answer, as what we're doing/saying isn't as private as we'd like it to be, but if I had to answer I'd say.....there's this group of designers, called the OLLDs, I think they're pretty cool and good at what they do!!!
January 15, 2013 at 9:57am     
mm and feeny, costa rosa is softer and grayer than esmeralda. When I put some chips with it it is 2142-60, and 470. The kitchen cabs are acadia white, South light (ocean inlet), opens to living room, a dark interior entry, a bedroom, maybe in palladian blue, a back hall, also dark, off of which is a West bedroom which I would like to be patriotic white. I can see every room.

I love the granite (my choice), he wants a green in the kitchen and she wants a blue in the front bedroom.
January 15, 2013 at 10:21am   
judy, the costa rosa granite is very pretty, and I'm not a granite lover! Are you looking for a complimentary or contrasting color, and was it for the walls??? I'm too olld to remember. On my monitor it appears to be a greenish gray, is that right?
January 15, 2013 at 10:36am     
michigammemom
Judyg, have a look at Balboa mist...more gray than green or blue.
January 15, 2013 at 10:39am     
michigammemom
As for wanting to be a hermit, I am more than halfway there...almost 2 miles down a seasonal gravel road, very few full-time neighbors and the nearest town/shopping 20 miles away.
January 15, 2013 at 10:47am     
busylady1
Hi everyone, just checking in to see what you have all been doing today? I have been at work all day, so I have nothing exciting to report, but I had a good day and did everything That needed to be done. Think I deserve a wee glass of wine now.

Hi Olldroo, No I am not from the Isle of Harris and I have never been there. I really must explore my own country! However the Scots get everywhere, so I am not surprised to hear you have some Scottish blood in you!
January 15, 2013 at 10:48am     
mpoulsom
Howdy ladies! what's going on?
Been fairly busy so far today. At work, but also had to take the bird signs to the post office....and still have to get a birthday card for the daughter. She's the ripe young age of 26 today! Can't wait to give her the "Bathe & Brew" tonight....lol
Her mom-n-law is going over there tonight to take her out for a nice dinner at a restaurant on the water. She lives at the lake, Lake Hartwell to be exact. There are 2 really good restaurants by the marina there. One is pretty much anything you can think of type of restaurant and one is a sushi restaurant called Nami's, but they have other great entrees as well. I guess I'll be the party crasher. Oh yea, that reminds me...gotta pick up a cake too! YIKES! Didn't have time to make one this year.

Hermit: I have been one before. It was only because I was depressed though. I am naturally a social person....but I just don't go out a lot anymore. I am fine at home doing my own thing as well. :)

RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN...and the air is getting cooler by the minute.
January 15, 2013 at 11:35am   
mm, love the balboa mist. I am going to use that in the entry way where you will be looking straight at the granite. Love, love it. Thanks.

bobbi, I am looking for a complimentary green for the granite.

O K come in the front door into the fairly large entry with a fireplace. The walls here are mm's balboa mist. Trim acadia white. You are looking straight at the kitchen and granite (costs rosa) and cabinets..acadia white.

So far the best I have come up with for the kitchen walls is Par Four.
January 15, 2013 at 11:36am   
astraea
Many of my comments on articles are about practicality & safety; no one can convince me that appearance should trump either of them! On one article the other day, someone question whether one design element was to code, and the designer said it was .. but cable railings on a staircase wasn't .. but that's what the homeowner wanted. So they did something to code to get approval, then switched to the cables. Now if a doctor or lawyer did that, they could lose their licenses, for knowingly doing something illegal .. shouldn't a designer/architect have similar standards? If I fell down the stairs at that house, because the cable pulled thru my hands, also giving them a burn .. and knew the designer/architect agreed to that change, I'd include them in a lawsuit!
January 15, 2013 at 11:46am     
mpoulsom
I wouldn't astraea....merely because it was what I wanted. I would take total responsibility for my own downfall. If I was the one wanting a certain dangerous design idea. If it was the designer that wanted it, I would just refuse to do it. If any of that makes sense... :)

well, i just realized that my underoos are inside out...heavens to mergatroid!

here is the olld houzz laundry room....not my fave room in the house, but a necessity!
(how ironic..."dirty laundry" is playing on the radio right now!)
January 15, 2013 at 11:54am     
astraea
I have a friend in her 70s, who was invited to a meeting at someone's home. They didn't have a railing on the outside stairs, and she fell backwards when they opened the door, and injured herself. She didn't tell the doctor or anyone else, how she'd gotten hurt, because she didn't want to cause a problem. But the woman whose home it was knew, since they called 911 for help. She just shrugged about the suggestion that a railing was a code requirement; she didn't want to "spoil the look" of the house. Months later, my friend still gets headaches & now has a balance problem she didn't have before. The woman whose home it was, hasn't done anything to install a railing, despite seeing the potential for injury (and lawsuit!)
January 15, 2013 at 12:01pm     
creeser
MP, we STILL don't have any rain. Warm and breezy. I'm sure that's all about to change. My best friend lives in Arkansas and she sent me a photo just before lunch of either snow or ice and a disgruntled comment. They've had yucky weather since Christmas and it hasn't let up much.

