Proper number of drawer pulls?
witchy1
How many drawer pulls should I have, 1 or 2, on a 29" wide 4" tall kitchen drawer? 1 The pulls are 4 5/8" wide overall. It's next to a 36" drawer that has 2 pulls and the 24" drawer around the corner from it has 1 pull.
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Two.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:26PM
witchy1
Do you know what the rules are?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 4:17PM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
No "rules" per se, witchy, but more common sense. If your handles were very long ones, then you could get away with only one per drawer, even with wide drawers. With shorter handles, you have to think about ease of use. At a certain point you'd be using both hands to open a drawer, and visually also a small handle in the middle of a wide drawer looks a bit skimpy.

What I do when planning the hardware layout is to look at a scale drawing of the kitchen cabinets so I can see, based on the size of the hardware selected, just how many need to go in each place.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:37PM
I like Cynthia's idea of looking at the cabinet drawings to determine number and size of pulls and knobs which will be needed. I frequently just eyeball it. Cynthia's system seems more efficient.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:41PM
witchy1
Thank you, both of you. You see I had to leave town when the pulls were installed and I didn't notice that he'd only put one on a drawer that I wanted two on, until yesterday, when I found the extra pull. It must have looked okay to me but it's now bugging me...
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:50PM
Go with your first instinct that it looked fine! It would be difficult now to fill the holes left by the single pull and change to two.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:59PM
witchy1
thanks
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 6:03PM
Walden Design Group - Cynthia Walden
If your cabinets are of good quality you will be just fine with the single pull. Except for the very low end cabinets, most cabinet makers and manufacturers use strong and durable drawer slides that will enable a filled to weight capacity drawer to glide open with ease. My personal and heavily used kitchen with vintage 1995 drawer glides has multiple 6-10 inch deep 39" wide drawers with two pulls. I always open them using only one pull, frequently using just the tip of my pinky finger, because my hands are covered with flour or worse. Design wise I likely would have suggested two pulls of your size for a 29 inch drawer, but doubt the single pull will make a bit of difference in the overall aesthetic of your new kitchen. Rest assured that while your eye may be drawn to and obsess over that 4x29 inch drawer panel and the minor dents, scratches, slightly imperfect tile, granite fissure, paint drop splatter, et al, everyone else's eye will be focused upon and complimenting you on the bigger and gorgeous picture that you've created.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 7:29PM
witchy1
Wow, it sounds like you've been living in my head as I obsess over a problem here and there. I read somewhere on a website that a drawer of 29 inches should have 2 pulls so that's why it's been bugging me.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 7:48PM
I agree with 2 to keep everything consistent.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:26AM
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
I need help with accessories and arrangements in living room. I have l
Please help me with table arrangement and book shelf...
Something Missing
Looking for ideas! I feel as though something is missing...
Guest bedroom
I have painted this room completely white. The dressers...
Black & white baths
Does brushed chrome work with blk & wht