astraea, your friend needs to see a good chiropractor.. Sounds like the fall did some bone damage.
January 15, 2013 at 12:05pm   
michigammemom
judyg, presuming that you want to stick with Benjamin Moore colors, but I love this Pigeon by Farrow and Ball. astraea, not so much a safety concern but when we built our house we wanted a shower in our cedar sauna whereas the building inspector demanded a non-porous material like tile. We capped the shower in order to pass inspection but immediately reinstalled the shower. mp, my "like" is for your lingerie referred to as underoos.:)
January 15, 2013 at 12:13pm     
astraea
I think I would have asked the inspector for a copy of the code section; some of them don't interpret things the right way, and others just have a bad attitude (LOL).
January 15, 2013 at 12:17pm   
creeser
astraea, you are absolutely right! We deal with inspectors a lot and there is always one in the mix that is either going to misinterpret the codes or he just wants to be ornery.
January 15, 2013 at 12:21pm   
mpoulsom
I like that green pigeon color....but i will have to bow out on this DD....this monitor at work is really weird colorwise and contrast-wise! I see things in a totally different light when I get home. And then worry later what I've done or suggested for some poor victim.

creesy...i cannot believe that you guys are not getting soaked. Steady freddy here for the last 2 days.
my ex-family all live in fayetteville, ark....and isn't texas getting unusually snowy weather this winter too. Everything's all mixed up!
January 15, 2013 at 12:25pm   
judy, when I looked up your granite, it says "Predominantly a woodland green, it contains clouds of a lite rose blush". Does that sound right to you? Would they like a rose blush paint color, or too pink?
January 15, 2013 at 2:02pm     
olldroo
Morning all. Sorry to have to say we have a beautiful clear sunny day today, not a cloud in the sky at the moment so hope that means the humidity stays down - oh rats just checked it - 70%!!! It is only 21 deg at the moment so still a bit cool indoors. I'm afraid ez -16 I cannot begin to comprehend, I would definitely have to hibernate.

I wonder whether it is an ageing thing that we do get comfortable in our own skins and with our own company. I can easily go a week at home and it doesn't bother me at all. Of course I do have so much to do anyway so I am never bored. I do have to be careful not getting too housebound though otherwise the panic attacks can start.

TK in reply to your two questions - the first is a non event because at this point in time my house would be more what not to do, however were I wealthy enough to have something to be featured I rather think my perverse sense of humour would quite enjoy any snipes. Most are only jealousy anyway. As far as designers here go, I can honestly say I don't really follow any of them, wouldn't even know who half of them are. I will read anyone's comments and take anything of interest to me personally from them. What they tell the home owner is up to that person to take what suits them. Quite frankly, I don't think I could work with a designer, I know I can be a bit of a control freak but I know what I like. I prefer to have honest friends who will make suggestions for me to consider but understand if it isn't right for me.
January 15, 2013 at 2:04pm     
olldroo
Laundry room in our house looks nice and practical, I could go that. I read an ideasbook featuring a house one time that made a comment about the laundry room having a sink and what a good idea it was for cleaning things, etc. etc. Is is not common to have tubs in laundry rooms? A laundry here wouldn't be complete without one, and a lot, like me, have double tubs. It has only been in recent years that washing machines have been separately drained, they always emptied into the tub which is why I went double so I could be using one tub while the machine drained into the other. Can't wait to get rid of them though, they are stainless steel tubs, which is fine, I like, but the cupboards are metal. Back in the olden days they used metal because of the water factor. Timber rots - but they forgot metal rusts!!!

The only problem I have with the olld laundry room is do we have to roll the towels to store? Honestly, who has the time or the inclination!!!!

Off to get into some painting today. Shower screen being installed Friday so will be much easier to have the painting finished first. Was hoping to have done it last week, but paint fumes and my tummy did not see eye to eye. BH has put one coat on everything but he has made such a mess of it I'm shuddering at how many coats it is going to take to repair his mess. If only he could understand he needs to wear his glasses!!!!!
January 15, 2013 at 2:17pm     
roo, I haven't seen a laundry room with a tub since my Grandma's house! Although it would be very handy to have a sink in the garage, I have to admit. Washing paint brushes and all that!
January 15, 2013 at 2:19pm   
olldroo
Really?? We use the laundry tubs (they are a deep sink actually) for the paint brushes, which is great, but when I mop floors I empty the bucket and rinse that and the mop in the tub, I use them for handwashing which I can then toss straight into the washing machine to spin dry, pre soaking any really dirty clothes, we wash our hands there when we have been doing any really dirty tasks, I arrange flowers there and wash the vases out afterwards, any large or awkward things are washed there - I just can't conceive living without them, where do you do all those sort of things.
January 15, 2013 at 2:38pm     
mpoulsom
Funny you should say that bob....i was just thinking sunday that I wished we had a sink in the carport area. I DO have one in the laundry room though and am grateful. It is a deep utility sink and my brushes go there, IF i don't toss them. Just can't get J to use that sink for his messes. He goes straight to the kitchen sink...
January 15, 2013 at 2:39pm   
mpoulsom
utility sink beside washer in my house and kitchen sink in my kitchen...the kitchen sink is almost as deep as the utility sink. It's crazy in design, but i love the deepness of it. You can't tell by the picture, but it's great for washing loads of greens for salads and stuff like that.
January 15, 2013 at 2:52pm     
roo, hand wash clothing, kitchen sink; pre-wash, washer; dirty floor water, toilet; everything else, kitchen sink!

MP, Love how deep your kitchen sink is! Mine is very shallow, and I have one of those faucets where the spray head pulls out and sprays everything in sight, including me. I don't even use it, it makes such a mess.
January 15, 2013 at 2:59pm   
olldroo
mp love your utility sink, that is cute.

I don't think I could wash mops, dirty buckets and that in the kitchen sink, I get a bit anal at times. Bobbi, I think we are definitely related - spray heads, I give myself a shower everytime. Knowing me I would miss the toilet with the floor water too.

BH and I just discovered a oopsy with the new bathroom fittings. We got some really nice toilet brushes, they have a container that sits on the wall with a plastic liner that comes out for cleaning and the handle of the brush has the lid for the container built onto it. Very neat and tidy - except as we got the geriatric high toilets they have a shallower bowl and the 'pipe' that goes to the bottom is then quite long and narrow so the lid gets in the way of any manoeuvring for cleaning. The stupid things you don't always think of!!!! We have decided to keep one of the old brushes in the laundry for when extra cleaning is necessary. Annoying when although we got a good price on them, they still weren't exactly cheap.
January 15, 2013 at 3:14pm   
I don't actually dump dirty water from a bucket into the toilet. I have a Hoover floor cleaner that dispenses the soap, scrubs the floor and vacuums the dirty water into a separate container. I then remove the container and pour the water into the toilet. It only holds about 2 quarts so it's not difficult. I love this floor cleaner! I use it on the kitchen/dining room floors which are tile and hardwood and it does an amazingly good job! http://www.walmart.com/ip/5723667?adid=22222222227001174649&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=13223061430&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem
January 15, 2013 at 3:21pm     
mpoulsom
i need a new faucet on the laundry room sink...it's older than dirt! one of those last things on my list....still works for now!
January 15, 2013 at 3:27pm   
I'm hoping tonight R and I can sit down and make a room-by-room list of things we hope to buy and get done before his family visits. I think they're coming late May, early June. We're up to five people now....and counting!
January 15, 2013 at 3:32pm     
mpoulsom
i'll report tomorrow and tell you how the coffee shower gift went...i'm going to try and take a pic of her when she opens it...lol
gotta go pick up a cake, run by the house and jet out to her town....gosh i wish it weren't still raining. I can't drive in the dark AND the rain! a mama's gotta do what a mama's gotta do though. I seriously don't know what I would have done with more than one child???? and I wanted to have 4 originally...before the divorce that is! ;)
January 15, 2013 at 3:39pm     
Yes! Be sure to post pics! Have fun!
January 15, 2013 at 3:41pm   
mpoulsom
Roo...forgot to tell you....I roll my towels! HA! So I won't mind doing that at the olld houzz. I roll them up and have them in a basket by the shower for easy access.
January 15, 2013 at 3:43pm   
olldroo
mp - you are a legend!!!!

Just got news Miss 6 has just started gymnastics and absolutely loves it. Yesterday was second class and she rolls her ankle in the WARMUP!!! Dr thinks she has a greenstick fracture which will mean 4 weeks in plaster, she is so active that will be a nightmare. BUT the good news is DD has just booked to come over in June.

Now I gotta get painting!!!!!!!
January 15, 2013 at 4:15pm   
nasmijati
@olldroo. May Miss 6's ankle heal completely and correctly.
January 15, 2013 at 4:36pm     
nasmijati
@olldbobbi. I found this photo today. Is this room painted in the red ochre color you like? They didn't do a good job of getting the coffee table to match the walls...
January 15, 2013 at 4:38pm   
Oh, roo, please send Miss 6 my love. I hope she heals quickly!

ez, yes! That is my beloved red ochre! Beautiful room, thank you so much for sharing!!!
January 15, 2013 at 4:55pm     
So sorry about adorable Miss 6's ankle, roo!
I'm wondering whether the deep sinks you are calling tubs are what we have in our basement laundry. There are side by side huge deep sinks that the washer empties into. Each sink is big enough to fill up with suds and completely immerse our 40 lb. dogs (one per sink), with room for them to turn around. I couldn't imagine bathing the dogs without those sink-tubs, and as they get covered in mud on their golf course romps (partly because they explore the creek beds), they are in those sinks for scrub downs almost daily.
January 15, 2013 at 5:05pm     
trasgorshek
Hi ladies, just wanted to stick my head in before bath time. Wanted to let you know Joss and Main has a few starburst mirrors under $100 right now and Joann's has their home decor fabric at 60% off (usually 40%). If you buy $50 worth then you get a 30% coupon off total purchase next week. Also, a few more paint chips for the granite (Benjamin Moore 1465 Nimbus and 2111-60 Barren Plain). Love the Nimbus, have it all over our home.
January 15, 2013 at 5:34pm     
trasgorshek
In regards to the designer question, there's no wrong in saying I love Martha O'Hara and her fresh take on traditional style and Postcards From Paris and how she mixes metals. Great designers that I love to study their work. Also, in my area we have Nell Hills. If you've never heard of her, she's worth logging onto and getting on her blog. And of course, TV personality wise is Candice Olson. Love her use of lighting. Always exciting.
January 15, 2013 at 6:01pm   
tras, that's for the fabric tips and the color suggestions. Will look at them in the morning.

Just got home from "Lincoln". A wonderful, inspiring, educational film with great actors. I recommend you see it.

Is Miss 6's ankle broken?
January 15, 2013 at 6:24pm     
olldroo
Thank you all so much for your concerns about Miss 6's ankle. DD had it x-rayed today but it had to go to a radiologist to read but the doctor was pretty sure there could be hairline fractures. Have to wait and see now. She is such a little trooper, she limped past my DD during the warmup a bit teary and said she had twisted her ankle but made no attempt to stop so the coach stopped her and put ice on it. When the actual class was due to start the coach asked her if she could walk on it, to which she replied yes and limped into the class and did the whole class on one leg, she just wasn't giving up. It was quite bruised and slightly swollen when they got home so DD iced and bandaged it and she slept ok but this morning it was even more bruised and swollen but she insisted on going to school. DD warned the teachers there could be problems so they made her go to the office for morning tea and PE and DD checked on her at lunch time, saw it was no better so took her to the drs. No really bad break evident fortunately. Typical of kids of course, DD had just paid for a term of gymnastics and swimming training.
January 15, 2013 at 8:30pm     
trasgorshek
She does sound like a trooper! I hope it's just a hairline! I'm sure she's bummed. So sorry. I know what you mean about kiddos. When my daughter was 8 she broke her wrist literally 30 minutes after we landed for horse riding camp. Talk about a lonnnnggggg week.
January 15, 2013 at 8:53pm     
olldroo
Finished one coat on bathroom walls, wasn't a lot of painting but I took it slowly and it seemed to go really well, much better than I expected, so praying now it dries ok and I may not have to do another coat. So funny trying to do over the bath, I was straddled over it to reach, but my right leg kept going into spasm. Hurt so much!! Rotten old age. Didn't get the toilet done my back is done for the day, but that can be a fresh start tomorrow.

Bobbi, you really have me thinking now when you talk about your list you need to prepare. I'll have a week more than you but I really have to sit down and think about things too and form a plan of attack. I have some items that you won't have - I have a heap of left over wool and I really want to knit some jumpers for the little bloke and free up a couple of boxes of junk and I also have to make Miss 6 a heap of doll's clothes, she just bought herself a second doll at Christmas time so all the more reason for new clothes. Why do I do this to myself!!!!!!

Your red ochre room is gorgeous - that was the colour of my old lounge room carpet. Definitely better on walls than on the floor. I love the cosy effect it gives to a room but just way to hot a colour for our climate.

Feeny - I think my tubs could be what you have, each one would hold almost a washing machine full of water and I used to bath my two cats in one of them. The service they have done is incredible but I need to get rid of the rotten metal cupboards under them, the door has fallen off one anyway, and I can easily have the washing machine drained direct and one decent sized sink will do me fine now. I will toss my dryer too as I never use it anymore and make the whole room more practical. That is the last room to be done on our renovation agenda so not really thinking about it too much.

Busylady - I don't think you would be on your own not having seen all your own country. I've barely seen half of mine, but I have gone to the Isle of Harris on Google Earth, even "drove" down the main street to the town where my great-great-grandfather was born and honestly it has to be the most desolate place on earth I have ever seen. You would really have to have a good reason to go there and I'm sure in winter you wouldn't even find the road. I would love to go over and explore for myself but these days, I'm just not a good traveller.
January 15, 2013 at 9:14pm   
olldroo
Tras that reminds me of when DD was young. She was going on a camp with a friend and everyone met at the main station here and went up the coast on the train. BH decided to be really helpful and took their luggage into the station the day before so we only had the girls to get to the station. DD's friend was fooling around with her sisters the night before and tried to jump the lounge, missed and did her ankle in so of course camp was out. DD was most upset to be going to camp on her own, although she soon found friends she knew at the station, but we were unable to retrieve the other girl's luggage, it had actually gone on to the station nearest the camp. Friend's mum spent all weekend on the phone trying to track the kid's luggage and get it returned to Syndey. Took 4 days before she could finally pick it up. We never forgot that.
January 15, 2013 at 9:25pm   
mpoulsom
ok...bday bathe and brew was a hit! i peed my pants and had mascara running down my face. Malorie bit..... hook, line and sinker! thought it was real for 10 minutes. AND we were all laughing so loud in the restaurant that everyone left! HA! bob, i owe you big time! thank you so much!
January 15, 2013 at 9:56pm     
mpoulsom
tried to do the progression of the opening of the "gift"!
January 15, 2013 at 10:02pm     
mpoulsom
she thinks it's real and loves it! tee hee
January 15, 2013 at 10:08pm     
mpoulsom
and all boo mappin cared about was the cake.....
January 15, 2013 at 10:14pm     
olldroo
You done well, mp!!! Hope you had your Depend at the ready!!

I think it is the age with boo mappin, we have a good three years of photos of Miss 6 at every birthday party, wedding, whatever, she is first in line with her plate for the cake, that is if she hadn't already claimed the closest seat.

Boo mappin is a real cutie too.
January 16, 2013 at 12:33am     
MP, too funny! It must have been great if you emptied the restaurant. You're welcome so much, I'm glad everyone enjoyed it.

roo, the only bad thing about making lists going room to room is realizing there's a lot more to do than you previously thought. And then it snowballs.....We didn't get the chance to write anything down but we did do a mental walk thru and we agreed on almost everything. That's actually pretty good for us.

TK, I thought you meant which Houzz decorator we liked the best! Sorry, I misread that. In that case it would be Sarah Richardson and Tommy Smythe for me. Although I think lately Sarah has gone off the color deep end. She's been putting too many colors in one room for my taste!

judy, thanks for the tip about Lincoln. I'll have to check it out!
January 16, 2013 at 2:54am   
olldroo
Bobbi, when lists are as long as mine, I could probably paint a room in the time it takes me to write it.

DD called in this afternoon and totally shot my paintwork into pieces. Didn't think it was that bad or is it just old eyes. This paint I am using is a semi gloss for the bathrooms and for other rooms, a low sheen which I haven't used before. The paint shop guy said I need this if I want to wash it - the dead flat shows any cleaning. The paint I have always used was a locally produced one that was half the price of the branded stuff, it was flat but it was a scrubbable vinyl and honestly you could do what you liked with it and it scrubbed up like new. The patchiness I seem to be getting I think is caused by the sheen and how the light hits it. If I look at a shiny spot from a different direction it has gone, if I look up close it isn't there either, the paint is definitely on evenly. When it was wet it looked absolutely perfect. Any ideas, it really is driving me insane.
January 16, 2013 at 3:18am   
roo, did you do two coats? The second coat should take care of any imperfections. Also, was it mixed well? That will make difference! I refuse to paint anything in flat anymore, it's so boring.
January 16, 2013 at 4:18am   
astraea
I guess I didn’t say anything about designers; I don’t have any favorites, although I agree more with some who post, than others.

I talked to 2 designers, when I first moved out on my own, into a high-rise condo. When you walked in, there was a small area right in front of the guest closet, with parquet flooring, and then you were right on the living room’s wall-to-wall carpet. I wanted some ideas about how to at least visually separate those spaces. The decorator at a large regional furniture store suggested putting the loveseat back towards the front door, with a sofa table behind it, creating the division .. a good idea. But then she suggested putting lamps on the table & making holes in the carpet, to run the wires under the carpet to the outlet .. a code violation; end of discussion. The other decorator was into Chinese, never asking what my style was or how I felt about Chinese décor. Now I’ll just ask for very specific help .. like the color expert at the paint store & the decorator at Ethan Allen, about sizes & fabrics going with what I already have.

Roo – You’ll be happy to know that Miss 6’s ankle will heal faster than a similar injury to an adult. When I was at PT back in 2011 with a fracture, a teenager came in with a similar break .. and was OK’d for a dance competition, within half as much time as I was told to take it easy!

Many homes don’t have a “laundry room” here, especially when they move the laundry equipment up to the main or bedroom level, from the basement. In my house, they took a large hall closet & made it a “laundry” .. room for the washer, dryer & hanging cabinets .. no sink. I turned my utility room in the basement into a laundry .. with a deep tub sink .. just wish it was a little larger, so I could put up a clothes line.

PS – it’s been raining here since last night (at least it’s not the snow north Jersey is getting) .. so we haven’t seen the sun since last Thursday!

Bobbi – The end of my kitchen faucet pulls out, which is neater than a spray & very convenient.
January 16, 2013 at 4:35am   
michigammemom
MP, I love your daughter's perplexed look in the final photo. Bathe & Brew??? Huh???
January 16, 2013 at 4:37am     
olldroo
Bobbi I only did one coat as BH had already put the undercoat on and done one coat although his workmanship was questionable. I was quite amazed at how well the coat I did covered all his imperfections. I spend ages mixing the paint down, this colour in particular must have black in it as before it is stirred it has a real oily look. Looks disgusting. I really worked the roller over and over and when it was wet it really looked perfect and as I say if I look at it from one side of the room it can look totally different to looking at it from the other side. It is either the light or the surface of the wall varies in smoothness which doesn't show till the paint hits it. I have never had this problem before, just wish I could still get my scrubbable vinyl.

Will have another look in the morning, there are some bits around the top of the tiles that seem to be a bit odd, I think it had plaster on some areas where there were joins that was white where the wallboard was grey so it could take a few coats to even all that out. Grrrr - was hoping this would have been easier. Will have to get it right tomorrow ready for the screen to go in on Friday.
January 16, 2013 at 4:49am   
olldroo
Thanks Astraea - I was hoping it might only be a greenstick fracture which is even quicker to heal, not sure whether they get them with ankles. Hope she has some news tomorrow. She said about 4 weeks if it is fractured and an adult is normally around 6 weeks.

Don't know what I may have copied here for sure but I have seen high cupboards that have a lift up door and a dryer rack pulls out.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/emag/bunnings/index.aspx?document=special/wet-areas-flyer_nsw-metro

These are also good if you have a solid wall and space
http://www.hsw.com.au/?product&id_prod=109&id_cat=3&id_dept=13

There are also rectangular ones that attach to the wall and fold down to use.
January 16, 2013 at 5:05am   
It's taking me hours to get email notifications! Anyone else having this same problem?

roo, don't take this wrong, ok? I think it's time we both stopped and took stock of what we're doing alone. These guys need to help us more. We're not in our 20's anymore, are we? I don't know about you, but I get tired more easily and run out of steam faster than I used to! Maybe we need to reduce our to-do list? I don't know, I just know I don't have the energy I used to and I could surely use more help, how 'bout you?
January 16, 2013 at 5:12am     
olldroo
Bobbi - been having that problem with emails for ages now but it is erratic so can't put my finger on anything.

Honestly, after I finished the bathroom today I was ready for bed and had to lie down anyway to straighten my back. There isn't room for 2 in our bathroom anyway especially with my 3 step system I use to climb, but if BH would wear his glasses and try harder, he could have had the loo painted while I did the bathroom. Can't complain too much, he took all the wall fittings down to make it easier for me and cleaned up all the brushes and roller, etc and he was working on the bathroom door with the sander that I don't touch. He also went all the way over to Ikea yesterday (an hour each way in horrible traffic I won't attempt anymore) and got a new light fitting for our dining room and some globes I haven't been able to get locally. He put the globes in my new lights in the loungeroom and fixed one that wasn't hanging right ................... oh and of course he mowed the bloody lawn!!! I would have liked him to put curtain tracks back up but that will come.

I'm definitely thinking having painters in to finish the other bedrooms, walk in and hallway, what annoys me most is how unsteady I am getting on my feet. But then I think of the money - guess I have always been like that about things I can do, but it is getting to the point where maybe something has to give. I really need to get some quotes, from what I hear it is about $1,000 a room - I could do a lot with that sort of money - but maybe if we did all the prep work and just have the ceilings and walls done, I don't mind doing the skirtings and architraves, they are easy, it might work out a lot cheaper. If I wasn't so fussy about the curtains I want, I could probably buy ready made, but again I have always made my curtains, it is time consuming but not hard. I definitely wish I had the energy though, in the past I would have had two coats on the bathroom and toilet easily in one day and then probably sat down and worked on my curtains. Even only doing one coat on the bathroom I couldn't think of doing curtains.

Just taking one day at a time at the moment and seeing how things go, cursing I got so sick last week that ate into getting things done. I think half my problem too is that giving up means I am giving in to old age and I can't stand the thought of that. I'm too stubborn for my own good. I had made my mind up before we started that this was our last assault on the house, what is done now is done forever. We were looking at a 10 - 15 year thing, if we are still alive then.
January 16, 2013 at 5:45am   
trasgorshek
Roo, you sound so much like me. I do not like paying for something when I know it's something that I can do. Even when it's not a lot of money. After I had the wainscoting put in, I worked with the contractors and told them I would do all the caulking, sanding and painting even with it being over 25 feet high. I had to do 3 coats of paint and it would have only cost $300 for the painter because of all the equipment they have. So, I think after all the pain and the thousands of trips up the ladder maybe I should have spent the $300, but it was still money saved. Can your kids help at all? Just asking because I do all my parents work now and even my sisters at times.

You always make me smile, I truly think that's why I keep coming back to the Ollds. I make my curtains as well. Starting new ones for my daughters room today. Found some Christopher Lowell fabric for $10 a yard the other day and I love it. I'll have to show you what I've started doing with them. At the base of my French pleat I put a decorative embellishment. I love it, then I can just change those out for different looks. I will take a pic later today and send you.
January 16, 2013 at 6:51am     
roo, I hear everything you're saying! I'm getting weary of painting but there are three rooms left to go. Damn that builder beige anyway. I suggested to R we hire a painter and he stared at me like I had spaghetti dripping from my head. This is the biggest problem with being a cougar. I tire much faster than he does and he doesn't get it. roo, hire a painter. If you have the means, do it and don't worry about the money spent. There are times when we have to say 'uncle' and start to enjoy life!!! I swear, after we make/complete this list, EVERYTHING is going to stay as is for a long time!!! I'm also tired of cleaning bathrooms! That tiny little bathroom is looking good, one shower and a wipe down and everything is clean!

TK, no offense, but you're crazy girl! Painting 25 foot ceilings, are you kidding me? Does $300 seem like a bargain now???? I believe I would have gone without food to pay that!
January 16, 2013 at 7:45am   
trasgorshek
Oh, Bobbi, believe me...I probably wouldn't do it again. I had just finished putting in the floor and my elbow was shot, it was a very long 2 weeks with all the stuff. I personally called it hell but I do enjoy looking at my wall and giggling to myself. Because I know the next home owner will probably come in and destroy it. Say la vie. As for $, when I take on a project I'm always working with a VERY small budget so I skimp everywhere I can. But, hind sight, oh yea I would have found the $300. My husband cringes when I go to him with one of my "design" projects. Of course he's never around to watch it happen, just see's the finished product. So, he doesn't see the process or he would probably agree, a little more $ would go a long way to saving his wife's sanity. :)
January 16, 2013 at 8:06am   
I hear you about the very small budget! Mine is miniscule, which is why I do things myself. But lately it seems that what I thought was important to get done isn't so much anymore. Or maybe I just need a break! We shouldn't have to get the flu to get some rest, you know???
January 16, 2013 at 8:49am   
astraea
Roo/MP - When we first moved to NJ (I was 27), I painted the whole interior of Mom’s 3 BR split level house .. easy because we hadn’t moved in yet, and all the carpet was being replaced. Two years later, I bought a condo, and painted that too .. even that God-awful popcorn ceiling! Then another 4 years later, I bought a 3 BR ranch house & painted that interior, also knowing all the floor coverings were being replaced .. by then I was 33. Next time I moved, I was 57, and this house has all those vaulted ceilings & a lot more trim molding. Over the years I’ve had problems with both shoulders & broke my heel bone, so climbing ladders or doing high ceilings with a long pole, would cost more in PT than the painter! So I paid to have the pros do it! They earned every penny, especially having to cover 4 rooms of royal blue paint, with something much lighter, as well as do any minor patching was necessary.
January 16, 2013 at 9:21am   
busylady1
Hi everyone
I have had a good giggle at all your comments here, about doing painting and jobs around the house yourselves. We all think the same! It doesn't matter where in the world we live, if we want a job done properly, and within a tight time scale, we just get on and do it ourselves. It is getting harder as we get older, and it takes us a lot longer to do anything, and we are struggling to find the time because we are not retired yet, but if it is possible for us to do it, then we are not going to pay someone else! We just get tradespeople in only when we have to. I don't suppose that is very good for the economy of our country, but it is much better for the economy of our household!
January 16, 2013 at 10:38am     
creeser
busylady, I agree. Do you think it's our generation? The way we were raised that prompts us to be 'do it yourself-ers'?
January 16, 2013 at 10:44am   
busylady1
Hi Creeser, it must be a generation thing! Maybe I am a little bit of a control freak too!!!! Two of my three sons don't do their own decor, they would rather pay someone else! Our middle son, does everything himself, and has now started a little business doing up homes. He can do lots of trades, shame he lives too far away to come round and fix up our place!
January 16, 2013 at 11:06am   
creeser
busylady, another generational thing. We've always done what's needed for my parents and hubby's mother. My kids don't even think of coming over to help us with things, though we have done oodles for them. Hmmm... maybe it's just my own spoiled children.
January 16, 2013 at 11:08am     
busylady1
None of my kids live close enough to come and fix anything for us, and when they come to visit we just want to spend time with them and our grand kids. It is amazing how many little jobs get done before family arrives though!
January 16, 2013 at 11:17am   
mpoulsom
you guys go to 1/16.....i can't keep track! lol
January 16, 2013 at 11:20am   
creeser
Nuh-uh, MP. I want to make you dizzy! *L*
January 16, 2013 at 11:24am   
trasgorshek
I seem to be the call fix it gal in the family. I always get a kick out of it though. Dad sits back and drinks a beer while watching me paint and says its payment for raising me. Whatever that's supposed to mean. Lol. A couple of years ago he gave me a tool belt and you could just see the joy in his eyes. Kind of like "I'm so proud of you son", look. Ummmm, dad, I'm still a girl.
January 16, 2013 at 12:02pm   
I am handy girl challenged and do nothing. Not because I'm lazy, just a terrible painter, etc. C P, who grew up in rentals and never did anything as a kid in that department, turned out to be a whiz at anything. But now, he is getting tired of it, so we hire out. We have a large population of Brazilians who work hard and do great work. We even received thank you notes from them at Christmas. Get a chuckle as they call me "Jury".
January 16, 2013 at 12:18pm     
creeser
Well, I can do a lot of basic things, but the more intense stuff, like going under the house and fixing plumbing or working with fuse boxes, I leave to my hubby. I'm more of a techie and fix the computers.

Jury... I like that!.. hubby has started hiring out for the same reason. He will go and fix stuff at friends and family, but here, he hires out. Go figure.
January 16, 2013 at 12:33pm     
olldroo
Tras, no wonder you fit in here - you are stark raving bonkers - 25' ceiling, NO WAY even in my younger days.

I do think it is a bit of a generation thing, I wrote something about this on a post the other day, that our parents were the ones who came through the depression and a WW and it's resulting shortages, they stockpiled against any future events and it had to rub off on us. I really think it got to the 70s or even the 80s before people really felt secure enough to spend freely and that is why our kids just don't have that same mindset, they don't know anything different. So many of them earn big money too compared to our day so spending doesn't bother them.

Tras, I have one DD married to a German national and lives in Germany, one married to a Yank and lives in LA which only leaves one here. We seem to do more for her though. She is going through a very nasty divorce at the moment, although she has a beautiful new partner who gives her fantastic support, and has 4 kids so works hard to support herself and them as ex is just ignoring everything.

What I am hating so much about the painting is that I just can't seem to get it right, things I never had problems with before and I just don't know why so it is driving me up the wall. My glasses definitely aren't helping, I just can't always get perspective right. I'm definitely seriously looking at getting some painting quotes to see just how expensive it is, I figure it will be more expensive if I fall and break something.

We re-mortgaged the house to pay for the renovations and the repayments are well within our means. We also took a mortgage that we can redraw on as we pay it off so it is sort of like a bottomless pit to dip into - just extends the time it takes to pay off. Doesn't bother me if we never pay it off, it is only a drop in the bucket to what the house is worth and while interest rates are so low, we aren't losing out a lot there either. I'm just trying not to blow the bank totally, especially when I still have the kitchen to do which will probably be the most expensive room. I'd like to have everything new pretty much all at once.

I freely admit to being a control freak but I'm noticing hints of this trait elsewhere so c'mon gals, fess up who else is a control freak.
January 16, 2013 at 5:45pm   
trasgorshek
Roo, I would definitely quote it out. It will save you so much time and stress, it will be worth the $. And YES, a fall is sooooooo not worth it. Enjoy the pleasure of someone else doing the work for you and stay safe! Have a beverage and watch them work, you have for sure earned it! And I am so sorry to hear about your daughters divorce. Those can be very nasty! Been there, that would be why my husband is in NC and we are here in KS...long story.

In regards to control freak....ohhhhhh 100% and can't deny it at all, can't even try. My anal-ness is a legend with those who know me. Some would say a sickness.
January 16, 2013 at 6:01pm   
roo, TK is right! Get some quotes, it might not be as $$$$ as you think!
January 16, 2013 at 6:20pm   
Need help trying to pick the right front door
Hi my houzz family :) my husband and I are replacing...
What colors with white Wassily
I have a white wassily and a black & white cowhide...
Need help for staircase in small space
I am moving to new townhome. It has Staircase off...
(Scaling) My Hubby is getting SICK of this empty room (SO AM I!!)
........... It's the first room people see when they...
Mirror mirror
Hi, I moved into my flat about 6 months ago and have...